Week Three: Longview at Tyler Legacy

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-1) vs Tyler Legacy Red Raiders (2-0)  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Tyler Legacy in a close one
    • Tyler Legacy in a blow out

longview.pngtylerlegacy.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (1-1) AT TYLER LEGACY RED RAIDERS (2-0)

DATE: Friday, September 10th, 2021
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: Earl Campbell Field at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium in Tyler, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
TYLER LEGACY BROADCAST: 92.1 The TEAM FM
LIVE STREAM: NFHSNetwork.com

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 45-14-2 longview.png

The Lobos have a 3-0 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 42-14-2 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 24-5-2 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 21-9 lead when the game is played at Tyler Legacy.
Longview has won the last sixteen meetings with the Red Raiders.
Longview is 21-9 all-time against Tyler Legacy at TMF Rose Stadium, with the Lobos winning the last eight meetings there.
The two schools have never played on September 10th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
10.09.2020 - Longview 37, Tyler Legacy 14 - Lobo Stadium
11.01.2019 - Longview 49, Tyler Lee 7 - Lobo Stadium
11.02.2018 - Longview 63, Tyler Lee 14 - Rose Stadium
09.29.2017 - Longview 56, Tyler Lee 26 - Lobo Stadium
09.23.2016 - Longview 56, Tyler Lee 35 - Rose Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Frustration. That is what could easily sum up Longview's first two weeks on offense to start the 2021 season. Held to just 21 points total through 4 halves of football, the Lobos found a way to shut out the Marshall Mavericks the second time in third years in route to a 14-0 victory to grab their first win of the year. The 21 points for Longview through 2 games is the least amount of points scored through 8 quarters since Longview scored just 20 points in 1994. None the less, the win boasted Longview's record to 1-1 on the year and notched their 6th consecutive victory over their rivals to the East. It marked their 64th overall victory against the Mavs, and their 20th win in the last 21 seasons. Sophomore Taylor Tatum became the first sophomore to rush for a score since Kaden Meredith tallied two touchdowns against Marshall in the second game of the season 2018. Jalen Hale remains the youngest Lobo to tally a touchdown when he hauled in a reception for a score in the five game of the 2019 season, his freshmen campaign. The Mavericks did force the Lobos to punt seven times in the game, the most for a Longview team since being forced to punt 8 times against Lufkin back in 2011. Next up for Longview is another long time rival in the Tyler Legacy Red Raiders. The Red Raiders come into the contest, for the second straight season, riding high following victories over Lufkin and Tyler High. Spearheaded by their two big backs, Legacy has dominated most of their two games to start the year, despite what the final score against Cujo looks like. For Longview, the Lobos come into the contest having won 16 games in a row over the Red Raiders, the second most in school history only to Longview's 19-game winning streak over the Mavericks that dates back to the 1980s. Overall in the series, it's been one of domination for the Lobos as they lead the series 45-14-2 in the previous 61 meetings. Legacy's most successful period against Longview came between 1998 and 2002, when the Red Raiders pulled off 5 consecutive victories over the Lobos. Longview heads to Tyler having won 8 in a row at Rose Stadium against the Red Raiders. Overall, the Lobos are 20-1 at Rose Stadium under head coach John King, having won the last 7 times they've been there. Longview, as a program, is riding a 22-1 streak at Rose Stadium dating back to the 2003 season. The Lobos will go for their 50th overall victory at Rose Stadium on Friday night.

WEEK TWO RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Longview 14 Marshall 0
Highland Park 28 Flower Mound 24
McKinney North 16 Justin Northwest 28
Sherman 36 Mount Pleasant 35
Tyler 55 Tyler Legacy 62
West Mesquite 19 Mesquite Poteet 22
Wylie East 29 Irving Nimitz 28

WEEK THREE 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Longview at Tyler Legacy
Highland Park at Coppell
McKinney North at Marshall
Sherman at Saginaw
Tyler at Nacogdoches
West Mesquite vs Fort Worth Chisholm Trail
Wylie East at Royse City

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Wylie East (2-0, 0-0)
2nd. Highland Park (1-1, 0-0)
3rd. Longview (1-1, 0-0)
4th. McKinney North (1-1, 0-0)
5th. Sherman (1-1, 0-0)
6th. West Mesquite (1-1, 0-0)
7th. Tyler (0-2, 0-0)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last game - Cleveland defeated Houston Northbrook 37-6, College Station defeated Fort Bend George Bush 49-7, Conroe Caney Creek fell to Galena Park 34-14, Lufkin defeated Nacogdoches 22-16, Magnolia defeated Brenham 20-6, Magnolia West defeated Temple 27-14, New Caney defeated Humble Kingwood Park 47-27, New Caney Porter fell to Montgomery Lake Creek 35-15, Waller defeated Aldine 62-0.
This week - Cleveland hosts Waller, College Station hosts Magnolia, Lufkin hosts Magnolia West, New Caney hosts New Caney Porter, Conroe Caney Creek is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 1-1 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (189-41 in 18 seasons) (Playoffs: 43-16)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 748-352-52 (Playoffs: 72-43-1)
Playoff Appearances: 46
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Denton Ryan (in Frisco) - Loss 40-7
09.03 - vs Marshall - Win 14-0
09.10 - at Tyler Legacy
09.17 - vs Bryant, AR
09.23 - at West Mesquite
10.01 - vs Wylie East
10.08 - at Highland Park
10.15 - vs Sherman
10.28 - at McKinney North
11.05 - vs Tyler

