UPDATE: Southlake QB Quinn Ewers skipping senior season, to enroll early at Ohio State

Eagleborn

1 hour ago, PelvisPresley said:

I mean, hey we live in a world of marshmallow cream athletes now. Just look at this last year...the top women's tennis player Naomi Osaka pulls out of a grand slam (biggest of the big tournaments) because of mental stress "talking" to reporters, etc then skips the next two grand slams. Now, Simone Biles (the most famous and celebrated gymnast ever) screws over the US team at the Olympics and then also pulls out of the individuals because of mental stress (really when it seemed she didn't have a perfect event, and probably would have had to answer a ? or two about it, blah). NBA players are talking about the stresses and mental strains and pull out. High profile sports is tough...it goes with being successful. It's a major part of winning...dealing with the difficulty of the mental game and loneliness of handling it and staying "on top". It wears me out seeing and hearing the non-sense...  

In regards to the stresses of being out there in front of the world playing...Jackie Robinson (MLB) at his highest, made $39,750 in a season...Jim Brown (NFL) $50,000...Bill Russell (NBA) $100,000...

these guys were taking some freaking abuse!!! talk about needing a mental break, but no way...

Naomi Osaka earned $37.4 million during this last year...Andrew Luck was making roughly $29 million that year he blew up the Colts...Kevin Love is making $31.36 million to still be half in and half out.

tougher times to play, maybe...but we have built softer kids/athletes too...that's why they are so willing to walk away and take a "mental break"...quit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have no criticism or comment on any athlete pulling themselves out of competition for mental or physical reasons. The level of mental and physical strain required to perform at the highest levels is off the charts. These people are the 1 percent of the 1 percent. The elite of the elite. If they feel like they need to take a break (for whatever reason), that's totally their business. 

But I do have issue with the media making martyrs or heroes (or villains!) out of them. That doesn't help. Better to just back off and give them space. 

4 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

It is easy to call these players selfish, and it's not entirely wrong, but it's also not that simple. Most of us (and I'd say nearly ALL of us) have no idea what these kids' lives are like. We have no idea who they've got in their ears, and what they're being told. You also have no idea what they have going on their lives, the needs they have, the needs their families have, and the pressure these young men MIGHT be under to pull those families up out of that situation. Meanwhile, culturally, it's plain as day that we live in a world that is increasingly about the haves and the have nots, and if you're a have not, there's not much you can do about it. Ever. You can work hard, really hard, and eek out a "comfortable," life, but you aren't ever going to be a "Have." You can argue that all you want, but the state of American "capitalism" has the deck stacked so high against those without that you're not going to make it to the "haves" without a metaphorical (or literal) body count. You can list out contrary examples of this and I'll tell you those are all outliers, and they are, and they're the same ones the billionaires and mega-billionaires throw out too just to keep the little man greasing the cog of the complex machine that continues to support the 1%. Along with that, our culture places a massive emphasis on "making it." Some of you mentioned the fame and fortune aspect, which has always been around, but it's heightened nowadays by the pervasive, all-too-often toxic presence of social media and elsewhere. So you've got these kids who look like a golden ticket to a seat at the big-kids table, and you've also got a whole lotta sharks who see that and want a slice of the pie, and what do you think those people -- the ones who stand to benefit from these kids success -- are telling these kids? I guarantee you it's not, "just be a kid," or "just have fun," or "enjoy your senior year," or "live in the moment," or "think about the team," or "cross that bridge when you get there." Hell no. It's for sure along the lines of "You gotta do you," "You gotta look out for yourself," "It's an investment in YOUR future," "Now's the time," "This is your chance to succeed," "That's a lot of money," "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," "You've got a long career ahead of you, so protect it." And there is some truth to all those things, but when they're departing a deceitful, greedy, manipulating tongue, they lose that truth.

