Conference Realignment Carousel Continues

8 minutes ago, LOL said:

Someone else posted this on another thread: 

A95917-F6-0-B47-479-B-9-A1-E-56-E27816-D

I think you have most of it correct, except maybe Tech and TCU go to XVI and trade spots with CSU and Air Force--I see TCU staying in something closer to home/Texas than the PAC 16--but I have been known to be wrong before. LOL 

• Like 1

From ESPN article today on OU/Texas

Unfortunately, the future doesn't look too rosy for any of them. Industry sources indicated to ESPN on Sunday the SEC's potential additions of Oklahoma and Texas might be the first step in the formation of a single superconference, which would one day include as many as 60 teams or as few as 32. Under that scenario, powerhouse teams from the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC and Notre Dame would fold into one single entity. Those schools would play each other and no one else.

The other FBS teams, including some of the teams from the aforementioned leagues and those from the AAC, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt, would essentially drop to a lower division. Other scenarios include the formation of three or four superconferences, or some sort of alliance between the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 to offset the SEC's growing strength.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Unfortunately, the future doesn't look too rosy for any of them. Industry sources indicated to ESPN on Sunday the SEC's potential additions of Oklahoma and Texas might be the first step in the formation of a single superconference, which would one day include as many as 60 teams or as few as 32. Under that scenario, powerhouse teams from the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC and Notre Dame would fold into one single entity. Those schools would play each other and no one else.

The other FBS teams, including some of the teams from the aforementioned leagues and those from the AAC, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt, would essentially drop to a lower division. Other scenarios include the formation of three or four superconferences, or some sort of alliance between the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 to offset the SEC's growing strength.

Wow... that's either genius or madness. No real middle ground. 

23 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Basketball and baseball conference tournaments would be interesting..... 

6 minutes ago, LOL said:

Wow... that's either genius or madness. No real middle ground. 

The reason that SFA and SHSU made the move to the WAC is the above.

The forecast was for something like this where the P5 pulled away and becomes the Triple A for the NFL and did their own thing.

Moving to the WAC puts us in position to join with leftover G5 schools for the new NCAA Div 1

That will most likely have a playoff system with much more money than the current FCS has in it. 

If they NCAA had HALF A BRAIN--they would have a playoff system that actually USED the bowls games as playoff sites and then they could rule the sporting world. Then Conferences would become smaller--not because of regular season TV dollars, but because conference champions would get automatic bids into a playoff tournament. The more conference champions, the less need for 16 people to sit in a room and pick a bunch of "at-large" bids and those extra shows about the last 4 in or the last 4 out. 

• Like 3

I think the Big12 will draw Houston, Cincinatti, Memphis and Either BYU or Boise to get back to 12.  The new teams will draw significantly more money than in the conferences they are in now.  But in 2025 the new Big12 contracts will drop in payouts

16 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

This ...

I think the Big12 teams will be too smart for that.  They’re not guaranteed a season in the pac.  Who knows how many more shutdowns will happen in the next few years.  I think the best route is taking the 4 AAC teams.  If the Arizona schools want in take them too

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think the Big12 teams will be too smart for that.  They’re not guaranteed a season in the pac.  Who knows how many more shutdowns will happen in the next few years.  I think the best route is taking the 4 AAC teams.  If the Arizona schools want in take them too

I think Baylor, TCU, Okie Lite, TTech would rather join Stanford, USC, Wash St. UCLA, Oregon, Boise St, BYU  and the rest of the PAC in a more "loaded" super conference situation ... I think the Big12 is on life support at best ....

11 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I think Baylor, TCU, Okie Lite, TTech would rather join Stanford, USC, Wash St. UCLA, Oregon, Boise St, BYU  and the rest of the PAC in a more "loaded" super conference situation ... I think the Big12 is on life support at best ....

I agree with that, but the PAC has much higher academic requirements than a lot of those schools like Tech meet. BYU would be an obvious choice for them. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The pac coaches all voiced their opposition to adding the Big12 teams at pac media days.  I doubt their conference commissioner would go against a unanimous opposition 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The pac coaches all voiced their opposition to adding the Big12 teams at pac media days.  I doubt their conference commissioner would go against a unanimous opposition 

I think they will change their tune or they will fade into the sunset  .....

12 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I think they will change their tune or they will fade into the sunset  .....

Due to recent developments (between COVID and conference shakeups), their status is on the ropes. They're really only hanging on due to brand recognition at this point. That will fade very fast if they don't move just as fast to follow the current trajectory.

SEC is making a power move right now...  I expect Big Ten and ACC to follow suit rather quick.

Begun, the era of the superconference has.  

The Big XII better move fast as well. Failure to act quickly and assertively has already cost them their two biggest names. They really can't afford to wait at this point, and shooting the messenger (see: ESPN lawsuit) ain't gonna accomplish squat in the stability of the league itself. 

Expand or die. Period. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I agree with that, but the PAC has much higher academic requirements than a lot of those schools like Tech meet. BYU would be an obvious choice for them. 

In addition to the academic issues, there are a lot of political differences that I think will prohibit the PAC from inviting Baylor, TCU or BYU. As “progressive” as those left coast institutions are, I don’t think they can see their schools sharing the stage with three universities with the religious history of BYU, TCU or Baylor. I know Baylor has severed its ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, and TCU seems to be a Christian university in name only. But these are the days of cancel culture, and the leftist academia that runs west coast universities is one of the kingpins of it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I believe he should be relieved of his duties anyways. He knew Ou and Texas were unhappy and both were carrying the conference. Also helps A&M having a advantage with the sec but that wasn’t the decision to leave. Kinda surprised with being easier to get a playoff spot in the Big 12. If not expanding the playoffs I doubt they move. 

The Big12 saw that if not Texas or OU, their representative would be left out of the playoff/National championship game.  Oklahoma State didn’t get it, then TCU nor Baylor got in as a “one true co-champ”.    That should’ve told them the perception of the league outside of Tx and Ou.  They failed, plain and simple.  Sitting on their thumbs got them 

• Like 2

The Arizona schools wouldn't be improving their situation by jumping to the remnants of the Big12 ... especially if Baylor, TCU, Okie Lite or TT jump ship ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama