Week Four: Longview vs Bryant, AR

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (2-1) vs Bryant Hornets (2-0)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Bryant in a close one
    • Bryant in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2021 at 12:30 AM

18 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Several years ago LV hosted North Little Rock High School which was one of the best teams, overall, in Arkansas.  NLR had a running back that went on to sign with Alabama.  I think that he may have barely rushed for around 100 yards.  I attended that game which LV won.  The difference in the game I believe was that NLR had never played against a team with the overall team speed, especially on defense, that LV possessed.  This year's edition of the Lobos is not the same caliber of the Lobos then but this is probably going to be a decent game.  Don't be surprised about the outcome of this game either way.  Bryant is an excellent program and a state champion the last two seasons I believe.  Don't get too overconfident because of what you think you know or actually don't know about Arkansas football.  A team came out of Little Rock a few years ago and beat Highland Park in Dallas stopping their long home winning streak.  Just saying...

That team that beat hp is a private school tho 

17 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

I don't member it being that close didn't we win by 16 

They scored first to go up 6-0.

Then we scored on a punt return in the 2nd quarter to go up 7-6, followed by two actual offensive touchdowns to take a 21-6 lead in the 3rd. Another receiving touchdown late in the 3rd brought them to within 21-14 going into the 4th quarter.

They had the ball deep in their territory in the 4th quarter, we forced a punt and then Jalen Porter returned a block punt for the 28-14 lead, and then we picked up a safety on the next drive I believe to win 30-14.

Game was much closer than most Lobos remember. We had 10 yards passing the entire night, with Chumley's first game at the helm. Obviously that won't happen Friday, or at least it better not.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 1:52 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Post game show with head coach John King following Longview's 46-20 win over Tyler Legacy:

https://lobohistory.com/audio/2021/tylerlegacypostgame.mp3

Hoping to get the audio highlights up later this evening, but thought I'd requote this post game interview real quick.

20 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Forgot about that. And we won 37-14 over Legacy, so that’s a good comparison.

Longview could look like a whole diff team with 10 at qb for 4 quarters . wanna pull for 12 because he returns and started last year but it looks to be obvious. If the offense plays like it did Friday it could be a good gm for Longview . Defense is good enough to get some stops 

9 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Will tickets be sold at the game Friday ?

My understanding is that, as this is a home game, ticket sales will follow the usual format. There should be some general admission tickets available at the gate. 

Of course, all that could change tomorrow. Who knows. But as soon as I know what's official I'll be glad to share it here, if LoboFan or Anti don't first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 5:25 PM, SiriusDogon7 said:

Several years ago LV hosted North Little Rock High School which was one of the best teams, overall, in Arkansas.  NLR had a running back that went on to sign with Alabama.  I think that he may have barely rushed for around 100 yards.  I attended that game which LV won.  The difference in the game I believe was that NLR had never played against a team with the overall team speed, especially on defense, that LV possessed.  This year's edition of the Lobos is not the same caliber of the Lobos then but this is probably going to be a decent game.  Don't be surprised about the outcome of this game either way.  Bryant is an excellent program and a state champion the last two seasons I believe.  Don't get too overconfident because of what you think you know or actually don't know about Arkansas football.  A team came out of Little Rock a few years ago and beat Highland Park in Dallas stopping their long home winning streak.  Just saying...

lol...I don't know of any Longview poster who would be overconfident with this game after the way we have played this year.  Bryant hasn't won 32 straight games and 3 consecutive state championships by not being the best team in the entire state of Arkansas.  I think Bryant should be favored by 10 in this game even at Lobo.  Most likely will be the best team other than DR we see this year.  (I think HP has their most average team in many years).  

We will see though....if LV plays like they did on Friday for 4 quarters, then this will be a fantastic game.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 8:09 PM, WhyUMad said:

Closer than what the experts think! They will be better coached than that NLR team.

What are you talking about?  Where has any poster said this game will be easy or a blowout.  I am sure we have some extreme homers who think Lobos win easily but no one else.  Bryant is a very disciplined and solid team.  Longview has its work cut out for them.

7 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

Longview could look like a whole diff team with 10 at qb for 4 quarters . wanna pull for 12 because he returns and started last year but it looks to be obvious. If the offense plays like it did Friday it could be a good gm for Longview . Defense is good enough to get some stops 

No truer words ever typed.  If he gets the start and they get rolling, it is going to be a good night of football.  I just think Bryant's line play is going to be a difference maker in the game.  They should be favored to win, but they are going to have to take it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

No truer words ever typed.  If he gets the start and they get rolling, it is going to be a good night of football.  I just think Bryant's line play is going to be a difference maker in the game.  They should be favored to win, but they are going to have to take it.

I think it’ll be good game. Longview although young still prob has a better secondary at least in overall speed that Bryant has seen in a little bit. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

I think it’ll be good game. Longview although young still prob has a better secondary at least in overall speed that Bryant has seen in a little bit. 

Longview's secondary is (arguably) one of their most talented ever, they're just very young and inexperienced. But the potential is there. Once they catch up with the speed of the game and start to get more comfortable with their coverages and assignments, they're going to be special. 

