2021-22 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

LoboFan07

There was a thread about the 2020 census on SDC....but thought I'd focus on the East Texas 5A schools' cities and what it may mean to them going forward.

INCREASES
Tyler: 105,9950- UP 9,095
Longview:  81,638- UP 1,183
Hallsville: 4.328- UP 751
Whitehouse:  8,257- UP 597
Mount Pleasant: 16,047- UP 483
Sulphur Springs:  15,941- UP 492

DECREASES
Lufkin: 34,143- DOWN 924
Nacogdoches: 32, 147- DOWN 849
Jacksonville: 13,997- DOWN 547
Texarkana: 36,193- DOWN 218
Marshall: - 23,392 DOWN 131

Interesting others
Lindale: 6,059-  UP 1,241
MaBank- 4,545- UP 1510

Kilgore up about 300
Gilmer up about 300
Henderson down almost 500
Athens up about 150
Palestine down about 200
Carthage down about 200
Gladewater down about 50

Observations
Clearly East Texas isn't growing like many other parts of Texas are.  In fact... most East Texas cities are in population decline.  Some more quickly...some more slowly.  And the few that are growing... are growing at a fraction of the pace as the rest of the state.

Tyler had the biggest jump of the current 5A schools.  Lufkin and Nac had the biggest decreases.

Eyes on Some Moving up to 5A:
Lindale has got to be a candidate to returning to 5A sooner than later with their growth.  They barely made the 4A cut.  Could be close again depending on where the cut off is placed and how much LHS has grown in the last 2 years.

MaBank is another.... it's a fast growing area.  MHS has a little over 1,000 enrolled.  So they are on the cusp of getting to the 5A threshold.

Eyes on Some Moving Down to 5A:
Tyler Legacy is the only candidate of this happening as the lone 6A team in ETx.  Not likely to happen though.  TLHS isn't really near the cut-off.  And TBH.... I think TISD likes not sharing a district with Longview anymore.

Eyes on Losing some to 4A:
Speculation is about Jacksonville and Sulphur Springs.  But this could prove to be iffy for the Wildcats.

Jacksonville had one of the more significant population drops in the group.... and JISD is losing students to surrounding school districts.  Seems like JHS dropping is a sure thing.  But with UIL...who knows.

Speculation has been about Sulphur Springs dropping.... BUT I'm somewhat skeptical now.... SSISD had a significant enrollment increase according to their newspaper few weeks ago.  And SS has had some nice growth in population... and unlike many of the other 5A schools in the region.... they don't have the drain to smaller schools around them like many of the others do.

Snapshot day is next month.

Going to be interesting to see how things shake down...and the possible ripple affects East Texas feels because of DFW alignment.

1.  Does Lindale slide into Jacksonville's place seamlessly for football?  And into the Lufkin/JT/WH district for other sports?

2.  If Jacksonville doesn't drop and Lindale moves up....does UIL form a 9-team football district or do we see an alignment more similar to what we saw in 2014 with Marshall/PT/Hallsville joining TxH and MP going down I-30 again? 

3.  OR does UIL keep Marshall, PT, Hallsville with Nac, Lindale,  and WH together for football and add Tyler high for the other sports..... thus sending MP and Texas High down the I-30 corridor with Greenville.

Does Ennis and Corsi come back to East Texas...or do they head down I-35?  Or do they get sent to DFW (Mesquite/Forney/Terrell?)

Nac headed to Huntsville's district?  Ouch.  

Possibilities are numerous.  

We will have a clearer pic next month....somewhat, at least.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

There was a thread about the 2020 census on SDC....but thought I'd focus on the East Texas 5A schools' cities and what it may mean to them going forward.

INCREASES

DECREASES

Interesting others
MaBank- 4,545- UP 1510

Kilgore up about 300
Gilmer up about 300
Athens up about 150
Palestine down about 200
Carthage down about 200
Gladewater down about 50

Observations
Clearly East Texas isn't growing like many other parts of Texas are.  In fact... most East Texas cities are in population decline.  Some more quickly...some more slowly.  And the few that are growing... are growing at a fraction of the pace as the rest of the state.

