The Answer to Opting Out of Your Senior Year of High School/College Football in Anticipation of Future Money

FlowJack

Each NFL team creates their own minor league club

Future NFL drafts include high school graduates that don't opt out their senior year

If you get drafted and sign to play for a minor league club, or straight to the NFL, you forfeit your amateur status and can never play college football 

If you decline the draft and accept an athletic scholarship you cannot opt out for future drafts until after 4 years, excluding a redshirt year, of college participatio

Just my thoughts and I would love to hear other opinions or ideas

Guest Tiger03lb

Honestly, this is my opinion. If I were able to play football in these times. Why not go to college and get a degree and make money now while going, since you can now. Then develop as you go.

I'd feel like players would need some type of development before going pro. 

Good concept though

1 minute ago, Tiger03lb said:

Honestly, this is my opinion. If I were able to play football in these times. Why not go to college and get a degree and make money now while going, since you can now. Then develop as you go.

I'd feel like players would need some type of development before going pro. 

Good concept though

Most of the kids playing in the minors will be college age, where they are prepared for the NFL.  The kids that are looking toward the NFL can draft early so they don't have to follow collegiate requirements.  If you believe college football is as far as you wil go, take the scholarship and develop academically.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:14 AM, FlowJack said:

Each NFL team creates their own minor league club

Future NFL drafts include high school graduates that don't opt out their senior year

If you get drafted and sign to play for a minor league club, or straight to the NFL, you forfeit your amateur status and can never play college football 

If you decline the draft and accept an athletic scholarship you cannot opt out for future drafts until after 4 years, excluding a redshirt year, of college participatio

Just my thoughts and I would love to hear other opinions or ideas

Well...the NFL already has a minor league....Its called "NCAA College Football"

these kids aren't ameateurs anyway. Ask anyone who has played Div.1 or 1-AA.  They are there to make these schools money...and now with NIL they are going to get paid.  That's why these kids are going to opt out, because with NIL, they will have boosters/sponsors offering them a load of money to sign with certain schools. These scholarships are going to become less important once the NIL money rolls in...they will only be just icing on the cake. I wouldn't be shocked after NIL if scholarships start to disappear.  Heck if a kid getting 100k a year, he don't need one anyway...lol. 

There is already a rule that you have to be 3 yrs removed from High school to sign with NFL because the NFL don't won't to sign high school kids.  The NFL is in the business of signing ready talent that can come in and take the place of aging veterans because you can get them for cheaper. In the NFL,  outside of QB and kicker, they want talent 30 and under, but mature and strong enough to handle the game and high school age kids aren't ready to do that. 

This is really a college football problem..which they created because the NCAA has falsely claim that they are in amatuer athletics, when really they are just big business. I think its too late to fix this issue because kids are aware of the money and they are going to get it. 

By the way, kids in other sports have been doing this for a while. Bryce Harper left high school 2 yrs early to play at a Junior College so he could get a MLB pro contract sooner.