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

Longview's secondary is (arguably) one of their most talented ever, they're just very young and inexperienced. But the potential is there. Once they catch up with the speed of the game and start to get more comfortable with their coverages and assignments, they're going to be special. 

you would know before me , but I could def believe that. Defense as a whole isn’t all that bad imo. Definitely good enough to keep them in games until offense catches up. when they do could imagine most teams will be wanting to avoid lobos per usual. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LOL said:

Budhha Garrett, Willie Nelson, Chase Smith, Jaiden Simmons.....

All sophomores in that secondary, all will play on Saturdays eventually. Hell, they dont even play like sophomores. Helluva year those 4 have had so far....Garrett was extremely dominant vs Legacy (11 tackles, 4 TFL and dropped 2-3 picks). He was still easing back from injury those first two weeks.

Sublett aint a bad underclassmen either....not to mention Boone.

The defense is strong now no doubt but in 2022 and 2023, it'll be special.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

lol...I don't know of any Longview poster who would be overconfident with this game after the way we have played this year.  Bryant hasn't won 32 straight games and 3 consecutive state championships by not being the best team in the entire state of Arkansas.  I think Bryant should be favored by 10 in this game even at Lobo.  Most likely will be the best team other than DR we see this year.  (I think HP has their most average team in many years).  

We will see though....if LV plays like they did on Friday for 4 quarters, then this will be a fantastic game.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell he's talking about. Where did he get overconfident from?

We know what's coming to Lobo Friday.

Concerning the matchup, their defense is giving up 4 PPG so far. Crazy stuff...but I actually believe that we'll be able to move the ball on them...assuming we roll out Thomas, block well and limit penalties.

The key matchup here is actually their offense vs our defense. In my opinion, this is the best OL we've seen this year...MAYBE even offense in general. 3-4 D1 caliber guys up front....not to mention a big ol' TE/H that goes about 6'3 230. He can block his you know what off and at times....will line up on the outside and beat you with size. D1 caliber player in the backfield....with a tall QB that can sling it a little bit.

This game will really show us how much we've grown defensively since Week 1. Hopefully JJ Rougley will be back this week. We'll need Boone and Fairchild healthy too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ANTI said:

Sublett aint a bad underclassmen either....

Yeah, I'm on record about Sublett, he's my "Rudy."

Undersized, but brings maximum effort and doesn't shy away from contact. Keeps his head in the game and has a nose for the ball. 

10 hours ago, ANTI said:

Yeah, I don't know what the hell he's talking about. Where did he get overconfident from?

We know what's coming to Lobo Friday.

Concerning the matchup, their defense is giving up 4 PPG so far. Crazy stuff...but I actually believe that we'll be able to move the ball on them...assuming we roll out Thomas, block well and limit penalties.

The key matchup here is actually their offense vs our defense. In my opinion, this is the best OL we've seen this year...MAYBE even offense in general. 3-4 D1 caliber guys up front....not to mention a big ol' TE/H that goes about 6'3 230. He can block his you know what off and at times....will line up on the outside and beat you with size. D1 caliber player in the backfield....with a tall QB that can sling it a little bit.

This game will really show us how much we've grown defensively since Week 1. Hopefully JJ Rougley will be back this week. We'll need Boone and Fairchild healthy too.

The easy thing to see is that they don't play too many teams that have the overall team speed and athletes that Longview will put on the field.  The only exception to that is NLR and Trinity Christian (played last year)...and those games were close. They beat PA in the scrimmage but they are more like a HP than a GNPS or Desoto.  If our speed/athleticism is a major difference in this game, I hope it doesn't down play the type of team we are playing.

Their offense is very dynamic.  Watching some of their blocking schemes out of the pistol and one back sets is pretty awesome.  I said before it reminds me a lot of Carthage because they will line up 10 different ways to keep the defense off balance.  What honestly impresses me the most, if you go back and watch games from years past, is their ability to adjust to the blitz.  I am not sure if their QB this year has the experience to recognize and change the plays that quickly but if he does, we are going to have to tackle well.

This game is exactly what we need.  Definitely can't afford to fall behind early.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yeah, I'm on record about Sublett, he's my "Rudy."

Undersized, but brings maximum effort and doesn't shy away from contact. Keeps his head in the game and has a nose for the ball. 

I'm pretty good a forecasting future Lobo talent, admittedly Sublett came out of nowhere. That's the beauty of Longview though, there's always that surprise player.

Budhha Garrett had his injury in the spring and that gave Sublett opportunity to showcase his abilities. He took full advantage. I am glad that Berry has found a way to incorporate schemes and packages that have both Garrett and Sublett on the field at once (our defense can run any scheme with the personnel we have). Garrett definitely has to be on the field, that's a future DI player. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I will lose it if Thomas doesn’t start on Friday.

Hopefully Tatum is able to go Friday, doesn’t sound like it was too serious.

This is really good to hear about Tatum because we are going to need him.  The guy on their website confirmed that they don't get matched on team speed very often.  Again, not sure how often they see a team with our overall speed but goodness we are going to have to be disciplined on Friday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

This is really good to hear about Tatum because we are going to need him.  The guy on their website confirmed that they don't get matched on team speed very often.  Again, not sure how often they see a team with our overall speed but goodness we are going to have to be disciplined on Friday.

I scared the crap outta my family because I practically screamed when Tatum caught that deep route.

Man, if we can get defenses worried about covering him downfield as a receiver it opens up a HUGE dimension to the offense. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic