Atlanta at Gilmer

SHillBuckeye

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It just makes me laugh that Queen City schedules a 2A school that on average wins 0.7 games per season over the last decade, but will brag about being 3-0 when district starts. 

Pretty sure we played them one year when we weren’t good and beat them pretty bad. 

1 minute ago, Bulldogfan72 said:

At a certain point no matter who you play you would like to win a little bit.

I do get that, I do. Going 0-10 probaby has a lot to do with that as well, and I don't mean that as a joke. I had multiple people tell me last season that going winless is that last thing you want your team to do, even if to insight change. 

I don't believe Atlanta will go winless. Maybe winless in predistrict, but not winless. I expect them to get better as the season goes on. Already seen improvement from week 1 - 2. These coaches are having to dig deep because the injury bug has left them hanging without a QB or RB. I think they'll figure it out. 

30 minutes ago, Bulldogfan72 said:

At a certain point no matter who you play you would like to win a little bit.

That is very true and I agree 100% and our current HC isn't the one who put the schedule togehter.  I would venture to say that this is probably the last time Atlanta and Gilmer play in football in a long while. BUT, there isn't a soul in QC who has any business, unless it's just good natured ribbing, talking any smack to Atlanta and everyone in East Texas knows that.

We've been on the struggle bus the past couple seasons but it was only in 2018 that we went 4 deep and lost to a Malakoff team that ended up playing in the championship that year.

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It just makes me laugh that Queen City schedules a 2A school that on average wins 0.7 games per season over the last decade, but will brag about being 3-0 when district starts. 

To go from 4 rounds deep a few years ago to battling it out on Smoaky with QC, nice. I love it!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AtlantaFan04 said:

That is very true and I agree 100% and our current HC isn't the one who put the schedule togehter.  I would venture to say that this is probably the last time Atlanta and Gilmer play in football in a long while. BUT, there isn't a soul in QC who has any business, unless it's just good natured ribbing, talking any smack to Atlanta and everyone in East Texas knows that.

We've been on the struggle bus the past couple seasons but it was only in 2018 that we went 4 deep and lost to a Malakoff team that ended up playing in the championship that year.

A game I felt like we should have competed more in. I miss watching King run the ball, that's for sure. And those Samples brothers. 

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

False confidence is a bad thing when hit with reality of District.

I remember Henderson in 2013 going 6-0 but finished 7-3 airing up basketballs when regular season ended. Yeah we had beat up ole Newton and Dfield. 

2015*

To be fair, I thought that team vastly underachieved when it came to the regular season. Y'all beat us that year, and we had a stellar team. Better than 2014 in my opinion, mainly because we had a defense in 2015. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Me either but we put ourselves in that position and was better than Chapel Hill as well.

Yeah I thought y'all had a good team that year. Not sure what happened. Great teams miss the playoffs all the time though. It takes a little more.

Speaking of those teams though, it looks like this could be Ebner's year at Baylor. I saw he had a big game this past weekend. Not a Baylor fan by any stretch, but love to see them ETX boys playing ball no matter where they are. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man U know it’s bad when all you can do is reminisce lol

Man what you mean??? We've literally spent the entire thread talking about how bad it is 🤣. It's bad. We will be back though. Y'all just stick around. 

1 minute ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Lol we plan on it. The next waves of Boyd’s and fluellens and company are on their way 

I have no doubt. My buddy will be calling the game on the radio this weekend for Atlanta, and he was familiarizing himself with names... I just told him to remember the name Fluellen because there's always a Fluellen on Gilmer and they're always making plays lol. 

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Only team I can think of that got worse . I still can’t believe that. Atlanta was at least competitive in 4a. 

4A

2011 - 1 RD - Lost BD (Gilmer)
2012 - 2 RD - Lost Area (Gilmer)
2013 - 2 RD - Lost Area (Gladewater - great game)
2014 - 4 RD - Lost QF (Gilmer)
2015 - 4 RD - Lost QF (Gilmer)
2016 - Missed playoffs. Great team that I felt underachieved.
2017 - 1 RD - Lost BD (Jasper)

3A

2018 - 4 RD - Lost QF (Malakoff)
2019 - Missed playoffs
2020 - 1 RD - Lost BD (Mineola)

To me the recent years are unfortunate but not the worst I've seen. When I was in high school, we were terrible. We won like 2 district games in 3 years. We had some athletes too. 

• Like 1