TYLER LEGACY RED RAIDERS
Record: 2-0 (0-0)
District:10-6A
Coach: Joe Willis (8-6 in 2 seasons) (Playoffs: 1-1)
First Year of Football: 1958
All-Time Record: 306-344-20 (Playoffs: 23-19-0)
Playoff Appearances: 20
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, 6A Division II Area Round
State Championships (1): 2004 (5A D1)
State Championship Appearances (1): 2004 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.27 - at Lufkin - Win 35-17
09.03 - v. Tyler - Win 62-55
09.10 - vs Longview
09.16 - vs Allen
10.01 - at Dallas Skyline
10.08 - vs Rockwall
10.15 - at Mesquite Horn
10.22 - vs North Mesquite
10.29 - at Rockwall Heath
11.05 - vs Mesquite

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 10th
In 1948, Leon Pinkerton tallied twice for Lufkin, but Fox Cashell and Jim Nelson were able to rush in for scores for the Lobos as Longview and the Panthers tied 13-13 at Panther Stadium.
In 1965, Keith Parker kicked a 16 yard field goal and Rodney Hill rushed in from 49 yards out as Longview cruised to a 10-0 win over Waco at Lobo Stadium.
In 1971, Longview visited QM Martin Stadium in Carthage as the Bulldogs and Lobos battled to a 0-0 tie on the night.
In 1976, Hosea Taylor got the scoring started in the second quarter back John Henry Jones added two rushing scores himself in a 31-0 Longview victory over Fort Worth Paschal. The Lobos held the Panthers to negative 9 total yards on the night.
In 1982, Donnie Centers and O’Neal Jackson both scored twice for Longview, while Fred Hunter rushed in a score from 65 yards away as Longview dominated Fort Worth Paschal, 33-9, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1993, L’Vendric Fite rushed for two scores, Chris Butcher rushed in from 52 yards out and Brad Pierce hauled in an 11 yard touchdown reception as Longview tallied up two safeties in a 32-20 win at Killeen.
In 1999, Artillious Alison tallied three touchdowns on the ground at Wildcat-Ram Stadium in Richardson, but Lake Highlands’ John Irvin rushed in from 1 yard out in overtime to secure the win for the Wildcats, 28-21. The Lobos led the game by 7 three separate occasions, including late in the 4th quarter.
In 2004, Malcolm Kelly hauled in two receiving scores, one from 80 yards out, and Vondrell McGee added two rushing scores in a 42-13 Longview victory over Lake Highlands at Lobo Stadium.
In 2010, Kyle Jenkins put Longview up 20-17 with a 45-yard field goal in the 3rd quarter but the Eagles of Allen saw Andrew Rodriguez rush in from 9 yards out with 20 seconds remaining to secure the victory in a 24-20 game at old Eagle Stadium in Allen.

lobohowl2.GIF

This game is going to be very telling for us.  Legacy should be 14 point favorites.  These guys won't forget the high they were riding last year after blowing out Lufkin only to get handled by Longview.  There is blood in the water and I think they are going to keep pushing the score until this game ends.  Our defense will slow them down but our offense is going to have to step it up.

There is no doubt we need to not be under center-play action is dead because our running game is no real threat.  These guys need a shotgun look in formations with extra blockers.  It does take down offensive options but can help us use our talent...and we will need the right QB.

• Like 1

King is stuck in his ways. It was much of the same from week1 to week2 offensively. 

I hopes things would change after the first quarter, I hoped things would change at halftime. But after the third, even though Tatum broke a long run, it was obvious…we are what we are. 

Defense had one of the easiest shutouts they’ll ever have, thankfully facing an offense struggling even more than us.

Its just rough right now. When you’re praising the punting game two weeks in a row, that says it all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VonG said:

Until Legacy actually beats Longview, Lobos edges out Lee with a close win.

Yea, i can’t pick legacy or lee for that reason. I think Longview will still find a way to pull it out. Longview may be struggling but legacy hasn’t beat a good team either. They’ll have to prove it to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Yea, i can’t pick legacy or lee for that reason. I think Longview will still find a way to pull it out. Longview may be struggling but legacy hasn’t beat a good team either. They’ll have to prove it to me.

The history of this series definitely favors Longview, but I can promise you...this team is just not that good right now.  They take me back to the Bero era in how bad and simplistic the offense looks.  Longview really is going to have to make some changes and decisions offensively.

16 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

The history of this series definitely favors Longview, but I can promise you...this team is just not that good right now.  They take me back to the Bero era in how bad and simplistic the offense looks.  Longview really is going to have to make some changes and decisions offensively.

I believe what the Lobo fans are saying. I know y’all are having problems. I just don’t trust Legacy to win it. I just want them to prove it before i pick them against a coach and program that has basically owned them for several years. 

They also gave up a lot points to a bad Tyler team. A Tyler team that I’ve heard bad things about in regards to the talent level and offense. Maybe something happened and they scored a lot of those points on the backups or whatever, but 55? That’s a lot of points to give up. And something tells me if Tyler can do it, then the Lobo running game can get it going too. I understand Legacy has a talented dline and secondary, but 55 to Tyler? Unless it’s a lot of turnovers, I think this game is close regardless. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I saw that one of Legacy’s backs went out against JT. Was it a bad injury or no?

Well..your the first to ask. Nothing came out last night or today. Cant find much on Donnell today. But he is the key piece for Legacy to a win next week. He sprained a ankle and ,they parked him before half. Not sure if it was precautionary, or how serious. His report awaits my prediction. Hes 1/3 of their scheme. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Most of the time no one team dominates another team 100% of the time.  Every dog has his day.  Going with Legacy.

It's been since leather helmets, that Lee beat Longview. That's pretty dominant. I agree nothing last forever, and nothing stays the same.