Gladewater at Gilmer 08/26/2021

SHillBuckeye

1 minute ago, GWBears01 said:

Great game. Y’all have so many options. We hung until y’all wore us out. We definitely need to pick a QB. We will be fine. 

Need to pick a QB for sure but we also miss the home run threat from the running back position that we always have. Might have more methodical drives then usual this year but still think this team can go as far as they want. They will definitely gett better from this game. 

Thought both teams had some bright spots and some not so bright spots. All to be expected in the first game. GW will be fine i just think they gotta be able to get it in their playmakers hands in other ways besides just throwing a go route. Gilmer looked sloppy at times but man they looked good at times too. Quite a stable of running backs. Fluellen is a bad bad man. Tennison is poetry in motion throwing the ball. Both teams will do great

This game wasn't what I was thinking it was going to be for sure. Seen some new players. I was hoping it would have been a little more electric. Turnovers were a buzz killer. Seen lots of things that I liked and looked promising. Still a lot to work on too, but it's just game 1. 

GW has potential to make some noise this year. Pick a QB1 though. Get as many reps in as possible. Not a fan of rotating qbs. DJ and Lewis are good, but they need to rested more. Yall gonna burn them down. Figure out a way to open up the run game somehow to give some relief. If BIG boy could catch yall would have had us further down field. Caught everyone off guard for sure. Just game 1 fellas. Good luck moving forward!

• Like 1

Just now, TCU44 said:

Gilmer looks like a jv team compared to Carthage. I’m sure I will get some hate but go watch the replay of  both team’s games tonight. I’ll take my beating in the comments section below!👍 

Stop stirring the pot. It will be two great teams meeting up as usual when that game arrives and both teams have lots to work on between now and then.

2 minutes ago, TCU44 said:

Gilmer looks like a jv team compared to Carthage. I’m sure I will get some hate but go watch the replay of  both team’s games tonight. I’ll take my beating in the comments section below!👍 

Dunno about JV, but you right.....lol. 4A does not possess another team like Carthage just beat. Gilmer is solid......but Gilmer is no Crosby. Carthage wins #9. Gilmer will do well this year though. 

Just now, TCU44 said:

Carthage looked like a JV team in the first half.  5 TO’s.  But they turned it on in the 2nd half and showed why they had won 30 in a row.

2 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Dunno about JV, but you right.....lol. 4A does not possess another team like Carthage just beat. Gilmer is solid......but Gilmer is no Crosby. Carthage wins #9. Gilmer will do well this year though. 

Agreed Carthage might make every 4A team look like a jv team.🤷🏼‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

Did the big fullback play for GW? He was #36 last year 

He didn't get enough touches in the scrimmages so he moved. We will be ok at FB without him.

Good game Gilmer.  Keep it going this year. 

Game Stats

First Downs- Bears 13 Gilmer 26

Rushes/Yrds- Bears 40/108  Gilmer 38/278

Passing- Bears 7/14/100/2 int  Gilmer 16/20/236/1 int

Total Yards- Bears 208  Gilmer 514

Fumbles/Lost- Bears 1/0 Gilmer 3/2

Punts- Bears 4/36.2 avg

Penalties- Bears 7/43  Gilmer 7/57

Score By Quarters 

1st- Gilmer 14 Bears 0

2nd- Gilmer 7 Bears 14

3rd- Gilmer 14 Bears 0

4th- Gilmer 7 Bears 0

Gilmer Leaders- Rushing Ashton Haynes 15/117/3 TDs

Passing  Brandon Tennison 16/20/1 int

Receiving Rohan Fluellen 8/156

Bears Leaders- Rushing Austin Verner 7/28

Passing Kyron Wilson 4/8/91/1 int

Receiving Kollin Lewis 4/49

ok, a few quick observations:

1.  GW gave Gilmer all they wanted in the first half.  They just wore out.  I don't think either team had any serious injuries, but a lot of cramps from both teams.  August football in Texas.

2.  I thought both teams played a pretty vanilla offense.  Allen was not targeted very often, and I think that will change.  I also think they have to use him more in jet sweeps and reverses.  I do think 17 was the better QB for GW.  As for Gilmer, they maybe only had one designed run for Tennison, and they kept mostly to the ground game.  Rockwell was mostly a decoy, but that will change as the season goes on.  I did think Gilmer should have had one more TD.  If Tennison doesn't vastly underthrow Gilow in the third quarter, that's a TD.  Both teams will need to clean up the mistakes and turnovers.

3. Gilmer did not play their best D lineman in the first half.  I guess discipline from last week's scrimmage.  And one of the starting O lineman didn't play at all.  Don't know if that was discipline or health related.  But when Gilmer can line up Ward, Burton, and Borda on the D line, that gives them the best D line in years at Gilmer.  It clearly showed in the run game.

4.  Liked what I saw from Haynes and Jackson tonight.  Both ran downhill, both saw the seam on the stretch plays, and both fell forward on almost every tackle.  When they start really running zone read, it's gonna be tough for teams to stop.  

Really, kind of what I expected.  GW played well and has some explosive players, but too many kids were playing both ways and just wore out as the game went on.  I hope both teams came out of the game injury free, and good luck to GW the rest of the way.  As for Gilmer, clean up the mistakes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

ok, a few quick observations:

1.  GW gave Gilmer all they wanted in the first half.  They just wore out.  I don't think either team had any serious injuries, but a lot of cramps from both teams.  August football in Texas.

2.  I thought both teams played a pretty vanilla offense.  Allen was not targeted very often, and I think that will change.  I also think they have to use him more in jet sweeps and reverses.  I do think 17 was the better QB for GW.  As for Gilmer, they maybe only had one designed run for Tennison, and they kept mostly to the ground game.  Rockwell was mostly a decoy, but that will change as the season goes on.  I did think Gilmer should have had one more TD.  If Tennison doesn't vastly underthrow Gilow in the third quarter, that's a TD.  Both teams will need to clean up the mistakes and turnovers.

3. Gilmer did not play their best D lineman in the first half.  I guess discipline from last week's scrimmage.  And one of the starting O lineman didn't play at all.  Don't know if that was discipline or health related.  But when Gilmer can line up Ward, Burton, and Borda on the D line, that gives them the best D line in years at Gilmer.  It clearly showed in the run game.

4.  Liked what I saw from Haynes and Jackson tonight.  Both ran downhill, both saw the seam on the stretch plays, and both fell forward on almost every tackle.  When they start really running zone read, it's gonna be tough for teams to stop.  

Really, kind of what I expected.  GW played well and has some explosive players, but too many kids were playing both ways and just wore out as the game went on.  I hope both teams came out of the game injury free, and good luck to GW the rest of the way.  As for Gilmer, clean up the mistakes.

I agree with you. Gilmer is so deep that there was no way we could keep up for 4 quarters. We did keep it close for almost 3 though!  Between the cramping and kids playing both ways they just wore out by the 4th quarter. The positives I did see is that we held an explosive Gilmer team to 21 points in the first half. I can definitely see major improvement on the DL and secondary. Gilmer will be the most explosive team we play this year and even though we took some lumps in the 4th quarter this game will benefit us. Even though SportsGuru didn’t think so I also think this game benefited Gilmer. Good luck to the Buckeyes the rest of the way. 

10 hours ago, BearFan13 said:

Need to pick a QB for sure but we also miss the home run threat from the running back position that we always have. Might have more methodical drives then usual this year but still think this team can go as far as they want. They will definitely gett better from this game. 

Well then they should have no problem winning state if they can go as far as THEY want????

18 minutes ago, mightyeagle said:

Well then they should have no problem winning state if they can go as far as THEY want????

I think he’s saying that we have a talented team. If they put the work in and continue to get better the sky is the limit. It was the first game and obviously we still a lot of room for improvement. 

I pretty much echo a lot of what has already been said... I don't necessarily understand why we allowed Gilmer to take DJ out of the game by doubling him.... I would of like to see him in motion, run crossing patterns, put him in backfield and hand him the ball, heck direct snap it to him... he got what 4 touches all game? But I'm not the coach and I know they had a plan, after-all this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things.... anyways, GW better establish the run or we will be in for a long season. 

9 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

He didn't get enough touches in the scrimmages so he moved. We will be ok at FB without him.

Good game Gilmer.  Keep it going this year. 

Game Stats

First Downs- Bears 13 Gilmer 26

Rushes/Yrds- Bears 40/108  Gilmer 38/278

Passing- Bears 7/14/100/2 int  Gilmer 16/20/236/1 int

Total Yards- Bears 208  Gilmer 514

Fumbles/Lost- Bears 1/0 Gilmer 3/2

Punts- Bears 4/36.2 avg

Penalties- Bears 7/43  Gilmer 7/57

Score By Quarters 

1st- Gilmer 14 Bears 0

2nd- Gilmer 7 Bears 14

3rd- Gilmer 14 Bears 0

4th- Gilmer 7 Bears 0

Gilmer Leaders- Rushing Ashton Haynes 15/117/3 TDs

Passing  Brandon Tennison 16/20/1 int

Receiving Rohan Fluellen 8/156

Bears Leaders- Rushing Austin Verner 7/28

Passing Kyron Wilson 4/8/91/1 int

Receiving Kollin Lewis 4/49

Had nothing to do with not getting enough touches. We own a house In Kilgore. He got tired of driving to Gladewater and staying at other people house. Which he did last year. So if you don’t no why my son moved keep his name out your mouth. At the end of the day it’s not all about football it’s about my son been happy. He was not happy. I let him make his on decision being his last year and that’s what he made. He went and talk to Jonny on why he wanted to move and it had nothing to do with sports. Sometimes happiness is more important.