Tyler had the biggest jump of the current 5A schools.  Lufkin and Nac had the biggest decreases.

Lindale has got to be a candidate to returning to 5A sooner than later with their growth.  They barely made the 4A cut.  Could be close again depending on where the cut off is placed and how much LHS has grown in the last 2 years.

MaBank is another.... it's a fast growing area.  MHS has a little over 1,000 enrolled.  So they are on the cusp of getting to the 5A threshold.

Tyler Legacy is the only candidate of this happening as the lone 6A team in ETx.  Not likely to happen though.  TLHS isn't really near the cut-off.  And TBH.... I think TISD likes not sharing a district with Longview anymore.

Speculation is about Jacksonville and Sulphur Springs.  But this could prove to be iffy for the Wildcats.

Jacksonville had one of the more significant population drops in the group.... and JISD is losing students to surrounding school districts.  Seems like JHS dropping is a sure thing.  But with UIL...who knows.

Speculation has been about Sulphur Springs dropping.... BUT I'm somewhat skeptical now.... SSISD had a significant enrollment increase according to their newspaper few weeks ago.  And SS has had some nice growth in population... and unlike many of the other 5A schools in the region.... they don't have the drain to smaller schools around them like many of the others do.

Going to be interesting to see how things shake down...and the possible ripple affects East Texas feels because of DFW alignment.

1.  Does Lindale slide into Jacksonville's place seamlessly for football?  And into the Lufkin/JT/WH district for other sports?

2.  If Jacksonville doesn't drop and Lindale moves up....does UIL form a 9-team football district or do we see an alignment more similar to what we saw in 2014 with Marshall/PT/Hallsville joining TxH and MP going down I-30 again? 

3.  OR does UIL keep Marshall, PT, Hallsville with Nac, Lindale,  and WH together for football and add Tyler high for the other sports..... thus sending MP and Texas High down the I-30 corridor with Greenville.

Does Ennis and Corsi come back to East Texas...or do they head down I-35?  Or do they get sent to DFW (Mesquite/Forney/Terrell?)

I’m interested in seeing if the UIL will keep HP in our district or send them back the Dallas schools?

I think it'll depend on the DFW schools moving up or staying.

North Forney is likely to move up to 5A D1. Royse City is also certainly moving to 5A D1 (surely they're not at 6A level yet).

Does Sherman go 6A this go around? Does North or East go 6A? Does Mesquite ISD opening that 6th high school that has no athletics force North to move down? Wylie East moving to 6A seems to be a likely move if I remember the previous numbers.

Heck, they could easily move Lancaster to our district and switch them out with HP. Lots of moving parts in 5A D1.

15-5A Volleyball standings
Texas High (4-0), (20-10)
Sulphur Springs (3-1), (15-11)
Marshall (2-1), (20-11)
Hallsville (2-2), (16-9)
Longview (1-2), (11-19)
Mount Pleasant (0-3), (8-8)
Pine Tree (0-3), (9-12)

Game 4:
Marshall beat Hallsville 3-1
Texas High beat Longview 3-0
Sulphur Springs beat Pine Tree 3-0
MP- Bye

Texas High continues to roll, while defending district champion SS is hot on their heels.  Marshall beat Hallsville in Bobcat Gym for the first time ever....huge program win.

Friday's Games
Longview Vs. Marshall
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree
Mount Pleasant Vs. Texas High
SS- Bye

Rivalry match-ups.  Longview looking for revenge after Marshall beat them in last year's playoff "play-in" match.  Hallsville and Pine Tree....enough said.  Texas High looking to keep some distance between them SS.

