Nacogdoches vs Lufkin

nacdragon07

3 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Really ???? The murders and shootings that have been going on. 

It’s been happening between Lufkin and Nacogdoches supporters so much that they’re limiting capacity? Man alive. That alone should be enough to cancel the series.

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Maybe the new coach will hault the series.

I for one would be ok with halting the series with LP, neither teams gets anything out of the series. It may be the longest rivalry but it is very one sided. 

I also agree with the other posters on the thread on the following topics.

1. Nac loses a lot athletes to the small schools Central Heights, Woden, Martinsville and Garrison. Garrison is the only one with a football program but the others pulling the athletes away takes the ability away of having the athletes who could play football if they stayed. Nacs boys are solid in Basketball and Baseball, so football takes the biggest impact. Those schools kill the girls programs. Woden, garrison and CH take softball girls, they take them at an early age during little league since the league rules are set up to favor those small towns. Central heights kills our Volleyball program, when we played CH last year every girl on their VB roster lived in the neighborhoods surrounding Nac HS. 

2. I agree as well that you can not lay Nacs. losing at the feet of the coaches that have been here. There is a cultural problem(losing), that can not be fixed in just a few years. Coaches have to stay to be able to build a program from middle school on. Reyes was the most successful staying 6-7 years, they had to talk him out of retirement to take the program and he had 3 playoff appearances. He was the most successful coach since Bobby French in 1992 as the 2 seed went 3 rounds deep. Nac. has not won a playoff game since then. Nac has not won a district title since 1982. The community support is so splintered between the other small schools and with SFA. A lot of the community money that goes to high schools in surrounding areas goes to SFA here. The lack of success and money is why it took Nac. so long to address its facilities that lagged behind even some of the 2a-3a programs in the area until a few years ago.  They plan on finishing the renovations to the stadium after this years football season press box and bleachers.

3. There have been 3 incidents in the last 18 months with violence in a round a Nac/Lufkin with gang activity between the 2 communities. One at the basketball game last year and 2 over the summer. The administrative staff at both schools have been working the plan for this game to keep the action on the field. They aren't allowing students from either school to even be in the parking lot if they are not accompanied by and adult and going to the game. 

I supported Reyes when he was here and thought he did great with what he was handed. I think 2015 (4-6) and 2106(4-6) were his most talented teams, but I think those are the 2 years that the OC left for Justin NW. The OC was a very good play caller and scored more points and our offense was a little more conservative while he was gone.

I support what coach Allman is doing and I think with the coaches he is hiring to support him Nac is building good things. I was excited when he was hired because of his resume and he is going to need to time to put his entire program in place. This may be his 3rd year technically but he was hired late spring of 2019 and covid took his 2020 offseason away. This is his first full year with spring and offseason workouts, it may take 2-3 more years to truly see what we have with the program. Nac. has to quit being a revolving door program to have a shot at improving past mediocrity. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

I for one would be ok with halting the series with LP, neither teams gets anything out of the series. It may be the longest rivalry but it is very one sided. 

I also agree with the other posters on the thread on the following topics.

1. Nac loses a lot athletes to the small schools Central Heights, Woden, Martinsville and Garrison. Garrison is the only one with a football program but the others pulling the athletes away takes the ability away of having the athletes who could play football if they stayed. Nacs boys are solid in Basketball and Baseball, so football takes the biggest impact. Those schools kill the girls programs. Woden, garrison and CH take softball girls, they take them at an early age during little league since the league rules are set up to favor those small towns. Central heights kills our Volleyball program, when we played CH last year every girl on their VB roster lived in the neighborhoods surrounding Nac HS. 

2. I agree as well that you can not lay Nacs. losing at the feet of the coaches that have been here. There is a cultural problem(losing), that can not be fixed in just a few years. Coaches have to stay to be able to build a program from middle school on. Reyes was the most successful staying 6-7 years, they had to talk him out of retirement to take the program and he had 3 playoff appearances. He was the most successful coach since Bobby French in 1992 as the 2 seed went 3 rounds deep. Nac. has not won a playoff game since then. Nac has not won a district title since 1982. The community support is so splintered between the other small schools and with SFA. A lot of the community money that goes to high schools in surrounding areas goes to SFA here. The lack of success and money is why it took Nac. so long to address its facilities that lagged behind even some of the 2a-3a programs in the area until a few years ago.  They plan on finishing the renovations to the stadium after this years football season press box and bleachers.

