UPDATE: Southlake QB Quinn Ewers skipping senior season, to enroll early at Ohio State

Eagleborn

8 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

You guys do know that kids in other sports have been doing this for a very long time.  Bryce Harper left high school 2 yrs early to play at a JUCO so he could up his MLB stock.   I could show you plenty of examples outside of fooball and basketball where this happens.  Don't hear anyone complaining about that.  But since football is our favorite sport, now we upset.  I may not agree with it, mainly because until you are older, you don't realize that high school and college are the best yrs of your life.  BUT...its not like these kids are committing a crime.  Money talks and it has always been the ultimate factor in decisions people make...Adults or Kids.  People quit their jobs, uproot their families, bet on bitcoin, gamble...etc just for the chance for more money.  This ain't no different. 

Thank you! Yall hear the crickets? Besides, i think state championships are more precious for those who will not continue to play in college. JMO

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

You guys do know that kids in other sports have been doing this for a very long time.  Bryce Harper left high school 2 yrs early to play at a JUCO so he could up his MLB stock.   I could show you plenty of examples outside of fooball and basketball where this happens.  Don't hear anyone complaining about that.  But since football is our favorite sport, now we upset.  I may not agree with it, mainly because until you are older, you don't realize that high school and college are the best yrs of your life.  BUT...its not like these kids are committing a crime.  Money talks and it has always been the ultimate factor in decisions people make...Adults or Kids.  People quit their jobs, uproot their families, bet on bitcoin, gamble...etc just for the chance for more money.  This ain't no different. 

What about if a player skips his senior season because he’s afraid to be injured? No NIL involved, not graduating early. 

31 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

What about if a player skips his senior season because he’s afraid to be injured? No NIL involved, not graduating early. 

Its the same thing.  Do you know how many schools have pulled scholarships from injured high school kids.  Happens all the time.  A scholarship for many families is the same as a payday.  I wouldn't do it...it BUT I understand why he did it.

playing for state and enjoying you senior yr is great and I wouldn't skip it...but the ultimate goal for him is to get a scholarship...play big time college football and got to the league.  If this gives him a better chance to do that and the University he is going to doesn't have a problem with it...then we shouldn't either. It has no affect on us. If anything, opposing temas are happy this happen...lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Timboslice79 said:

Point is these kids quit on their teammates. Making excuses for why thats ok is bularky. Who's to say they don't get hurt right out the gate in college? Quitting is Quitting no matter how you spin it. 

not making excuses at all. I already said that personally I wouldn't do it.  

You can look at this several ways. Some say he quit on his team, some would say he is betting the house on himself.  

by the way...what about the kids walking the hallways at school who quit playing football. I would bet you could find plenty of kids who were starters on freshman and JV that quick just because they don't want to play anymore, the coach yelled at them, they lost their starting spot, they want to work a job....Are they selfish?   

Whether we like it or not, sports is now a business and it starts at the High School level now.  These Kids and their families are making business decisions. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Its the same thing.  Do you know how many schools have pulled scholarships from injured high school kids.  Happens all the time.  A scholarship for many families is the same as a payday.  I wouldn't do it...it BUT I understand why he did it.

playing for state and enjoying you senior yr is great and I wouldn't skip it...but the ultimate goal for him is to get a scholarship...play big time college football and got to the league.  If this gives him a better chance to do that and the University he is going to doesn't have a problem with it...then we shouldn't either. It has no affect on us. If anything, opposing temas are happy this happen...lol

Figured you’d say something like that. 

1 minute ago, Eagleborn said:

Figured you’d say something like that. 

hey man...I get it. I understand why it bothers you. Like I said I wouldn't do it...but at the same time I understand why these kids are making this decision.  College football has made things this way. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

hey man...I get it. I understand why it bothers you. Like I said I wouldn't do it...but at the same time I understand why these kids are making this decision.  College football has made things this way. 

Because I don’t agree with something doesn’t mean I’m bothered by it. At the end of the day no one’s opinion matters. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Timboslice79 said:

Point is these kids quit on their teammates. Making excuses for why thats ok is bularky. Who's to say they don't get hurt right out the gate in college? Quitting is Quitting no matter how you spin it. 

I wonder if he gets to start and has an outstanding freshman yr at Ohio State, would he decided to quit college just to focus on getting drafted with that lil experience, if I was NFL team, I wouldn't touch him if he decides to do that.

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Southlake QB Quinn Ewers skipping senior season, to enroll early at Ohio State

If he is going to college early I am good with that, if he is just sitting out to avoid injuries I think that is lame.  I knew a kid that left high school early to go to college and prepare to be a DR is there anything wrong w that?

Money drives everything. Always has, it's just far more transparent now.

So, when the Alabama OG sees his Alabama QB pull up in his $100K sports utility vehicle and the OG is still driving a hoopty, hmmmm, when does that become an issue in the locker room? What if the QB starts "loaning" his teammates some of his sponsorship money? How does that work?

NIKE: "Hey QB, if you sign here for "X" dollars, you'll have enough money to "loan" a new recruit money to get him away from (name the school).

It's coming . . .

In a few years, we'll see 2nd graders making athletic commitments based on their genetic profile. Real Star Trek stuff (yeah, dating myself there, I know) :).

1 hour ago, TDJ89 said:

I wonder if he gets to start and has an outstanding freshman yr at Ohio State, would he decided to quit college just to focus on getting drafted with that lil experience, if I was NFL team, I wouldn't touch him if he decides to do that.

Doubtful he would start since they have three 5 star QBs on roster now. First time since Texas I believe in early 2000s. 

He left early for the money... Kid from Houston or wherever isn't playing to train. 

2 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers officially enrolling early at Ohio State https://t.co/r1ZbEoTKI4

How in the wide world of sports can you just "elect" to graduate from high school early?   Hell, if I'd have known that was an option, i would have elected to graduate early too .... :woot:

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

How in the wide world of sports can you just "elect" to graduate from high school early?   Hell, if I'd have known that was an option, i would have elected to graduate early too .... :woot:

Have your grades/credits right. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

How do you get enough credits to graduate a 4 year high school program in 3 years? .... sounds fishy as hell to me ....

Summer School classes. 

Also it could depend on what classes you're taking. I took a class my SR year where you had to be employed, that class got me 4 credits and allowed me to go my entire SR Year with only 4 classes (school in the morning, out of school by lunchtime)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Have your grades/credits right. 

Shoot, waaaaaay back in the '90s my senior year was mostly "electives" because I'd inadvertently "front-loaded" my high school credits by taking Spanish I and Algebra 2 as a freshman. In the second semester of my senior year I had an economics class, a study hall, lunch, then hung out in the field house watching game film until 7th period Athletics. 

These days you have high school students graduating with whole semesters of college credit. At Longview ISD there are large numbers of students who graduate from high school with their college degrees (Associates) at the same time they graduate from high school. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Who does that? Why do you need extra credit? 

16 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

It's alot of kids who do it. 

There are a lot of reasons, one of the main ones is college preparedness. As a dad of two recent high school graduates, both of my children could've graduated early to attend college, were they so inclined. They had plenty of credits to do so. 

It's very common among ambitious and/or more accomplished families...  which is likely the case with Quinn Ewers.

• Like 2