Retired General On FOX: 'General Milley Call Being Sensationalized'

BarryLaverty

Much more emphasis on the wrong part of this story, it seems..and this reinforces my contention that Trump was running amuck. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/retired-general-defends-mark-milleys-calls-china-fox-news-being-sensationalized-081219071.html

Retired general defends Mark Milley’s calls to China on Fox News: 'Being sensationalized'

Retired General Jack Keane appeared on The Story With Martha MacCallum Wednesday, where he came to the defense of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley. In the upcoming book, Peril, by Bob Woodward and Robert Costa, it’s reported that Milly made secret calls with China in October 2020 and January 2021 over fears former President Trump might start a war. It’s reported that the purpose of the calls was to assure his Chinese counterpart that Trump would not start a war.

While Republicans have become enraged by the reporting, calling Milley’s actions treasonous, and calling for him to resign or be fired, Keane says the calls were nothing out of the ordinary.

“General Milley’s making a phone call to provide reassurances, which is his job,” Keane said. “I mean, he's executing his responsibility and he’s doing it in concert with his own advisers and then sharing that with the interagency.”

Keane also said that the president not being briefed on the calls was nothing unusual, and believes the whole story is being overblown.

“I don’t see anything that is undermining the civilian control of the military,” Keane said. “If you took the facts, that are, I think, being sensationalized in this report, that would be an issue, as you (McCallum) just regurgitated here. But that is not what the Pentagon is reporting. It seems to be pretty much in sync with what we're used to seeing.”

One of the main things causing outrage among some is the report that Milly made these calls in secret, making some believe he was undermining Trump, as has been the message in some segments on Fox News’s primetime shows. But Fox’s own Jennifer Griffin reported on Wednesday that the calls were in fact not secret, and that they were coordinated with multiple high-level Pentagon officials. It was even reported that Trump’s Secretary of Defense Mark Esper took the lead in the first call.

Keane believes that once the facts come out, they will be much less salacious than the stories being circulated right now.

“I think we’re gonna get all the facts on this, and I'd be surprised if it's anything more than what we're seeing right now,” Keane said. “Leaders calling Chinese leaders to provide them with a degree of assurance because of their concerns that they had been expressing, likely to one another.”

Keane also responded to some right-wing voices demanding that the call transcripts be released.

“I don’t think we should make it a habit to [be] releasing transcripts. I mean, just think about this. Let’s use some common sense here,” Keane said. “Milley is developing a relationship with an adversarial counterpart, and if we start releasing transcripts of those conversations, that’s just gonna blow up the relationship. 

3 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Treason is treason.......

How is telling the military not to take orders from the Commander in Chief become "sensationalized".  Straight up treason.  Not to mention calling the communist enemy to warn them in case something happens.

5 hours ago, ObiOne said:

How is telling the military not to take orders from the Commander in Chief become "sensationalized".  Straight up treason.  Not to mention calling the communist enemy to warn them in case something happens.

No one mentions how retarded this guy is to think trump would do something like that. It’s almost like they were making him out to be crazy on purpose. Weird.

13 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

No one mentions how retarded this guy is to thing trump would do something like that. It’s almost like they were making him out to be crazy on purpose. Weird.

You are talking about Donald J Trump, right???? He's crazy as a bedbug, and everyone outside his cult knows this. 🙄

• Stinks 1

Even if the ridiculous statements he said about President Trump were true, which they were not, what Milley did was still straight up treason  ....  Milley was not in the chain of command and what he did was totally unconstitutional  ....  his actions were totally out of line ..... this is just another political general spewing nonsense ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

You are talking about Donald J Trump, right???? He's crazy as a bedbug, and everyone outside his cult knows this. 🙄

Joe Biden is crazier than a bedbug and everyone outside his cult know this.  👍

• Thanks 2