The fact that any of you would judge these kids, criticize these kids, and WORSE that you would literally wish for their failure is atrocious. They're kids, man. They're FREAKING KIDS. And you all were kids once too. And this world is different than the one you grew up in, and the way you did things may not work for these kids these days. And if any of you ANY OF YOU had been presented with the chance to make millions of dollars when you were 17 or 18, you'd have jumped on that chance, and if you say otherwise, you're lying through your teeth. If you want to criticize someone, criticize the adults in these kids lives that are advising them to grow up sooner than they should, who are going to be the reason some of these kids end up in therapy when they realize they lost a pivotal point of their childhood and don't know how to process or cope with actual problems without resorting to childlike behavior. Criticize the system that's enabling this. Take a good look at yourself and at your closely-held belief systems and see if maybe that's contributing to this broken system. I know I've looked in the mirror and found a lot of selfishness and judgemental attitudes and beliefs in myself that I've had to deal with.

The whole thing is sad. It's sad that these kids feel like they HAVE to choose this kind of thing. It's sad they're being forced into these choices. It's really, really sad they can't just be kids and just keep playing kids games with their friends and having a hell of a lot of fun, racking up memories and stories to tell years later. Because one day they're going to wake up and it's all going to be gone anyway, and then what? Apart from those who have had really traumatic childhood experiences and tough upbringings, nobody ever looked back and regretted being a kid. I wish we had a system that allowed guys like this to continue to be just that, a kid.

You sound like AOC...No place in the world has the upward mobility of the US.  Yeah, the rich are getting richer, but so are the rest of us.

These kids are in a tough spot and have to make a decision that will affect their whole lives.  Hopefully they have family members and mentors who are advising them on what will be best for the kids, but I'm sure they will have some selfish individuals in their ears also.

This is a choice that shouldn't have to be made.  College coaches should be ashamed of themselves if they are encouraging kids to forego what could be one of the best seasons of their lives for the benefit of the university.  The push to pay "amateur" athletes beyond paying for their schooling (something that apparently is so darn expensive that half the country needs that debt forgiven or something.) is ridiculous and will lead to even worse imbalance in competitiveness than we already have in college sports.

I think it is selfish on both accounts.  Not necessarily wrong though.  Just like everything else, people have to weigh the pros and cons of their decisions.  In America we should have that right in all areas of our lives.  It may be bad for high school football, but it isn't these kids jobs to look out for the well-being of the UIL.  Let's just hope it doesn't turn in to a major trend and is just something that is a rare occurrence.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PelvisPresley said:

I mean, hey we live in a world of marshmallow cream athletes now. Just look at this last year...the top women's tennis player Naomi Osaka pulls out of a grand slam (biggest of the big tournaments) because of mental stress "talking" to reporters, etc then skips the next two grand slams. Now, Simone Biles (the most famous and celebrated gymnast ever) screws over the US team at the Olympics and then also pulls out of the individuals because of mental stress (really when it seemed she didn't have a perfect event, and probably would have had to answer a ? or two about it, blah). NBA players are talking about the stresses and mental strains and pull out. High profile sports is tough...it goes with being successful. It's a major part of winning...dealing with the difficulty of the mental game and loneliness of handling it and staying "on top". It wears me out seeing and hearing the non-sense...  

To whom much is given, much is required!     Today’s professional athletes need to realize it!    

8 hours ago, PelvisPresley said:

In regards to the stresses of being out there in front of the world playing...Jackie Robinson (MLB) at his highest, made $39,750 in a season...Jim Brown (NFL) $50,000...Bill Russell (NBA) $100,000...

these guys were taking some freaking abuse!!! talk about needing a mental break, but no way...

Naomi Osaka earned $37.4 million during this last year...Andrew Luck was making roughly $29 million that year he blew up the Colts...Kevin Love is making $31.36 million to still be half in and half out.

tougher times to play, maybe...but we have built softer kids/athletes too...that's why they are so willing to walk away and take a "mental break"...quit.

Exactly,  can you imagine Michael Jordan losing the first two games of a playoff series and sitting out the series bc its just to hard. No way dude was a champion and competitor this new age nonsense is a joke. 

13 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Show of hands yes or no ONLY answers (All that irrelevant bs will be ignored): you afraid of money as a teenager?

