"If" by Rudyard Kipling

mellon

6 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

K Falcon, I’m not sure why i got the thumbs down but I’m guessing the Trump part of my comment. 

Part of the poem states “If all men count with you, but none too much” 

That poem with a Donald video seemed “too much”

Nice guess .... that poem by Kipling could have been written for Donald Trump .... it fits him very well .... it's one of my favorite poems too .... along with ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

K Falcon, I’m not sure why i got the thumbs down but I’m guessing the Trump part of my comment. 

Part of the poem states “If all men count with you, but none too much” 

That poem with a Donald video seemed “too much”

I had the same thought as you, trashy, although the Trump theme wasn’t a perfect fit for me as well, (I don’t think Kipling was thinking specifically about men exactly like Trump, rather, more humble men at much lower stations in Life..) I think his point was more that even the most humble man can achieve equal greatness if he stays true to all he believes... just my $ .02

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Nice guess .... that poem by Kipling could have been written for Donald Trump .... it fits him very well .... it's one of my favorite poems too .... along with ....

That is another great work from another great poet. Poetry is a dying art form it seems; This world is spinning much too fast for most people to stop & look & listen to their surroundings, I guess.. 😧

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

That is another great work from another great poet. Poetry is a dying art form it seems; This world is spinning much too fast for most people to stop & look & listen to their surroundings, I guess.. 😧

Say what, poetry is out there on every radio station--especially all the hip hop and rap stuff-I mean it all rhymes. :rofl:

1 minute ago, DannyZuco said:

Say what, poetry is out there on every radio station--especially all the hip hop and rap stuff-I mean it all rhymes. :rofl:

I knew someone would bring that up; Those people are trying to make a buck & make a name for themselves. 

I’m not sure the Kiplings & Frosts of the 17th & 18th century were similarly motivated. 

Just now, CarthDawg77 said:

I knew someone would bring that up; Those people are trying to make a buck & make a name for themselves. 

I’m not sure the Kiplings & Frosts of the 17th & 18th century were similarly motivated. 

Don't those guys also write about the injustices of the world during those centuries or the way they saw the world--what is the difference between them and now--supposedly rappers and songwriters are telling the stories through their eyes, not conventional societies eyes. While I don't like a lot of rap or hip hop music, it is people out there trying to earn money, trying to tell a story--instead of taking handouts from the government--which some may do, but it seems they are trying to earn a quick buck. 

Isn't that the reason we have so many 1 Hit Wonders? LOL 

24 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Don't those guys also write about the injustices of the world during those centuries or the way they saw the world--what is the difference between them and now--supposedly rappers and songwriters are telling the stories through their eyes, not conventional societies eyes. While I don't like a lot of rap or hip hop music, it is people out there trying to earn money, trying to tell a story--instead of taking handouts from the government--which some may do, but it seems they are trying to earn a quick buck. 

Isn't that the reason we have so many 1 Hit Wonders? LOL 

I take you point, however I don’t see their “work” being around as long as the others.

8 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I take you point, however I don’t see their “work” being around as long as the others.

Very True, but how many other authors of the 17th and 18th Centuries do we have NO idea about, that would have been considered successful back then? 

1 minute ago, trashyhound said:

Bull 💩

What then is Joe Biden’s talent? 

1. Being a puppet

2. Being a lifelong politician--there is a talent to being elected to over 50 years of service in Washington DC. If it wasn't a talent--we'd all be there. 

10 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

1. Being a puppet

2. Being a lifelong politician--there is a talent to being elected to over 50 years of service in Washington DC. If it wasn't a talent--we'd all be there. 

Ok, so he does have a talent. I’ll be danged. 

5 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Exactly.  I'm going to rue the day when oldies stations carry rap/hip hop music.  Those are the only stations I listen to, because I think music died to an extent in 95.  A few of the older Classic Rock bands still put out a good song, but even that's rare.  

• Like 1