Why are we celebrating Simone Biles for quitting the Olympics? One of the greatest Olympians gave up when the going got tough. That’s sad, not heroic.

RETIREDFAN1

1 hour ago, PepeSilvia said:

Legit question. Why are you so intent on bashing Biles for making a decision that could potentially damage her for life?  I mean I think I know why but I want to hear what type of excuse you will come up with. 

I didn't write the article....i simply posted it....but I agree....she quit her team....she should not be celebrated for that......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

I didn't write the article....i simply posted it....but I agree....she quit her team....she should not be celebrated for that......

I don't think she quit on her team.  I think she did the right thing by benching herself.  Had she tried to compete and failed, and the coach pulled her (if that was possible) people would be screaming for the coach's head.  She had the yips, and we've all known a professional athlete that got them, and eventually they were either forced to retire by being released or they played a different position such as Rick Ankiel.  Should she be lauded no, but I don't think people should be criticizing her like they are.  In 4 years she may not even make the Olympic team.  I checked last night and the last time someone under 20 won the all around gymnastics title was in 1972 and they were in their early 20's.  You would think that they would be in their prime, but that's not the case with female gymnasts.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PepeSilvia said:

Legit question. Why are you so intent on bashing Biles for making a decision that could potentially damage her for life?  I mean I think I know why but I want to hear what type of excuse you will come up with. 

Every decision we ever make could damage us for life but we keep going. At least some of us do!

On 8/3/2021 at 11:51 AM, Straw said:

Every decision we ever make could damage us for life but we keep going. At least some of us do

No one here have competed on that type of level before so it's hard for me to condemn somebody for doing what's best for them in that situation because I know nothing about that situation.

7 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

No one here have competed on that type of level before so it's hard for me to condemn somebody for doing what's best for them in that situation because I know nothing about that situation.

You don't quit on your team for any reason.....

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 1:18 PM, PepeSilvia said:

Also, by her stepping aside when she new she couldn't be at her best she ultimately HELPED HER TEAM.  Didn't her alternate win 2 medals?  That's maturity.   That's also leadership.   She did the right thing.   

Simone Biles is one of the greatest athletes of all time.   I respect her decision.  She has displayed EXTREMELY mature behavior consistently throughout her career.   Why have people vilified her, her entire career?  Shes awesome.   Shes a sweetheart.   

16 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

Simone Biles is one of the greatest athletes of all time.   I respect her decision.  She has displayed EXTREMELY mature behavior consistently throughout her career.   Why have people vilified her, her entire career?  Shes awesome.   Shes a sweetheart.   

Yeah Im not feeling my best today, think I will leave my job during the busiest part of the day and leave my guys out to dry. After all, I will still be called the greatest!

12 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

Ok boomer.   You do that.   

Boomer? lol....not even an insult but since now I know your generation is a bunch of quitters and whiners, I know what to expect out of you.

Just now, RETIREDFAN1 said:

She quit ob her TEAM in the TEAM competition aspect.....she is a quitter......

She was adopted at a fairly early age but had been through foster services for about 3 years.  Since then shes has become the face of women's gymnastics because of her dominance in the sport.   

Womens physiology is different than men's.  Their cycles often effect their mood and mental health.   We don't know exactly what happened and I respect her decision.   By stepping aside when she wasn't at her best another young lady was able to win medals in her place.   That takes maturity and leadership.   

5 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

She was adopted at a fairly early age but had been through foster services for about 3 years.  Since then shes has become the face of women's gymnastics because of her dominance in the sport.   

Womens physiology is different than men's.  Their cycles often effect their mood and mental health.   We don't know exactly what happened and I respect her decision.   By stepping aside when she wasn't at her best another young lady was able to win medals in her place.   That takes maturity and leadership.   

A quitter is a quitter.....rationalize and defend all you want if it makes you feel warm and cozy......ill speak the truth....Simone Biles is a quitter.....

• Like 1