Celina vs Melissa

TCU44

Melissa offense keeps shooting itself in the foot with offsides and motion on hard counts trying to pull the Celina D offsides.  They did it in the first half and now 4 times in the last 6 offensive plays of the 3rd qtr.  Then followed up with 2 short punts that gave Celina field position.  Now Celina is exerting its dominance on the offensive line pounding the ball on the ground.  The Melissa defense has been on the field too much in this 3rd qtr.......they are getting whipped.

Celina has a really good good team this year. Melissa does not. At least 5 turnovers & 20+ penalties. I knew Cards were overrated but they may have been severely overrated. I’m recovering from Covid so glad I watched this from the comfort of my house.

Celina intercepts a pass to the flat at their own 41 yd line.  Melissa cannot get out of its own way with penalties and turnovers.  Celina is more disciplined and forcing Melissa into mistakes on offense.  The Bobcats are definitely the better team on the field tonight.......they just look more ready as a team.

From what I can see, the Cardinals have a better defense than last season, but the offense needs work.  It's the offense that has caused so many turnovers and penalties.  They also have not helped the defense whatsoever this entire game.  Melissa does have plenty of good players and potential, but need more work on offense.  Celina will be good this season.......just how good remains to be seen.  They have a big O-line and good defense, and will force some turnovers and penalties.  We will see how they progress each week from here.

Bobcats will takes some knees now to end this game and take a big win home tonight to end this 4-0 run by Melissa over them.  The series will go to the Bobcats 6-5 now.  Congrats to the Celina Bobcats on a good win at Melissa and a more balanced offensive attack.  Melissa will regroup and has plenty to work on offensively to get that part of their game clicking again.  They just did not look close to being in sync all night.  The Cardinal defense actually played a decent game, IMO.

A very good win for the Bobcats last night. Melissa isn’t as bad as some are saying, but you can tell they are really young. They remind me of Celina a year ago. Talent is there, it’s just going to have to mature.

I thought the key would be how well Celina’s defense could get after Finnegan, and they consistently had him running around uncomfortable. He still made some really good plays and really nice throws. But the Cardinals will have to shore up their offensive line in a hurry. Can’t remember the RBs name for Melissa, but he’s pretty quick and explosive. He found a couple holes when there really weren’t any last night.

Both teams played really sloppy at times, and you could tell it was the season opener. Both made lots of mistakes and both committed lots of turnovers. But the Bobcats made some really good adjustments at half and dominated Melissa, out scoring them 21-0. The Bobcats have a load of weapons (and they only used about half of them last night for some reason) and you could see that talent and really the advantage in the trenches start to take its toll on Melissa in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

But I wouldn’t write off the Cardinals just yet. Celina is good. Melissa is good but young. We’ll see how much they grow from week 1 to 2, but the talent is there. And I agree with regal, the defense — especially the d line — seems much improved for Melissa this season.

I saw this game online. I think Celina will be Gilmer's semifinal opponent (if we make it that far). I suppose the only stumbling block would be Graham, but I don't see them taking Celina out two years in a row. MaxPreps had Melissa as the second-ranked team in D1 and Celina as seventh in D2. They got it backwards.

12 minutes ago, 36gut said:

I saw this game online. I think Celina will be Gilmer's semifinal opponent (if we make it that far). I suppose the only stumbling block would be Graham, but I don't see them taking Celina out two years in a row. MaxPreps had Melissa as the second-ranked team in D1 and Celina as seventh in D2. They got it backwards.

I hope you’re right. Graham isn’t what they were a year ago. The more likely stumbling blocks are Sweetwater, which is really good but got railed by Stephenville last night, and Aubrey. The Chaps are actually really good.

But if I were a betting man, I’d say it’s Celina vs Gilmer for a chance at Carthage. Bobcats and Buckeyes went head-to-head in the semifinals in both 2014 and 2015. Each won a game.

12 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

This thread wins for highest number of extremely long posts.  Thought I was going to take a quick look to catch up. Man you guys must not text much.  😂

I'ma a Boomer, not a Millennial.  In my era we learned to write......and write.......and write.   Texting is ok on the phone, but on the laptop......nope.