No, but teenagers don’t know how to manage money and will be in debt over their heads and lose everything they have and that’s where the problem is. They won’t know how to start from ground zero and work their way back up. Too many entitled people these days. Heck, most adults can’t even manage money. 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, JBizzle said:

You sound like AOC...No place in the world has the upward mobility of the US.  Yeah, the rich are getting richer, but so are the rest of us.

These kids are in a tough spot and have to make a decision that will affect their whole lives.  Hopefully they have family members and mentors who are advising them on what will be best for the kids, but I'm sure they will have some selfish individuals in their ears also.

This is a choice that shouldn't have to be made.  College coaches should be ashamed of themselves if they are encouraging kids to forego what could be one of the best seasons of their lives for the benefit of the university.  The push to pay "amateur" athletes beyond paying for their schooling (something that apparently is so darn expensive that half the country needs that debt forgiven or something.) is ridiculous and will lead to even worse imbalance in competitiveness than we already have in college sports.

I think it is selfish on both accounts.  Not necessarily wrong though.  Just like everything else, people have to weigh the pros and cons of their decisions.  In America we should have that right in all areas of our lives.  It may be bad for high school football, but it isn't these kids jobs to look out for the well-being of the UIL.  Let's just hope it doesn't turn in to a major trend and is just something that is a rare occurrence.

What guarantee is it that this kid or any high school senior is going to be a star in college. 

The biggest issue of them all is the schools are willing to accept these kids onto their teams after they quit.  The money will be there for Ewers what won't be there are the other seniors on that Southlake team.  He just bounced on them and that's ok.  So we will go to Ohio State make a little change for his own image and likeness and be good with that.  The other kid whom I read may have changed his mind is going to work out with his personal trainer instead of playing with those seniors and then roll into Texas.  Both will be hailed as leaders and team players when these college football announcers on Saturdays speak their names and everyone forgets about those other kids they flat out quit on for whatever the reason.  Im 40 years old how many of you guys posting had a dad that would've told you it was ok to quit for money or whatever in high school?  Just curious 🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldschool32 said:

The biggest issue of them all is the schools are willing to accept these kids onto their teams after they quit.  The money will be there for Ewers what won't be there are the other seniors on that Southlake team.  He just bounced on them and that's ok.  So we will go to Ohio State make a little change for his own image and likeness and be good with that.  The other kid whom I read may have changed his mind is going to work out with his personal trainer instead of playing with those seniors and then roll into Texas.  Both will be hailed as leaders and team players when these college football announcers on Saturdays speak their names and everyone forgets about those other kids they flat out quit on for whatever the reason.  Im 40 years old how many of you guys posting had a dad that would've told you it was ok to quit for money or whatever in high school?  Just curious 🤔

The good teammates would want what's best for their brother/teammate I'm sure any team would stand behind any teammates decision. Since tomorrow isn't guaranteed most teammates have the mentality of " the next guy up ". JMO

I could see that if there was some type of cap or this is his only opportunity to make that money.  If let's say his family needs that then yes by all means go for it.  However he's going to graduate early if im not mistaken so we are talking 5 more months to play with the kids you've played your whole life with and get that state title that eluded you last year.  That would've rubbed me all kinds of wrong at that age.  Certain circumstances of course make it happen man but just cause yeah thats no ok in my book.  

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 3:50 PM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

This kind of thing is going to keep a whole lot of high schools across the country from winning additional state championships in the future. 
You have to believe if Ewers leaves SLC a year early skipping his senior season their chances of winning state drop by at least 50%. 

State championships do not mean as much to all players. 

You guys do know that kids in other sports have been doing this for a very long time.  Bryce Harper left high school 2 yrs early to play at a JUCO so he could up his MLB stock.   I could show you plenty of examples outside of fooball and basketball where this happens.  Don't hear anyone complaining about that.  But since football is our favorite sport, now we upset.  I may not agree with it, mainly because until you are older, you don't realize that high school and college are the best yrs of your life.  BUT...its not like these kids are committing a crime.  Money talks and it has always been the ultimate factor in decisions people make...Adults or Kids.  People quit their jobs, uproot their families, bet on bitcoin, gamble...etc just for the chance for more money.  This ain't no different. 

• Like 4

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Southlake QB Quinn Ewers skipping senior season, to enroll early at Ohio State