Nacogdoches vs Lufkin

nacdragon07

It pains me to write this but it’s Lufkin week.  Last year these two teams didn’t play each other because of covid. Lufkin is coming off a home loss against legacy and Nac is coming off a disappointing loss against Kilgore. Both of those teams will be In the postseason again this year.  

we saw some positives against Kilgore the game was closer then the score indicated we had plenty of chances to win that game. 

the O line needs to go back to the basics this week, I believe Lufkin’s d line is the strength of that defense. 
The truth of the matter is this, the only winnable game for Nac in our non district schedule was state ranked Kilgore and we blew that. I just want to see us improve in some areas on our way to district. I don’t see us beating Lufkin at home. 

Lufkin wins this one by at least 2 tds .

1 hour ago, missionimpossible said:

Rivalry week. Both teams lost last week. Who do you pick to win? 

I’m a homer but with common sense. The offense had some bright spots we broke some good runs on Kilgore, we just couldn’t finish drives mostly due to self inflicting penalties. We had a td taken away for the 2 week in a row due to a lineman being downfield. It happened in the Henderson scrimmage. I don’t see us beating a angry Lufkin team this coming week. I do however want to see a improved o line. 

Just now, Nacwagons said:

This will be the 102nd meeting between Nac and LP. LP leads this series 72-23-6. Nac hasn't won since 2013 & 2014. LP has won the last 2 meetings by a combine score of 99-7.

Well that’s just great news for us lol what’s worse is our record against Tyler high. 

Any hope for a Dragons win comes with the fact this game is in Nac at Dragon stadium the only 2 wins in the last 50 years have been at home. They also have played "closer" games in Dragon stadium than they do at Abe. I work in Lufkin so I heard from some that went to the Legacy game that the crowd in Lufkin was smaller than usual and definitely not as rowdy as a crowd at Abe normally is. 

Not sure what Lufkin brings on offense, but the reports I heard was a lot of running this last Friday. Maybe it was the game plan to try and shorten the game against Legacy. I will defer to the Lufkin fans on what LP will bring to town on Friday night. 

This game will be a sell out I am sure and I think all ticket sales will be online only. 

One things that got lost last week in the weather shortened JV game, Nac has a dynamic freshman QB playing for the JV team. He is big, can run and throw and plays safety. He threw for a score, ran for a score and had an interception in a quarter and a half against Kilgore. Something to keep an eye on as the year goes on. 

Nac has had some excellent coaches in the past. It all can't be put on the coaches. Maybe it is the make up of the athletes attitude, work ethic, and support from the home and the town that has something to do with it also. Nacogdoches has been consistently bad since the late 60's. Look at the record in football. The win over Lufkin in 2013, was the first in 22 years. The win the next year was the first back to back wins since the 30's over Lufkin, per the website Texas High school football history. 

As per the Lufkin site, the coaches are the easiest to blame. Many coaches have come to NHS and had success in the past or when they leave NHS, but have not fared well once in Nacogdoches. There is something in the water. 

55 minutes ago, missionimpossible said:

Nac has had some excellent coaches in the past. It all can't be put on the coaches. Maybe it is the make up of the athletes attitude, work ethic, and support from the home and the town that has something to do with it also. Nacogdoches has been consistently bad since the late 60's. Look at the record in football. The win over Lufkin in 2013, was the first in 22 years. The win the next year was the first back to back wins since the 30's over Lufkin, per the website Texas High school football history. 

As per the Lufkin site, the coaches are the easiest to blame. Many coaches have come to NHS and had success in the past or when they leave NHS, but have not fared well once in Nacogdoches. There is something in the water. 

