Week 3: Celina(2-0) @ Argyle(2-0) Friday 7:30 Kickoff

regaleagle

6 hours ago, ConservativeCitizen said:

Celina will come out next week looking to make a statement. I’m sure it’s another quality opponent. Who do they face?

Well, next week they travel to take on Paul Pewitt. No knock against the Brahmas, but I wish it was a more competitive game. The following week, the Bobcats will go to Waco to take on Boerne at McLane Stadium. That should be a good one.

16 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Well, next week they travel to take on Paul Pewitt. No knock against the Brahmas, but I wish it was a more competitive game. The following week, the Bobcats will go to Waco to take on Boerne at McLane Stadium. That should be a good one.

Why in the world would the AD of a 3AD2, who barely missed the 2AD1 cutoff, school schedule a game with a 4AD2 program? That is insanity. To be fair, one could ask why the AD of Celina signed on as well? If I were Celina, I’d use this game to build back my QB’s confidence. I’m not all for running up the score, but if Pewitt wanted to play stupid games, then they should be prepared to win stupid prizes. 

I’ve heard people comparing this Celina team to the 2015 team. The one piece this team is missing in my opinion is a stud running back like they had in 2015! This team is not that they’re good but not on that level at least not yet. As far as Argyle goes unless they have tons of injuries nobody’s beating them!!

10 hours ago, TCU44 said:

Unless Argyle Has mass injuries they will win state this year! Then next year they will be in 5A probably where they belong and  challenge for state there to! They were just better!👍

I hope they do challenge in 5A when that move happens, and I fully believe they will.

Rodgers is a really really good coach and has built an amazing boys and girls athletic program at Argyle, across the board.

Argyle = Miniature Southlake

• Like 3

My take watching the game. 
Argyle should win the 4A DI title. 
They finally have a defense to take pressure off of the offense. 
They now can win both high scoring and low scoring games. 
Celina will need to get better or Gilmer will run them out of the stadium. 
As far as people mentioning Carthage on this thread. Argyle or Celina can’t match the Dawg D and it is not close. 
Now could Carthage beat Argyle or Celina. I don’t know because we have not seen the Carthage offense with all the starters on the field. The Dawgs had zero rushing yards in the first game. That has never happened in Dawg history. They did pass for 426 and won the game even with 5 turnovers in the first half. We will need to see all five O linemen and both running backs before we have a clue how good the Dawgs will be. 
Right now Argyle would be the favorite. We will know in two weeks where the Dawgs stand when we face Gilmer. 
I still say Celina plays Gilmer for the right to play at Jerry’s House. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

As far as people mentioning Carthage on this thread. Argyle or Celina can’t match the Dawg D and it is not close. 
Now could Carthage beat Argyle or Celina. I don’t know because we have not seen the Carthage offense with all the starters on the field. The Dawgs had zero rushing yards in the first game. That has never happened in Dawg history. They did pass for 426 and won the game even with 5 turnovers in the first half. We will need to see all five O linemen and both running backs before we have a clue how good the Dawgs will be. 
Right now Argyle would be the favorite. We will know in two weeks where the Dawgs stand when we face Gilmer. 

You may be rite sir,on all counts,but I'd bet money the Dawgs never get held yardless on the ground again,that couldn't have set well with baby belechick..👀

39 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

By the way.......I'll give the play by play callers of Kenny Arthur and Mitch Cullen 5 stars for keeping us informed on each play in a very professional way. Those guys are really good and do it "for the love of the game".

I thought they did a great job. I don’t mind homers, and they certainly are, but not at all in an obnoxious way. Well done live stream.

Side note, though, Kenny and Mitch were just as confused with Celina’s play calling as anybody lol.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:55 AM, regaleagle said:

One thing is for sure in this game......the fans will show up and fill the stands to see these two teams battle on the gridiron of glory.  Should be an old-fashioned slugfest with some serious defense going on to stop two very good offenses. Both teams have some big boys on the lines, too.  I think the Celina fans will be surprised when they see the Eagles defensive capabilities this season.  It's been the high-octane offense shining brightly in many of these games, but might just turn into a game that is lower scoring than most fans would think.