15-5A Volleyball standings
Texas High (5-0), (21-10)
Sulphur Springs (3-1), (15-11)
Marshall (3-1), (21-11)
Hallsville (3-2), (17-9)
Longview (1-3), (11-20)
Mount Pleasant (0-4), (8-9)
Pine Tree (0-4, (9-13)

Game 5
Marshall beat Longview 3-0
Texas High beat MP 3-2
Hallsville beat Pine Tree 3-0
SS- Bye

Most people don't realize that the Hallsville school district goes into the east side of the Longview city limits. The population of HISD is probably around 15,000, maybe more. The 4-5 miles between Longview and Hallsville is seeing all kinds of housing growth. In fact HISD is currently building a new elementary school on the Loop inside of Longview! It will still be a few years but don't be surprised when Hallsville goes 5A- D1.

2 hours ago, hoopscoach17 said:

Most people don't realize that the Hallsville school district goes into the east side of the Longview city limits. The population of HISD is probably around 15,000, maybe more. The 4-5 miles between Longview and Hallsville is seeing all kinds of housing growth. In fact HISD is currently building a new elementary school on the Loop inside of Longview! It will still be a few years but don't be surprised when Hallsville goes 5A- D1.

No doubt HISD is one of the few areas in East Texas that’s growing. 

Them being in Div 1 would be bad news for them imho

Because playing Longview, Tyler, and Highland Park will do wonders for their program  

• LOL! 2

15 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Absolute blood baths 

Can you imagine how big LHS would be if HISD wasn't dipping into the East side?

Lot of East Longview kids are still finding their way to LHS though. There's multiple kids on Longview's 9th grade team that were at Hallsville last year.

• LOL! 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:24 PM, Mavchamp said:

INCREASES

DECREASES

Interesting others
MaBank- 4,545- UP 1510

Kilgore up about 300
Gilmer up about 300
Athens up about 150
Palestine down about 200
Carthage down about 200
Gladewater down about 50

Observations

Here is the only issue....most of the growth in East Texas schools (and majority of places in Texas) is the Hispanic growth.  Due to many reasons, their population is under counted.  So although most of these cities may be on the decline, the young school age Hispanic population is exploding.  

just look at Tyler iSD.  The 2020 Census has Tyler at 50% White, 24% Black, 22% Hispanic.  But out of the 17, 700 students in TISD...8400 are Hispanic (48%), 4800 Black (27%), 3700 White (21%).   

No way I believe Hispanics are only 22% of Tyler population. 

I think the main reasons why East Texas schools will drop is really more about the population increase in the big metro areas rather than the decrease in East Texas cities.  Despite the drop in Jacksonville population, Jacksonville High has grown from 1100 students in 2010 to 1265 in 2020 and its all due to the Hispanic growth. 

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Can you imagine how big LHS would be if HISD wasn't dipping into the East side?

Lot of East Longview kids are still finding their way to LHS though. There's multiple kids on Longview's 9th grade team that were at Hallsville last year.

hmmm do we need to call the UIL...LOL.

• LOL! 1

4 hours ago, hoopscoach17 said:

I noticed that East Longview is in Harrison County, which is probably why its zoned for Hallsville. 

But seriously, I've been to east Longview many times...It really doesn't look that populated compared to other parts of Longview. Serious question how many kids do you guys think are going to Hallsville from that area?   

Also, I don't see Hallsville touching 5a Div.1.  In the past 5 yrs, their High school population has leveled off in the 1400s. 

Portions of South Tyler is zoned for Whitehouse, and its heavy populated areas. I would guarantee Whitehouse High probably gets a couple hundred kids at least from this area...and that's being conservative, but 5a div.1 is not likely because Charters and Privates in Tyler area.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:43 PM, JTFAN99 said:

hmmm do we need to call the UIL...LOL.

You forget that LISD is open enrollment full of opportunities. Parents aren't gonna keep their kids in HISD if better opportunity is literally down the street.

On 9/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, JTFAN99 said:

I noticed that East Longview is in Harrison County, which is probably why its zoned for Hallsville. 

Lot of school districts around that state that are in multiple counties but that probably has a lot to do with it. 

I would say at least a 3rd of HHS has Longview addresses. Plenty of neighborhoods and new subdivisions along both 80 and the Loop, especially along Alpine Rd which is the line between HISD and LISD.

But yeah, I agree that they'll never see 5AD1. State is growing way too fast.

• Thanks 1