Also we can’t forget we have kids that transfer to  garrison and timpson and central heights. Then we have a lot of kids who just don’t play. We have no depth and we got wore down on Friday. Kilgore had more depth then we did. We have the 2nd largest enrollment in the district and our kids have to play both ways. I see what you’re saying about the coaching look at our last three coaches 

Bobby Reyes - had won at both of his previous head stops but only had three winning seasons in nac. Made the postseason three times. 

scott Ford- was successful at los Fresnos and Joshua  came to Nac and went 4-13 in two years. Leaves and goes to Joshua and leads them to the postseason in his first year. Now he’s at Elysian Fields doing the same thing. 

Bill Harper - great coach and man came out of retirement to turn the program around Got Nac back to the postseason for the first time since 92 in just his 2nd year at the helm. It was his first and last as the head coach in nac. He came into the job with the 2nd most wins in the history of Marshall maverick football. 

now we have Darren Allman who has also won everywhere he’s been but seems to be struggling trying to build something down here. I always hear of the great kids we got coming up through the freshmen and jv and middle schools etc. we need to see it on the varsity. 

10 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Man this has to be the most lopsided series in the state. 2 wins in 50 years is that right? This can’t be good for either program.  Hopefully with good coaching Nac can pull off an upset.

Can't believe that you are pulling for Nacanowhere in this game. I thought you were a smart guy on the other forum, but now I understand--with thinking like this. 

Panther man from the beginning. Was there for the "Brown Brothers", the referee induced Nac win in 77, the revenge in 78 & 79--then watched the super upset of Nac during TJ Turner's senior year of Nac. 

If you're from Lufkin--losing to Nac is worst than being shot in the peepee. 🤣

• LOL! 2

14 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin has lost to Nacogdoches in 1971, 1977, 1982, 1992, 2013 and 2014 in the last 50 years.  Lufkin and Nacogdoches have met for the 101 times since 1913. Lufkin holds a 72-26-3 advantage.  

Isn't this the Oldest Rivalry in Texas High School Sports? 

15 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Can't believe that you are pulling for Nacanowhere in this game. I thought you were a smart guy on the other forum, but now I understand--with thinking like this. 

Panther man from the beginning. Was there for the "Brown Brothers", the referee induced Nac win in 77, the revenge in 78 & 79--then watched the super upset of Nac during TJ Turner's senior year of Nac. 

I’m hoping the panthers come into this game flat like they tend to do against Nac.  They usually have a slow start when they play in Nacogdoches. 

29 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Yes, The twins,  QB Delrick and WR Elrick Brown. Delrick, who would go on to start at quarterback for the Houston Cougars ('76-'79), was one of the state's top 220 yard sprinter's, while Elrick would go on to set the state record in the 440 yard dash and also run track at the U of H.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Yes, The twins,  QB Delrick and WR Elrick Brown. Delrick, who would go on to start at quarterback for the Houston Cougars ('76-'79), was one of the state's top 220 yard sprinter's, while Elrick would go on to set the state record in the 440 yard dash and also run track at the U of H.

Went to school with their little brother--who had to be a lineman. Did not get the speed the others did. 

So if you know them, then you've heard of the Kegler's--I graduated with the younger one. 

This from the NISD website:  No student tickets will be sold by NHS; any student attending the game will gain entry to the stadium by using a season ticket or by using one of the four tickets purchased by families of performing students. Any students that are not performing on Friday will need to be accompanied by an adult to enter the stadium. 

Coaches and directors at NHS will distribute tickets to the parents of their team or performing groups. The tickets should not be shared and are to be used solely by the families. 

There will be no tickets sold at the gate before the game. 

Once inside Dragon Stadium, fans will not be allowed to congregate in any areas outside of the bleachers. Fans attending the game must remain in their seats unless they are visiting concession stands or the restrooms. 

The Lufkin-Nacogdoches football game is the longest-running high school rivalry in Texas, and Nacogdoches ISD is taking every precaution to protect student performers and fans at the varsity football game. The district is treating this game differently than other home games scheduled for the remainder of the season. 

Nacogdoches High School is excited about Friday’s game and wants everyone to have a safe and fun experience at Dragon Stadium.