Conference Realignment Carousel Continues

11 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The Arizona schools wouldn't be improving their situation by jumping to the remnants of the Big12 ... especially if Baylor, TCU, Okie Lite or TT jump ship ....

They’re not gonna jump ship until Texas and Ou’s $160M get paid 

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Lower?  The pac 12 pays $32M per team, which includes all three tiers.  Big 12 is north of $35 and is tier 1&2 

That number is going down. There was a story on the Athletic about how that might drop to as low at $9m per year without Oklahoma and Texas. 

Also throw in the PAC 12 is about to renegotiate their deal as well.

20 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That number is going down. There was a story on the Athletic about how that might drop to as low at $9m per year without Oklahoma and Texas. 

Also throw in the PAC 12 is about to renegotiate their deal as well.

The contract is through 2025, wouldn’t espn have to honor the amounts til then?

23 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The contract is through 2025, wouldn’t espn have to honor the amounts til then?

I read something that suggested ESPN could adjust the number with a change to the conference membership. I know they could increase if teams were added so in theory they could decrease with teams leaving. 

Anyway you slice it though the Big 12 probably won’t pay more than the PAC-12 after 2025 so why move?

46 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I read something that suggested ESPN could adjust the number with a change to the conference membership. I know they could increase if teams were added so in theory they could decrease with teams leaving. 

Anyway you slice it though the Big 12 probably won’t pay more than the PAC-12 after 2025 so why move?

To get away from 6-7 teams that cancel your season for you at the drop of a hat

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

If the Big 12 were to poach anyone from the PAC, it would be Colorado. They are the odd duck just as WVU is to Big 12. In addition, Denver is a good media market.

I think they are a under the radar Big 10 expansion team.

On 7/26/2021 at 11:02 AM, RETIREDFAN1 said:

PAC 16:

USC

Colorado

Utah

UCLA

Arizona State

Arizona

Stanford

Washington

Oregon

Oregon State

Cal

Washington State

Baylor

Texas Tech

BYU

Boise State

The heathens in the PAC won't allow religious affiliations in their conference

On 7/26/2021 at 11:03 AM, RETIREDFAN1 said:

SEC:

Alabama

Texas A & M

Auburn

LSU

Arkansas

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Florida

Georgia

Vanderbilt

Kentucky

Tennessee

South Carolina 

Texas

Oklahoma

I'm not sure the SEC is done. 20 teams is a possibility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Sounds like the PAC 12 is going to be an idiot about this. That opens the door for the Big 12 to remain viable.

BYU, Boise, Cincy, UCF, USF, Memphis all need to approached by the Big 12.

Yep...  as blind and foolish as the Big XII leadership's been, the Pac's bias/politics/stubborness is totally providing an opening.

If I'm a Big XII guy, I go hard at Colorado and Arizona schools. Then try to accomodate BYU/Boise, and those other schools you mention. 

Obviously it's not optimal, but it's a helluvalot more stable than sitting on your hands and filling lawsuits. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Baron said:

Sounds like the PAC 12 is going to be an idiot about this. That opens the door for the Big 12 to remain viable.

BYU, Boise, Cincy, UCF, USF, Memphis all need to approached by the Big 12.

The Arizona teams just became a legit option for the Big12 then.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The Arizona teams just became a legit option for the Big12 then.  

Yeah. While the Pac is hanging on to its tradition, culture, and "helmet school" recognition, the ground is shifting under their feet. 

Plus, a bigger slice of their "bigger" TV revenue doesn't count for a hill of beans if there are no games played. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yeah. While the Pac is hanging on to its tradition, culture, and "helmet school" recognition, the ground is shifting under their feet. 

Plus, a bigger slice of their "bigger" TV revenue doesn't count for a hill of beans if there are no games played. 

I honestly saw that mentality coming.  I always felt like AZ and ASt should’ve been invited before Col left.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Wouldn’t leave a stable one for at the time unstable one. Looks decent now that Ou and Tex will be gone.

What is so stable about the Pac?  

Oklahoma state, Kansas state, Iowa state, tcu, tech, Arizona state, Arizona,  Houston, Cincinatti, Memphis, Baylor, and Colorado would be as good as the Pac currently is.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

At the time 2011 it was far more stable. Not stable now cause there Tv rights will soon expire and they’re getting left out as a power 5 strength war. Like Texas it is bad that usc and Oregon are mediocre. 

The landscape of college football is changing.  We will see super conferences and a 12 or 16 team playoff within 5 years I’d say.  The pac has just said they intend on doing absolutely nothing as far as expansion.  They’re watching what is going on with the Big12 right now and still having that mindset.  When the playoff expands, that’s more opportunity for more money and more teams in the playoffs.  The Pac will do good to get one team in.  Now, I honestly don’t think there’s any teams, regionally speaking, that will help their cause in the matter so I understand their mindset.  However that is the mindset that the Big12 had under Bowlsby and look what just happened.  The Big12 could offer the Arizona schools a nice exit strategy when the come into $160M within the next year.  

• Like 1

Don't kid yourselves, there are zero schools out there available that are going to even come close to replacing what the B12 is losing in Texas and OU .... short of a Notre Dame, it just ain't happening .... the Arizona schools? .... pleeeeeze!!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Don't kid yourselves, there are zero schools out there available that are going to even come close to replacing what the B12 is losing in Texas and OU .... short of a Notre Dame, it just ain't happening .... the Arizona schools? .... pleeeeeze!!!!

Who said they’d replace them?  Just sturdying up the conference or die

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Who said they’d replace them?  Just sturdying up the conference or die

I don’t see a whole lot of upside for any "name" school joining the Big12 .... or for any of the current Pac12 schools to join the Big12 ... why would the Az schools leave a stronger situation in the Pac12? ....

16 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I don’t see a whole lot of upside for any "name" school joining the Big12 .... or for any of the current Pac12 schools to join the Big12 ... why would the Az schools leave a stronger situation in the Pac12? ....

Did they play a full season last year?  How can you recruit if over half the teams cancel games with You due to state legislatures shutting it down???  This may last 4-5 years!!  Who knows

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Did they play a full season last year?  How can you recruit if over half the teams cancel games with You due to state legislatures shutting it down???  This may last 4-5 years!!  Who knows

That was last year, basically a bump in the road, doubt it happens again.  Can’t base this realignment frenzy on last year ....