Arkansas High Texarkana @ Paris

bluetopper

While Norton is keenly aware of the rule differences between Texas and Arkansas, many of the players do not practice playing by the UIL rule differences. They will be coached on those differences, but it won’t be second nature. It is probably  worth a touchdown for Paris. Conversely if the game was in Texarkana, I would spot Arkansas High a touchdown.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:56 PM, regaleagle said:

Sounds to me like Paris took a big ol' bite to play up in this one.  I'm not sure, but I kinda think Paris will definitely be outmatched personnel-wise.  I'll be interested to see just how close this game ends up.  

Word is Arkansas High is way down this season. Last year they were unbeaten at 6-0 and didn't even win district title.

3 hours ago, Texlov said:

Word is Arkansas High is way down this season. Last year they were unbeaten at 6-0 and didn't even win district title.

I wouldn't say way down....young maybe...and btw ...they didn't win district because of politics with Covid. They actually beat Lake Side who were made Champs because they played one more game .

9 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

I certainly don't see Paris as being overmatched here.  Not saying they will win but they are not "playing up" as much as some people think

I reckon I'm just not familiar with the Arkansas side of Texarkana.  I saw the size of all those returning linemen and how many are returning on offense and defense, and just naturally equated it to Texas football.  Then I figured they play Texas High and must have a decent program over there.......but looks like from those in the know that my assumptions are off kilter slightly, Huh?  

And besides.......the real fact of the matter is that I really WANT to see Paris win this game.  It would be even more meaningful for a district mate of Argyle to have as many wins as possible when it comes time for both teams to play in district......which just happens to be the very last game of the regular season......in Argyle this year, on Senior Night. Tough to win in Argyle......at least that's what the record shows.

13 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I reckon I'm just not familiar with the Arkansas side of Texarkana.  I saw the size of all those returning linemen and how many are returning on offense and defense, and just naturally equated it to Texas football.  Then I figured they play Texas High and must have a decent program over there.......but looks like from those in the know that my assumptions are off kilter slightly, Huh?  

its not that there isn't any talent or size on that side of the state line its just the enrollment has dropped quite a bit of the past couple of decades. with open enrollment at every school in Texarkana the kids can pretty much choose where  they want to go and that started with kids going to texas high.  arkansas high has the most state championships in the city with i think 5 (yea i know theyre arkansas but they still count) so there is a good tradition at that school. If it wasnt for the long tradition of playing the Texas High vs Arkansas High game i feel like it would have gone away the past decade just because of the size of the schools. when PG played a-high and when LE play them i felt those were more equally matched games. 

4 minutes ago, txk85 said:

its not that there isn't any talent or size on that side of the state line its just the enrollment has dropped quite a bit of the past couple of decades. with open enrollment at every school in Texarkana the kids can pretty much choose where  they want to go and that started with kids going to texas high.  arkansas high has the most state championships in the city with i think 5 (yea i know theyre arkansas but they still count) so there is a good tradition at that school. If it wasnt for the long tradition of playing the Texas High vs Arkansas High game i feel like it would have gone away the past decade just because of the size of the schools. when PG played a-high and when LE play them i felt those were more equally matched games. 

In that case, then YES.......Paris WILL be able to compete on the same level with A-High without question.  Paris is able to do that against teams like Argyle and Melissa which have lots of depth.......more depth than Paris has.  I really don't see much of a fall-off this season for Paris.  Yes......they did lose a few outstanding players on both offense and defense, but they have quality rb's each season coming up and their defense may be a little more battle-tested to start the season this year.  And those two forfeits during Covid last season right at the start of district play really really put them behind the 8-ball.  It was amazing that they were able to "get-in" to the playoffs in such a tough district and then to go as deep as they did.  I have tons of respect for the Paris Wildcats.......even though they have a (0-12) record against Argyle.  The record does not reflect negatively on the quality of those games.

3 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

I will lean to Paris in this one. Could go either way.  But there is certainly no reason for them to go into the game thinking they are playing a giant. But don't go by Hootens ratings. They know nothing about Texas football and not much more about Arkansas football. Their picks are rarely based on reality.

I root for Arkansas High when they are playing Ark teams because they are local.  But give me a Texas rooting interest every time

1 hour ago, THSfanatic said:

They may not be a giant , but they still aren't pushover  either. Norton always finds a way to field quality teams. A High is no where near the quality of Argyle so Paris should be able to handle them. If I'm not mistaken they took it to PG a couple of years ago, and had it not been for those undisciplined personal foul penalties, they could have won. One big advantage is that Paris has had two scrimmages , Razorbacks none. Also the underclassmen didn't get to play a game last year, so this is essentially the first time they will see action in two years. I pray for a competitive, and injury free game. 

On 8/24/2021 at 5:00 PM, Tiger4Life93 said:

I wouldn't say way down....young maybe...and btw ...they didn't win district because of politics with Covid. They actually beat Lake Side who were made Champs because they played one more game .

Unfortunately those were the rules before season. The Razorbacks still got screwed.

2 minutes ago, bluetopper said:

I don’t know why Arkansas is not doing quick dives between the tackles. Looks like they have the hosses up front. 
27-0 Paris, halftime

3 Sophomores on the line, they'll get better as the season goes. They are way overmatched . If Paris ever get the chemistry down on those passes , they'll be hard to stop this year. Really good team