***Week 4: Winona Wildcats (1-2) @ Alto Yellowjackets (0-1) - 9/17/2021***

StingEmALTO

Who wins?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Winona
    • Alto

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2021 at 12:30 AM

50 minutes ago, CAC1231 said:

I think Gamble and the Jackets get it done in a nail biter 

Man, I sure did enjoy watching your boy play against Waskom the other night. He is something else. That run he made that was called back for holding is a prime example. He is a work horse and I know you are proud of him. All the best this season. Gonna be a special one!

11 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Man, I sure did enjoy watching your boy play against Waskom the other night. He is something else. That run he made that was called back for holding is a prime example. He is a work horse and I know you are proud of him. All the best this season. Gonna be a special one!

Thank you for saying that. He has put a lot of work in the past few seasons in has definitely showed on the field.  It’s nice to hear opposing fans/ fans of football give him props.  Good luck to the Jackets this season as well 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDJ89 said:

Probably Alto, what's the future looking like for Alto football?

We’re coming along. Hate that we’ve had to miss the last two weeks and anxious to see us back in action. Our loss to Troup was a lot of sloppiness on our part; too many turnovers and big plays we gave up. The coaches have moved some kids around I think to maximize our talent. We’ll see how it pays off in the game.

We are a work in progress and as is so many times the case when changing coaching staffs, questions will be answered the more we play. Game situations tell the tale and you learn who can do what. I’m expecting improvement weekly and for us to compete for the district championship.

Since the Grapeland game got moved from the last district game to the first game, we’ll have to figure it out quickly!

10 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

We’re coming along. Hate that we’ve had to miss the last two weeks and anxious to see us back in action. Our loss to Troup was a lot of sloppiness on our part; too many turnovers and big plays we gave up. The coaches have moved some kids around I think to maximize our talent. We’ll see how it pays off in the game.

We are a work in progress and as is so many times the case when changing coaching staffs, questions will be answered the more we play. Game situations tell the tale and you learn who can do what. I’m expecting improvement weekly and for us to compete for the district championship.

Since the Grapeland game got moved from the last district game to the first game, we’ll have to figure it out quickly!

Compete for a district championship???? Is yall's district down or something?

25 minutes ago, theprodigy said:

Compete for a district championship???? Is yall's district down or something?

Every team has at least one loss, even Normangee who was state ranked and got beat 37-0 last week. The way I look at it it’s anyone’s district. And why not us? This group won district in 7th, 8th and JV so they have it in them to compete. That’s what we play for around here: championships. We may not always win them but that’s what we strive for. So yes, I think we’ll compete. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Every team has at least one loss, even Normangee who was state ranked and got beat 37-0 last week. The way I look at it it’s anyone’s district. And why not us? This group won district in 7th, 8th and JV so they have it in them to compete. That’s what we play for around here: championships. We may not always win them but that’s what we strive for. So yes, I think we’ll compete. 

Oh I totally agree that is everyone's goal and I hope for you and the kids it happens but what I am saying is if yall go from 2-8 to district champs in a year..... yall better give this new coach a pay raise!!!

11 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Has Alto installed turf yet?

1 hour ago, theprodigy said:

Oh I totally agree that is everyone's goal and I hope for you and the kids it happens but what I am saying is if yall go from 2-8 to district champs in a year..... yall better give this new coach a pay raise!!!

😂 Yes sir!!  You might be onto something. lol The thing is it's just the expectation here, whether some years it is realistic or not.  And people understand that.  I mean we were 10-0 the year before but with a young crew last year we hoped we could compete for the district championship, but it didn't go our way.  We were in most games (the district champion Normangee players told our players that it was the toughest game they had played all season to that point; also, we were up 24-6 at the half over Centerville and had a chance to put that game away but didn't).  After some personnel changes, we finished the last two games with wins.  We didn't have the start we wanted this year, but Troup is a dang could ball team who is 3-0 right now with 19 seniors.  I feel like as we move along from week to week in this new system that we will get better, be competitive, and maybe even surprise some people.  That is my hope anyway.  With a junior on the team who has always dreamed of these days since he was able to walk, time is really important and it is fleeting.....

SOOOOO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm ready for a good comeback story! lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

Has Alto installed turf yet?

No sir, not yet but hopefully someday in the future. Some may forget because I know life goes on, but our students are still in portable buildings from the tornadoes of 2019. Rainy days and storms are an adventure! lol We ARE, however, making progress on our new high school and coliseum but there have been construction delays because you can’t get steel, material, etc. Move in date is spring 2022 (we’ll see!). So right now turf hasn’t been a priority, but we have a pretty dang good-looking grass field and the best end zone painters around! Lol

808D2387-2299-44CC-89BA-388F362D6A80.jpeg

5571F8C4-C730-4BD0-AB39-ECB8C4562576.jpeg

9852FE21-F17C-4205-9F0E-2ED95E7F116D.jpeg

584A6995-7405-4EC3-82A6-C2F70833DCCA.jpeg

• Like 4

Winona Wildcats (1-2) at Alto Yellowjackets (0-1)

7:30 p.m. Friday at Cam'Ron Matthews Field at Yellowjacket Stadium, Alto

Coaches: Keylon Kincade, Winona; Lance Gamble, Alto

Last Week: Elysian Fields 41, Winona 0; Alto was unable to play due to COVID-19 protocols.

Next Week: Grand Saline at Winona; San Augustine at Alto

Game Analysis: Alto has only played one game this fall, and that was in Week 0 when the Mean Sting fell to Troup. COVID-19 issues have prevented Alto from playing and practicing for the past two weeks and that could be a real challenge for the Yellowjackets to overcome. The Mean Sting should be fired up this week, being back on the field and playing before what promises to be a large homecoming crowd. Winona edged Lone Oak, 28-21, in Week 0 and has not scored a point since then.

13ED9B84-3C63-4749-81F2-91DB1A062795.jpeg

1 hour ago, StingEmALTO said:

No sir, not yet but hopefully someday in the future. Some may forget because I know life goes on, but our students are still in portable buildings from the tornadoes of 2019. Rainy days and storms are an adventure! lol We ARE, however, making progress on our new high school and coliseum but there have been construction delays because you can’t get steel, material, etc. Move in date is spring 2022 (we’ll see!). So right now turf hasn’t been a priority, but we have a pretty dang good-looking grass field and the best end zone painters around! Lol

808D2387-2299-44CC-89BA-388F362D6A80.jpeg

5571F8C4-C730-4BD0-AB39-ECB8C4562576.jpeg

9852FE21-F17C-4205-9F0E-2ED95E7F116D.jpeg

584A6995-7405-4EC3-82A6-C2F70833DCCA.jpeg

How has the field been holding up in the rain, when my boys was there back in '06-'07, it didn't hold up to well?