Atlanta at Gilmer

SHillBuckeye

1 hour ago, Bulldogfan72 said:

Even though they are not a good school its more enjoyable than getting 70 hung on us.

You're not playing pre-disctict games to enjoy them. You play them to get better. That's how you make the playoffs. That's how you establish culture. Going 4-0 in predisctict then 0-4 in distric is almost (not quite) as embarassing as going 0-8 to begin with. 

Atlanta has never been a team to shy away from an opponent. When we won state, we went 12-4. Those 4 were Texas High, Marshall, Mount Pleasant, and Hallsville. We also played Paris that year, but we beat them. 

Point is we should be competing with Gilmer, at least for a large portion of the game, and we usually do. We can't just alter our schedule from season to season just because we're having a down year. That's crybaby mess. If we're down, we will take our whoopin' and try to learn/grow from it.

A lot of Atlanta's struggles are just things you don't have any control over. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

That's a little skewed. Would you rather be competing against Gilmer or Quitman? This game wasn't scheduled with the assumption we would be where we are at, keep that in mind. You can win all the pre-district championships all you want, but it won't get you in the playoffs, and chances are, it won't make you any better. 

Let’s put it in context.  The post was I’d rather be 2-0 against bad teams than 0-2.  I think ATL needs to find a balance in the next realignment scheduling between “confidence booster” games and “we ain’t skeered” games until the program is re-established.  I’m sure the new coach will.

2 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Let’s put it in context.  The post was I’d rather be 2-0 against bad teams than 0-2.  I think ATL needs to find a balance in the next realignment scheduling between “confidence booster” games and “we ain’t skeered” games until the program is re-established.  I’m sure the new coach will.

Well in all reality, we should probaby win at least 1 of our first 2 games, if not both. They should be competitive, but ultimately those should be your confidence boosters. Gilmer is definitely a tough game, and L-E is a rivalry game.

I mean who else do you schedule? Linden nor QC is going to play Atlanta. Most of the rest of the teams are in your district. DeKalb, Hughes Springs? 

40 minutes ago, jubilant said:

Whatever happened to them dudes like Curtis Burns? Atlanta don't have none of them no more. That 2003 bunch was some studs. 

That was a good group. Atlanta has had good athletes come through, but couldn't get all the pieces together. 14-15 had some dudes. 17-18 had some really good players as well. Atlanta has some athletic classes coming up, and I think these kids will be ready to play some ball. 

2 hours ago, Bulldogfan72 said:

Where did yall think yall would be at?

Win games against weak competition and don’t make playoffs or go 0-4 in pre district against teams that went at least 2 rounds deep in the playoffs last year and make playoff. I will take playoff for 1000 Alex.

1 hour ago, frozeng03 said:

Win games against weak competition and don’t make playoffs or go 0-4 in pre district against teams that went at least 2 rounds deep in the playoffs last year and make playoff. I will take playoff for 1000 Alex.

Y’all making the playoffs this year?

1 minute ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Been a while since atl was playing football in December. Slow down grasshopper 

Never said December just we have a shot. We been here before and when it counts, we find a way. Beside Tatum and gladewater, there are still two spots to play for. 

8 minutes ago, frozeng03 said:

That’s the plan, but was speaking about last year. I feel we have as good of shot than anyone if we have no more injuries to set up back. 

We gotta learn how to tackle. After Tatum and Gladewater those last 2 spots are anyone’s right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

You're not playing pre-disctict games to enjoy them. You play them to get better. That's how you make the playoffs. That's how you establish culture. Going 4-0 in predisctict then 0-4 in distric is almost (not quite) as embarassing as going 0-8 to begin with. 

Atlanta has never been a team to shy away from an opponent. When we won state, we went 12-4. Those 4 were Texas High, Marshall, Mount Pleasant, and Hallsville. We also played Paris that year, but we beat them. 

Point is we should be competing with Gilmer, at least for a large portion of the game, and we usually do. We can't just alter our schedule from season to season just because we're having a down year. That's crybaby mess. If we're down, we will take our whoopin' and try to learn/grow from it.

A lot of Atlanta's struggles are just things you don't have any control over. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. 

Your also not playing them to lose

3 minutes ago, Bulldogfan72 said:

Your also not playing them to lose

Alright well let's put it into perspective.

Queen City schedules powder puffs in predistrict. Queen City has made it to the playoffs 8 times in 69 years, with 3 district championships. They've never made it past the 2nd round. Ever. (2-8) playoff record.

Atlanta schedules what should be competitive football games against good teams. Atlanta has made it to the playoffs 36 times in 79 years, with 25 district championships. (35-34-2) playoff record with 2 state championship appearances, and 1 state championship. 

Soooo I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying that your end game probably isn't what it should be. Beating up on the worst teams in 2A football week after week will probably not result in tons of improvement. 

2 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Alright well let's put it into perspective.

Queen City schedules powder puffs in predistrict. Queen City has made it to the playoffs 8 times in 69 years, with 3 district championships. They've never made it past the 2nd round. Ever. (2-8) playoff record.

Atlanta schedules what should be competitive football games against good teams. Atlanta has made it to the playoffs 36 times in 79 years, with 25 district championships. (35-34-2) playoff record with 2 state championship appearances, and 1 state championship. 

Soooo I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying that your end game probably isn't what it should be. Beating up on the worst teams in 2A football week after week will probably not result in tons of improvement. 

Confidence man, it gives them confidence. 

• LOL! 1

Just now, Bclove05 said:

Confidence man, it gives them confidence. 

It just makes me laugh that Queen City schedules a 2A school that on average wins 0.7 games per season over the last decade, but will brag about being 3-0 when district starts.