Sweet sweet Connie has passed on

mellon

Connie Hamzy, one of the most famous groupies in rock history, has died at the age of 66.

Hamzy had her first groupie experience when she was 15 years old, after her mother dropped her off at a Steppenwolf concert.

“She didn't like to deal with parking. She didn't like to deal with traffic. So, she'd take me out to the fairground early in the afternoon before the traffic got bad,” Hamzy explained to Little Rock, Ark. TV station KTHV. “We'd go out there and then we'd wander around the backstage area, and one thing would lead to another.”

Two years later, Hamzy was immortalized in the lyrics to Grand Funk Railroad’s 1973 hit “We’re an American Band.”

The song’s opening lines went: “Out on the road for forty days / Last night in Little Rock put me in a haze / Sweet, sweet Connie, doin' her act / She had the whole show and that's a natural fact.”

The band’s manager had reportedly alerted Hamzy of the line, but she initially didn’t believe it. A few months later, she happened to hear the song on the radio.

“Right after I graduated high school, me and some gals were laying out by lake number one in North Little Rock in Lakewood,” Hamzy recalled. “I was on the beach tanning and they were on floats swimming and I had my transistor radio on.”

As the radio DJ began to speak, Hamzy’s ears perked up. “Folks, you're not going to believe what we just got into the studio,” she recalled the announcer saying. “It's the new release from Grand Funk Railroad. And you know that dark headed girl we see backstage a lot? Listen to the first few lyrics.”

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/connie-hamzy-rock-groupie-dead/

Though Grand Funk Railroad may have given Hamzy her biggest spotlight, they were far from her most notable rock conquest. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of Kiss, the Who's Keith Moon, Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, Huey Lewis, Frank Zappa, Rush's Geddy Lee, Peter Frampton, Eddie Money, Alice Cooper, Neil Diamond and all three members of ZZ Top were all among the rockers Sweet Connie claimed to have had relations with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 2:34 PM, mellon said:

Connie Hamzy, one of the most famous groupies in rock history, has died at the age of 66.

Hamzy had her first groupie experience when she was 15 years old, after her mother dropped her off at a Steppenwolf concert.

“She didn't like to deal with parking. She didn't like to deal with traffic. So, she'd take me out to the fairground early in the afternoon before the traffic got bad,” Hamzy explained to Little Rock, Ark. TV station KTHV. “We'd go out there and then we'd wander around the backstage area, and one thing would lead to another.”

Two years later, Hamzy was immortalized in the lyrics to Grand Funk Railroad’s 1973 hit “We’re an American Band.”

The song’s opening lines went: “Out on the road for forty days / Last night in Little Rock put me in a haze / Sweet, sweet Connie, doin' her act / She had the whole show and that's a natural fact.”

The band’s manager had reportedly alerted Hamzy of the line, but she initially didn’t believe it. A few months later, she happened to hear the song on the radio.

“Right after I graduated high school, me and some gals were laying out by lake number one in North Little Rock in Lakewood,” Hamzy recalled. “I was on the beach tanning and they were on floats swimming and I had my transistor radio on.”

As the radio DJ began to speak, Hamzy’s ears perked up. “Folks, you're not going to believe what we just got into the studio,” she recalled the announcer saying. “It's the new release from Grand Funk Railroad. And you know that dark headed girl we see backstage a lot? Listen to the first few lyrics.”

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/connie-hamzy-rock-groupie-dead/

Though Grand Funk Railroad may have given Hamzy her biggest spotlight, they were far from her most notable rock conquest. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of Kiss, the Who's Keith Moon, Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, Huey Lewis, Frank Zappa, Rush's Geddy Lee, Peter Frampton, Eddie Money, Alice Cooper, Neil Diamond and all three members of ZZ Top were all among the rockers Sweet Connie claimed to have had relations with.

Old Connie got around, it would seem...😱