3. There have been 3 incidents in the last 18 months with violence in a round a Nac/Lufkin with gang activity between the 2 communities. One at the basketball game last year and 2 over the summer. The administrative staff at both schools have been working the plan for this game to keep the action on the field. They aren't allowing students from either school to even be in the parking lot if they are not accompanied by and adult and going to the game. 

I supported Reyes when he was here and thought he did great with what he was handed. I think 2015 (4-6) and 2106(4-6) were his most talented teams, but I think those are the 2 years that the OC left for Justin NW. The OC was a very good play caller and scored more points and our offense was a little more conservative while he was gone.

I support what coach Allman is doing and I think with the coaches he is hiring to support him Nac is building good things. I was excited when he was hired because of his resume and he is going to need to time to put his entire program in place. This may be his 3rd year technically but he was hired late spring of 2019 and covid took his 2020 offseason away. This is his first full year with spring and offseason workouts, it may take 2-3 more years to truly see what we have with the program. Nac. has to quit being a revolving door program to have a shot at improving past mediocrity. 

Some things need to continue BECAUSE of tradition. 

Thanksgiving in this part of the country has been so BORING since the Aggies & Horns ended their traditional battles. If we continue to end all the traditional stuff, all we'll have is a bunch of liberal progressive policies. 

Between the 2 cities, they should have enough security details that a football game should not be affected. I have always wondered why they did play all the games at SFA--while not neutral for Nac, it definitely would keep the people further away from each other and a more controlled environment. But then again, I haven't lived in either city since 1994--things must have really changed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Some things need to continue BECAUSE of tradition. 

Thanksgiving in this part of the country has been so BORING since the Aggies & Horns ended their traditional battles. If we continue to end all the traditional stuff, all we'll have is a bunch of liberal progressive policies. 

Between the 2 cities, they should have enough security details that a football game should not be affected. I have always wondered why they did play all the games at SFA--while not neutral for Nac, it definitely would keep the people further away from each other and a more controlled environment. But then again, I haven't lived in either city since 1994--things must have really changed. 

All traditions start and stop somewhere, Both Texas and A&M have survived not playing each other. I miss the game as well and look forward to seeing it start up again.  Maintaining a game that does neither of the programs any good just for "traditions" sake makes zero sense. When the teams are in the same district ok because they have to. Having to have security details or playing at SFA costs the schools extra money that neither program should have to pay for traditions sake. You also shouldn't have to have all of that to play a high school sport against one another. 

This is just my opinion and it isn't likely that these two teams wont be on each others schedules for next year. The traditionalists in both towns will be very vocal about it maintaining this game.  I could see taking a 2 year break from the game, but it would resume very quickly in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

All traditions start and stop somewhere, Both Texas and A&M have survived not playing each other. I miss the game as well and look forward to seeing it start up again.  Maintaining a game that does neither of the programs any good just for "traditions" sake makes zero sense. When the teams are in the same district ok because they have to. Having to have security details or playing at SFA costs the schools extra money that neither program should have to pay for traditions sake. You also shouldn't have to have all of that to play a high school sport against one another. 

This is just my opinion and it isn't likely that these two teams wont be on each others schedules for next year. The traditionalists in both towns will be very vocal about it maintaining this game.  I could see taking a 2 year break from the game, but it would resume very quickly in my opinion. 

Well, I personally think that SFA should allow them to play there without "payment". They need athletes and fans in the stands. Some of the best SFA teams were when they had plenty of EAST Texas players on the field and fans in the stands. What better way to improve your overall standing in the 2 communities than allowing them to play in your stadium. Then charge the heck out of everyone else. LOL. 

Hey I want the game to continue for Lufkin's sake--because NO MATTER how bad a Lufkin team is--they can almost ALWAYS beat a Nac team. 🤣

51 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

It may be the longest rivalry but

I don't understand where this myth started either.

