***Week 1: (0-0) Alto Yellowjackets @ Troup Tigers (0-0) - 8/27/2021***

StingEmALTO

Alto @ Troup  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Alto
    • Troup

The Alto Yellowjackets (11-2A D1) will travel to Troup to take on the Tigers (9-3A D2) in the first game of the season. The Jackets return 20 lettermen with 8 offensive and 8 defensive starters. Alto graduated 4 seniors and finished the 2020 season a disappointing 2-8 (1-4 in district) and missed the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. (Tough tough all the way around and very humbling, too! 😩 They say adversity is good for you though, right?!). The JV Jackets finished as district champions. The Mean Sting is picked by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football to finish District 11-2A 4th behind Normangee, Centerville, & Grapeland, and ahead of Leon and Groveton. Coach Meeks left for Center after 3 years and the Jackets hired Alto alum Lance Gamble back in early spring. Brand new offense & brand new defense (well “new”….. back to the 90s! Lol), and here we goooooo!

The Troup Tigers return 23 lettermen with 9 offensive and 8 defensive starters. The Tigers finished the 2020 campaign 5-5 overall and 4-2 in district. Texas Football has the Tigers predicted to finish 3rd in District 9-3A D2 behind West Rusk and Harmony.

Last year, Troup defeated Alto 27-0. The Jackets are making progress in the new system. Is it enough to derail the Tigers and start 1-0? We will see!

Let’s gooooo Jackets! 

• Like 4

Just now, StingEmALTO said:

The Alto Yellowjackets (11-2A D1) will travel to Troup to take on the Tigers (9-3A D2) in the first game of the season. The Jackets return 20 lettermen with 8 offensive and 8 defensive starters. Alto graduated 4 seniors and finished the 2020 season a disappointing 2-8 (1-4 in district) and missed the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. (Tough tough all the way around and very humbling, too! 😩 They say adversity is good for you though, right?!). The JV Jackets finished as district champions. The Mean Sting is picked by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football to finish District 11-2A 4th behind Normangee, Centerville, & Grapeland, and ahead of Leon and Groveton. Coach Meeks left for Center after 3 years and the Jackets hired Alto alum Lance Gamble back in early spring. Brand new offense, brand new defense, and here we goooooo!

The Troup Tigers return 23 lettermen with 9 offensive and 8 defensive starters. The Tigers finished the 2019 campaign 5-5 overall and 4-2 in district. Texas Football has the Tigers predicted to finish 3rd in District 9-3A D2 behind West Rusk and Harmony.

Last year, the Tigers defeated the Jackets 27-0. The Jackets are making progress in the new system. Is it enough to derail the Tigers and start 1-0? We will see!

Let’s gooooo Jackets! 

LET’S GO JACKETS!!! We are ready!!! 🐝

• Like 2

I’m expecting Gamble to take Alto back to their roots with hard-nosed defense and a heavy dose of split back offense with an emphasis on a downhill run game and enough play-action pass to keep a defense honest. However, I think it’s a little early. Troup returns a veteran group that won 5 games in 2020. Depth advantage wins.

Tigers 34 Jackets 24. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I’m expecting Gamble to take Alto back to their roots with hard-nosed defense and a heavy dose of split back offense with an emphasis on a downhill run game and enough play-action pass to keep a defense honest. However, I think it’s a little early. Troup returns a veteran group that won 5 games in 2020. Depth advantage wins.

Tigers 34 Jackets 24. 

Good analysis and I agree this is where we are headed. Run game has looked good, pass game is a work in progress, and defense…..well, if you know Gamble, you know.

I’m anxious to see us Friday. It will be a good test against a quality opponent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramfanforever said:

With a quality coach and a bunch of athletes on Alto, I think alto will turn it around this year. I pick Alto

Thanks! I sure hope so. They are definitely putting in the work.

And y’all have a big battle coming up with Beckville! Wish I could be at that game. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Joaquin wins the first game on your new turf. Good luck! 

Troup Tigers (0-0) vs. Alto Yellowjackets (0-0)

7:30 p.m. Friday at Tiger Stadium in Troup

Coaches: Lance Gamble, Alto; John Eastman, Troup

Last Week: This is the first game of the year for both teams.

Next Week: Troup at Price-Carlisle; Alto at Timpson

Outlook: A Troup team that is loaded with 19 seniors should give the Yellowjackets a real test right out of the gate … Coach Gamble is in his first year at Alto and the Mean Sting could have a few tricks up their sleeve offensively ...Tiger QB Trevor Padia is a good one, and the Mean Sting defense will have to find a way to limit his effectiveness … Troup appears to be the favorite, no question, but this contest could be one of the more interesting games of the night, with the new coaching staff in place in Alto and the amount of talent that they have to work with.

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/sports/high-school-football-previews-week-0/article_c407b274-0501-11ec-9472-9b804553caf5.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

51A1A548-5B63-488F-912C-0C41A499DDEB.jpeg