WEEK ONE: Lufkin Vs Tyler Legacy, August 27th, 2021 @ Abe Martin Stadium, 7:00 PM

PackAttack

Tyler Legacy Red Raiders @ Lufkin Panthers  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think wins this game?

• 5A Div I - LUFKIN PANTHERS
    • 6A Div II - TYLER LEGACY RED RAIDERS

•  

Eic6wXkXkAMrbPn (2).jpg

LUFKIN PANTHERS  VS  TYLER LEGACY RED RAIDERS  

AUG 27, 2021, @ Abe Martin Stadium/ John Outlaw Field,  7 PM Kickoff

Radio broadcast on Sports 103.7 FM - https://www.sports1037.com      Live Stream -  https://sites.google.com/lufkinisd.org/lufkin-panther-football/watch-it-live  MORE INFO:  https://sites.google.com/lufkinisd.org/lufkin-panther-football/home

Texas BOB Stadium Information:  https://texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=417

The Lufkin Panthers and Tyler Legacy start their 2021 football season in Lufkin at Abe Martin Stadium. 

Lufkin and Tyler Legacy have met 56 times since 1960 with Lufkin holding a 38-17-1 advantage through 2020. 

In their opening game last year in Tyler, Legacy won a lopsided 70-32 win over the Panthers, with the Lufkin D giving up 502 yards rushing. Jamarion Miller torched Lufkin for 347 yards and four touchdowns on 16 carries and Bryson Donnell added 121 yards and a touchdown on eight carries for an offense that gained 649 yards.

Lufkin had a big night from Caleb Berry, who ran for 210 yards and three touchdowns on 30 carries, while Jordan Moore threw for 229 yards and a touchdown on 15-of-33 passing, but Lufkin was undone by several costly mistakes along with a run defense that found no answers.

Both Miller and Donnell return to the Legacy offense in 2021, as do a couple of starting offensive lineman Donovan Jordan and Kade Fry   Legacy will have new QBs Luke Wolf or Bruce Bruckner, and WRs Ladavion Butler, Ja’Kaleb Turner and Elijah Howard.  The Red Raider Defense return DB Aaron Sears, DB Adariyan Scott and LB Cayden Starks, along with DE Reyad Mekakda. Other prospective starters for Legacy are  LB Jett Stanger, WR/DB Jordan Ford, DB Zander Johnson, , RB/LB Kenneth Hawkins. They also have new 5-star transfer from Lewisville, DE/TE Jordan Renaud. Although he never actually played at Lewisville, transferred from Palmetto (Fla.) HS. Renaud is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 27 player in the nation, No. 9 DL and No. 5 player in Texas. Has 17 offers, including Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Auburn, Miami and Michigan.

Legacy has been picked for 3rd place in District 10-6A behind Rockwall and Rockwall-Heath by DCTF and Pigskin Prep. The Red Raiders will scrimmage Marshall on August 20th before playing Lufkin (8/27), Tyler High (9/3), Longview (9/10) and Allen (9/16) before starting 10-6A district play against Rockwall (10/8).

Lufkin has several starting spots to fill on offense, with only 3 returning starters in WR Cameron Jackson and Offensive Lineman Trent Mosby and Aaron McMillian. New additions to the Panther OL will be Aiden Henson, Christian Wynn and Mark Requena. Jamarion Johnson will also return with playing time in 2020.

Defensive will be the Panthers strength to start the year where they return 5 starters, CB Ma'Kaleb Credit, S Ladarius Jackson, DL Tre Jenkins, LB Tanner Havard and LB Nick Moore.

LB Chrismon Sigler,  CB Cameron Lister, LB Charlie Deaton, LB/DE Jermaine Simpson, DL/DE Braylen Holman, S Ceasar Sandoval will be players to watch.  CB Jay Collins and  CB Jacourius Taylor also return from 2020 . Lufkin also returns Brandon Cano as K/P.

Lufkin's Elijah Moody will lead the Panthers at QB this year, with TJ Hammond and Kendren Young also two capable backups for the Panthers.  Kendren Young, Javorie Garrett, Justavain Fann and Zach Silger will get carries at RB. Young can also play WR. The Panthers are looking to WRs Journie Thomas, Z Jimerson, O'Ryan Hart and Bray Walker and others to step in for the Pack.  

Lufkin has been picked by DCTF/PP to finish 3rd in District 8-5A DI behind College Station and Magnolia.  Lufkin will have scrimmage game at the Huntsville Hornets on August 20th, then non district games at home with Tyler Legacy (8/27) and at Nacogdoches (9/3) before opening 8-5A DI district play in Lufkin against Magnolia West on (9/10).