Basically......this is exactly what took place.

6 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Celina will beat gilmer.

Just now, d0tc0m said:

Maybe. But somebody’s gotta play Carthage. Might as well be the Bobcats.

Yes someone has to get second. I’d prefer it to be Celina. What would be great is if they gave the D1 and D2 champs (Argyle and Carthage) a two week break to recover and practice, then settle it once and for all. I still believe Carthage should be able to defend their 4AD1 title from 2019. Just bugs me. No ones fault. Wishful thinking lol. 

On 9/10/2021 at 9:47 PM, d0tc0m said:

If the score holds, it will be the first time the Bobcats have been shut out since a 2010 playoff loss (17-0) to Lovejoy.

I remember that night well.  LJ switched up their O and D because 4 top players for LOJO were suspended.  Celina borough the house.  I thought Celina dressed out some Alumni, they barely had room to stretch. 

6 hours ago, Leopard4Life said:

I remember that night well.  LJ switched up their O and D because 4 top players for LOJO were suspended.  Celina borough the house.  I thought Celina dressed out some Alumni, they barely had room to stretch. 

Celina tradition. They let everyone dress out during playoffs.

It's too early to get an accurate assessment as to just how good this season's Celina team will be.......but one thing is for certain.  They DO have an excellent D and a very good QB that can perform if he has time.  They also have good receivers and a couple of good RB's in the fold.  You cannot judge Celina's performance against Argyle with what is most probably the best D Argyle has ever assembled and may be the best D in the whole of Class 4A this season.  And the depth of Argyle is just off the charts.......some of that depth is in a battle each week to start as we speak.  There is solid competition within the ranks to play as much as possible.  The coaching staff is having a difficult time......but not complaining.......trying to get so many talented players playing time with the starting units.  So in summary, I would say to look for Celina to win out at least until the regional final.  Aubrey is the ONLY opponent that could possibly get in Celina's way......they are in the same district......and both will eventually meet in the playoffs at some point, IMHO.

45 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

It's too early to get an accurate assessment as to just how good this season's Celina team will be.......but one thing is for certain.  They DO have an excellent D and a very good QB that can perform if he has time.  They also have good receivers and a couple of good RB's in the fold.  You cannot judge Celina's performance against Argyle with what is most probably the best D Argyle has ever assembled and may be the best D in the whole of Class 4A this season.  And the depth of Argyle is just off the charts.......some of that depth is in a battle each week to start as we speak.  There is solid competition within the ranks to play as much as possible.  The coaching staff is having a difficult time......but not complaining.......trying to get so many talented players playing time with the starting units.  So in summary, I would say to look for Celina to win out at least until the regional final.  Aubrey is the ONLY opponent that could possibly get in Celina's way......they are in the same district......and both will eventually meet in the playoffs at some point, IMHO.

Regale, Argyle has a very good defense but no where near as good as the Dawgs, not even close. 

I respect your opinion, but since we cannot see these teams play I am of the opinion that player for player and even depthwise Argyle has the better overall D this season.  Of course opinions are a dime a dozen......even those backed up with some facts.  Besides.......if you read my words closely, you will note that I stated the key words "may be".......just to leave some conjecture into the statement.

Just now, regaleagle said:

I respect your opinion, but since we cannot see these teams play I am of the opinion that player for player and even depthwise Argyle has the better overall D this season.  Of course opinions are a dime a dozen......even those backed up with some facts.  Besides.......if you read my words closely, you will note that I stated the key words "may be".......just to leave some conjecture into the statement.

Argyle definitely has the depth advantage, but I will take the Dawg starting 11 over Argyle for one big reason. The speed all 11 Dawgs attack the ball with. 

Just now, cowboyandchrist said:

Argyle definitely has the depth advantage, but I will take the Dawg starting 11 over Argyle for one big reason. The speed all 11 Dawgs attack the ball with. 

Two differing units performing for the same result......with different defensive schemes from their respective coaching staffs.  It's difficult to assess which unit would show out against the other vs the offense they are facing.  Let's just leave it at "both teams have what appears to be a best in class defense".