The Nac/Lufkin rivalry isn't anywhere close to the longest series.

It's the 14th longest in terms of games played.

They no longer can say it's going for longest consecutive years played, as that ended in 2019 at 60 games, but even then, some series have hit 100/90 consecutive years played.

And overall, it's no where near the oldest rivalry.

Denison/Sherman started in 1902, Ennis/Waxahachie started in 1908, Longview/Marshall started in 1909, Alice/Kingsville in 1909, Lubbock/Plainview in 1910, Mineral Wells/Weatherford, Longview/Tyler in 1910....just looking at series that have 90 or more games played.. Lufkin and Nacogdoches didn't first meet until 1911.

25 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I don't understand where this myth started either.

The Nac/Lufkin rivalry isn't anywhere close to the longest series.

It's the 14th longest in terms of games played.

They no longer can say it's going for longest consecutive years played, as that ended in 2019 at 60 games, but even then, some series have hit 100/90 consecutive years played.

And overall, it's no where near the oldest rivalry.

Denison/Sherman started in 1902, Ennis/Waxahachie started in 1908, Longview/Marshall started in 1909, Alice/Kingsville in 1909, Lubbock/Plainview in 1910, Mineral Wells/Weatherford, Longview/Tyler in 1910....just looking at series that have 90 or more games played.. Lufkin and Nacogdoches didn't first meet until 1911.

I just repeating what was said previously in the thread. I haven't look it up or pretend to know if it was or wasnt.

16 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

It’s been happening between Lufkin and Nacogdoches supporters so much that they’re limiting capacity? Man alive. That alone should be enough to cancel the series.

It was a few gang members from both towns and also local rappers from both towns….it really had nothing to do with the football games or sporting events. Nac is just being petty like last year and making excuses to keep as many Lufkin people away from that 2A stadium they have down there. 

I just wish we would stop playing them. It doesn’t help us at all….other than to save on gas i guess. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Well, I personally think that SFA should allow them to play there without "payment". They need athletes and fans in the stands. Some of the best SFA teams were when they had plenty of EAST Texas players on the field and fans in the stands. What better way to improve your overall standing in the 2 communities than allowing them to play in your stadium. Then charge the heck out of everyone else. LOL. 

Hey I want the game to continue for Lufkin's sake--because NO MATTER how bad a Lufkin team is--they can almost ALWAYS beat a Nac team. 🤣

Might as well play Diboll then….the talent level about the same. Classier fan base though.

Kidding aside, forget tradition. We should start a rivalry with Huntsville, if we’re worried about saving money and playing someone from the pines.

Lufkin/Nac needs to continue--because they are both 5A schools, although one is DI and the other DII--economically it is a cost effective game if they allow crowds to the game. This is just another case of the losers wanting out of traditional game because they haven't found the winning formula yet. 

Just like A&M--left the conference and quit playing Texas because they were so far behind in the series. Texas leads, 76–37–5😉

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Lufkin/Nac needs to continue--because they are both 5A schools, although one is DI and the other DII--economically it is a cost effective game if they allow crowds to the game. This is just another case of the losers wanting out of traditional game because they haven't found the winning formula yet. 

Just like A&M--left the conference and quit playing Texas because they were so far behind in the series. Texas leads, 76–37–5😉

I’m sure many Lufkin fans want out of the game as well.

35 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

The only thing that it saves Lufkin is the headache of finding another opponent. Just like Longview/Marshall should end, Lufkin/Nacogdoches should also end.

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

I don't want out because Nac. loses, I want out because the game does neither team any good. There are other schools to play with the same "economic upside" that would be better prepare each team for their season. 

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

I WANT out and I’m not a fan of those people. I don’t want anything to do with nacogroaches, especially with everything they’ve done the last two seasons. That’s more than enough reason to end this foolish game. Forget tradition and cost! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I WANT out and I’m not a fan of those people. I don’t want anything to do with nacogroaches, especially with everything they’ve done the last two seasons. That’s more than enough reason to end this foolish game. Forget tradition and cost! 

Are you talking about the band issue when y’all came in 2019 ?