According to Dave Campbell's Texas Football, Lufkin is Ranked #37 in Class 5A DI and Tyler Legacy is Ranked #66 in Class 6A to begin the 2021 football season.

Pigskin Prep has Lufkin a 12 point underdog to Tyler Legacy. 

https://lufkinpanthersports.invisionzone.com/

• Like 2

• PackAttack changed the title to WEEK ONE: Lufkin Vs Tyler Legacy, August 27th, 2021 @ Abe Martin Stadium, 7:00 PM

Don't honestly know what to think about Lufkin at this point.  Couldn't find any sub varsity info from the last few years on them.  I think Legacy wins this game but wouldn't be surprised if a young but talented Lufkin team pushes Legacy.

5 hours ago, kingwolf said:

Don't honestly know what to think about Lufkin at this point.  Couldn't find any sub varsity info from the last few years on them.  I think Legacy wins this game but wouldn't be surprised if a young but talented Lufkin team pushes Legacy.

If I remember correctly, they were pretty excited about their freshman team that came in last season. I know they pushed our boys pretty hard down at Abe, when we were blowing out every single team that we came across.

No doubt though, they're gonna be incredibly young.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

If I remember correctly, they were pretty excited about their freshman team that came in last season. I know they pushed our boys pretty hard down at Abe, when we were blowing out every single team that we came across.

PA posted a good recap in answer to my question about the record.  It seems like they were pretty solid and have some good numbers coming up with 2 Freshman teams. Hoping for a 2017 type year for them, start slow and then heat up for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Our boys won that 34-14 I believe but yeah...that was the closest game that we had all season. Had us on the ropes there for a sec.

• 3 weeks later...

Legacy is a 12 point favorite by Jerry's Pigskin Prep.  That sounds like a sure deal to me. We'll see what Matt Stepp's odds are later in the week.

I read the Tyler Telegraph article about the Legacy-Marshall scrimmage, Joe Willis made it sound like the Red Raiders were the physical team, and smacked Marshall around pretty good.

28 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Legacy is a 12 point favorite by Jerry's Pigskin Prep.  That sounds like a sure deal to me. We'll see what Matt Stepp's odds are later in the week.

I read the Tyler Telegraph article about the Legacy-Marshall scrimmage, Joe Willis made it sound like the Red Raiders were the physical team, and smacked Marshall around pretty good.

How did y’all scrimmage go?

Legacy should edge this one out. Playing in Lufkin is always a challenge. It wont be easy, but Legacy has a little Defense this year, against a Lufin team with 3 returning offensive starters. Week 1, Defense is ahead of offense. Should be the difference 

21 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

How did y’all scrimmage go?

Went down to Huntsville. They are pre-season #5 in 5A DII.  They have 8 starters back on their offense, but lost about half of the defense from 2020.   Huntsville won the controlled scrimmage portion 2-1. Don't have the break down whether it was against 1s or 2s, it doesn't matter anyway.  In the live 2 quarter portion both teams scored three times, the difference was Huntsville missed on two 2 pt attempts, the score ending 21-19 for Lufkin.  Lufkin has brand new faces at almost all key offensive positions, the Panther defense returns more starters from 2020 team that started 5 sophomores on the D.  Huntsville is very good on offense this year, their D is decent too but they are replacing folks there like we are on our offense. 

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

You can tell this is not a game of importance to many when the topic trickles down to Page 4, then I need to write this to get it pushed back to Page 1. 😉😏🧐🥳

I'll be in attendance.

I stated a while ago that Legacy would win and I still feel the same.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Went down to Huntsville. They are pre-season #5 in 5A DII.  They have 8 starters back on their offense, but lost about half of the defense from 2020.   Huntsville won the controlled scrimmage portion 2-1. Don't have the break down whether it was against 1s or 2s, it doesn't matter anyway.  In the live 2 quarter portion both teams scored three times, the difference was Huntsville missed on two 2 pt attempts, the score ending 21-19 for Lufkin.  Lufkin has brand new faces at almost all key offensive positions, the Panther defense returns more starters from 2020 team that started 5 sophomores on the D.  Huntsville is very good on offense this year, their D is decent too but they are replacing folks there like we are on our offense. 

Well at least y’all got some rips for the new players. Being able to score on Huntsville Defense is a good thing 

17 hours ago, PackAttack said:

We didn’t do much vs marshall. On defense numerous deep balls were wide open and WR’s were wide open, marshall just didn’t connect on them. The offense is the same. 2 top notch RB’s, the occasional deep ball, and then screen or quick passes. As the year goes on I fully expect Sears to play QB as otherwise there isn’t a QB in the school. They need this win vs Lufkin because after that it could be 4-5 weeks before another win comes.