💰 The Official NIL thread 💰

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

In other words, screw you UiL

More like "screw you" Southlake Carroll. This changes nothing with UIL, and I'm glad the UIL is sticking to their guns on this. Can you imagine Ewers charging for autographs after games or selling t-shirts with his name on it out in the parking lot? No thanks! Of course none of this has to do with the outrageous salaries paid to professional athletes today. I saw where an current, older NBA player is opting out of next year's contract year because 43 million per year just isn't enough. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

More like "screw you" Southlake Carroll. This changes nothing with UIL, and I'm glad the UIL is sticking to their guns on this. Can you imagine Ewers charging for autographs after games or selling t-shirts with his name on it out in the parking lot? No thanks! Of course none of this has to do with the outrageous salaries paid to professional athletes today. I saw where an current, older NBA player is opting out of next year's contract year because 43 million per year just isn't enough. 

The high schools will pass the fussing on to uil.  I wouldn’t pay for a high schoolers autograph anyway

That money is wasn’t going away. It was still there to be mad in January. 

I really think it was more about being part of the QB competition. Ohio State was always a weird fit for his timeline IMO. Now if loses the job he can be someplace new for Spring football instead of sitting behind an incumbent who just won the job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Kinda of silly but shouldn’t be a problem. There should be some limitations on how much you can make. You can’t really blame him but it is sad cause you only play high school football once.

You only play college football once too..,  if you’re lucky

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Yes but some folks take that for granted. Hardly anyone actually makes it to the NFL let alone a career.

You and I are from a different generation evidently.  These kids now days live only for the minute they’re in

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

That’s incredible and good for him…he’ll still wish he had played his sr year at Southlake high school. 
There is something about high school football, especially in Texas, that you just can’t replace. 

You have to wonder. I know a lot of people on here are very supportive of the kid getting paid. I just wonder if years down the road is if feels like it's worth it. I mean, I would sell my SR year for $1.4m, but I didn't have everything this kid did. 

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

You have to wonder. I know a lot of people on here are very supportive of the kid getting paid. I just wonder if years down the road is if feels like it's worth it. I mean, I would sell my SR year for $1.4m, but I didn't have everything this kid did. 

If the kid was smart, $1.4m is a heck of a start to building a comfortable life. A shoulder injury. Blown out knee. Those NFL paychecks might not come. I just hate seeing that college ball and now high school is a bidding market like the NFL.

6 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

You guys are a lot more positive about it than I am. All I see in the future is top high school seniors opting out of their senior years to get paid. They may not get a million bucks, but it won't take much to pull them from the weekly grind. I'm just glad I'm not a big basketball fan because that sport is going to be totally ruined IMO. Play for travel team, opt out your senior year to get paid to attend a certain university. Play one year at that school and go pro or transfer to the highest bidder. At least in football and baseball, the player has to stay for 3 years prior to going pro.

I also think there should be a limit on the NIL $ received in order to be able to enter the transfer portal. In a few years, college sports (especially basketball) is basically going to be a free agent market every year.

Agree on all points. The game as we know it is over. Players should enter the portal every year, see who offers the most and go there or use it as leverage to your current team and withdraw from the portal if they match or beat. There's gonna be a few kids that master this and likely make more in college than they do in their nfl careers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Agree on all points. The game as we know it is over. Players should enter the portal every year, see who offers the most and go there or use it as leverage to your current team and withdraw from the portal if they match or beat. There's gonna be a few kids that master this and likely make more in college than they do in their nfl careers. 

This is why tradition no longer matters. To us fans? That'll never go away imo, but now kids won't be committing because of the school, close to home, traditions of the school, old rivalries etc. Maybe I was naive to think that was still the case, but its held at least some weight up to this point. Now, it's all about who's going to give them a bigger bag.

That ruins cfb. Should these kids get paid? I think so. But there needs to be a cap or else these bigger programs (with bigger alumni and donors) are just going to pay for wins in the end. And that is not college football (or athletics) to me at all.

40 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

This is why tradition no longer matters. To us fans? That'll never go away imo, but now kids won't be committing because of the school, close to home, traditions of the school, old rivalries etc. Maybe I was naive to think that was still the case, but its held at least some weight up to this point. Now, it's all about who's going to give them a bigger bag.

That ruins cfb. Should these kids get paid? I think so. But there needs to be a cap or else these bigger programs (with bigger alumni and donors) are just going to pay for wins in the end. And that is not college football (or athletics) to me at all.

Agree on the cap. There's no reason whatsoever for a student athlete to be signing 6 figure deals. Keep it limited to under 100k. Thats still a lot but at least we don't see these kids signing deals bigger than most rookie contracts. 

• Like 1

I haven't followed all of this NIL stuff that closely for multiple reasons.  One reason is that I have a hard time about offering a large amount of money to kids which have largely yet to prove themselves in their chosen field of work.  The cost of supporting these deals will ultimately fall back on us fans (consumers).  Should they receive a "salary"?  Sure, but it should be a flat consistent rate across the board.  The whole issue of collegiate athletes getting paid has been around forever.  In fact, recently on TCM, there was a movie about it.

Saturday's Hero was released in 1937 starring Van Heflin with Marian Marsh.

Heflin is a college football star that is scalping his tickets to get by because it is hard to make ends meet as a collegiate athlete.  He is caught doing this and loses his position on the team.  He confronts the college president about this because the schools, collectively, are making $40 million per year on football and the athletes are getting "nothing" for the money that they are bringing in for the schools.  Sound familiar?

The movie was a fun watch despite the plot gaps and the unbelievability of some of it which was typical of the day.  Plus it was enjoyable watching old football clips.

4 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

College athletes nowadays can basically make money off of endorsements without being contractually obligated to a team/school (i.e transfer portal). 

It's literally a Gen Z kids dream. You don't really have to commit, because if you don't like being somewhere you can transfer, while at the same time making millions of dollars simply because you have X amount of social media followers.

I get that.  However, I am not going to buy a product because of some 18 year old is endorsing it.  Of course there will be those that will.  Also gone are the days where kids run down to the field in hopes of getting their favorite player's autograph after the game/practice.  I suspect that if they do they will have to have a PayPal or Venmo account handy on their phone to ensure that the player gets his money.

22 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I get that.  However, I am not going to buy a product because of some 18 year old is endorsing it.  Of course there will be those that will.  Also gone are the days where kids run down to the field in hopes of getting their favorite player's autograph after the game/practice.  I suspect that if they do they will have to have a PayPal or Venmo account handy on their phone to ensure that the player gets his money.

Oh I'm right there with you my friend.

4 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

One reason is that I have a hard time about offering a large amount of money to kids which have largely yet to prove themselves in their chosen field of work.  The cost of supporting these deals will ultimately fall back on us fans (consumers).  Should they receive a "salary"?  Sure, but it should be a flat consistent rate across the board.  The whole issue of collegiate athletes getting paid has been around forever. 

It's a new thing for sure (being able to get paid openly by companies, etc), but it's not the school paying these kids (at least not a ton...unless a ton of their gear gets sold)...don't see how that's going to roll to the fan more than any other type of inflation we deal with.

Can I get my ball back out of your yard?

24 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

It's a new thing for sure (being able to get paid openly by companies, etc), but it's not the school paying these kids (at least not a ton...unless a ton of their gear gets sold)...don't see how that's going to roll to the fan more than any other type of inflation we deal with.

Can I get my ball back out of your yard?

I know that the schools are not paying for this.  I should have put more emphasis on "consumers".  The pool of people wanted to get paid has just gotten larger plus there are new or more companies, etc. that may start to have deals with these athletes.  These companies will have to come up with money somewhere particularly if these deals do not generate additional income.  Companies are not going to compromise their bottom line.  The prices of goods will go up to offset any losses.  Additionally, if things go through the roof because of endorsements, then there is a supply issue and then prices will go up.  I am looking at the worst case scenarios but it is a possibility.

Or does the pool of sponsors remain the same and pro athletes and/or other celebrities begin to lose their opportunities to have deals?

Trickle down economy, no matter how you look at it, the low man (us) on the totem pole pays.

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Another proof NIL is out of hand..