Players in Daingerfield

BEARDEDGOAT

1 hour ago, UnclePigg said:

TCU. Played with the Bills/Redskins for a while as well. I’m pretty sure he played LB in the league. He’s a captain with the Dallas Fire department now; works at the same firehouse as a friend of mine. 

Oh cool! I haven't seen him or Jamie in forever.  To make a move to LB he must have gained a lot of weight,  which is possible. Question tho, did he transfer from Texas Tech to TCU? Really doesn't matter, I'm happy to hear about him working to help the community if need be. 

1 hour ago, KrookedWolfe said:

Oh cool! I haven't seen him or Jamie in forever.  To make a move to LB he must have gained a lot of weight,  which is possible. Question tho, did he transfer from Texas Tech to TCU? Really doesn't matter, I'm happy to hear about him working to help the community if need be. 

I stand corrected he played safety, but I’m not sure about the transfer 

3 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Rodney Mims. Edwin Mims, Johnny Hendrix, Johnny King, Mintorn Mims, David Mims II…… Just a few players that weren’t named. Also Greg Evan’s & Jamie Evan’s. Tigers have a rich history. 

93 I think ya gotta realize that some players won't get recognition simply because they were overshadowed by positions that got more attention. Rodney Mims and Johhny Hendricks played in the secondary in a time when teams rarely threw the ball unless it was bomb. Maybe a out and up or post route. Johnny Ray was a good LB when he played. Greg and Jamie won't get QB recognition because it wasn't a such thing as mobile QBs in those days. It was a busted play and they had to scramble. In my opinion the best example of a stand up  QB was Nat(Nakia Smith).. Edwin was a good RB, but he had lots of competition with Reggie Boyd as a starter. I agree the Tigers have rich history and that's why it's so hard to say who's best. 

47 minutes ago, KrookedWolfe said:

93 I think ya gotta realize that some players won't get recognition simply because they were overshadowed by positions that got more attention. Rodney Mims and Johhny Hendricks played in the secondary in a time when teams rarely threw the ball unless it was bomb. Maybe a out and up or post route. Johnny Ray was a good LB when he played. Greg and Jamie won't get QB recognition because it wasn't a such thing as mobile QBs in those days. It was a busted play and they had to scramble. In my opinion the best example of a stand up  QB was Nat(Nakia Smith).. Edwin was a good RB, but he had lots of competition with Reggie Boyd as a starter. I agree the Tigers have rich history and that's why it's so hard to say who's best. 

Johnny played better fullback. Was unstoppable and Edwin was up for player of the year in the nation as corner/safety. Neither were overshadowed. They were the studs of their teams at the time. 

Don't forget Greg Evans, Tony Evans, Gene Rowe, Cedric Williams, Doug Pittman, Monty White, JJ Chism, 68 team had studs too.  Way too many to list the greatest.  Thomas Everett had the best overall career but never won a State Championship.  Steve Stutsman was probably the best overall in high school.  He started both ways and punted.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 7:44 AM, GoBigBlue said:

Don't forget Greg Evans, Tony Evans, Gene Rowe, Cedric Williams, Doug Pittman, Monty White, JJ Chism, 68 team had studs too.  Way too many to list the greatest.  Thomas Everett had the best overall career but never won a State Championship.  Steve Stutsman was probably the best overall in high school.  He started both ways and punted.  

BB all those players were mentioned except Monty White FS went to Sam Houston, Big J LB (JJ Chism) Oklahoma St.  Steve Stutsman (a big guy atleast 6'3 225lbs) also ran track on mile relay (3:16.5)that went to State in 1986 with Charles Lafayette,  David Mims and Ashley Lewis. (May be fastest time mile relay in Dfield History)The only relay team remotely close that year was Jefferson with Ron Jackson, Keith&Kevin Smith(Texas A&M) and later Dfield Jr.High Principal Terry Johnson) That year the Tigers smoked them in Commerce on a windy day to qualify for State in Waco) Like I said Dfield had some freak of nature type athletes with tremendous heart through the years that Tigers fans may or may not see again. (Ashley Lewis played LB for the Tigers in 85-86 with a broken jaw wired shut) for the love of the game). Also a couple of other dual sport athletes I never mentioned was Greg Johnson, Chauncey Fredrick.  Still with all these names there are still great athletes not mentioned that deserve recognition(old and new school Tigers). It would turn into a book if we kept naming. 

9 minutes ago, GoBigBlue said:

Edwin played all over.  Great Athlete and man.  I should remember who played QB but don't.  They were the team right after ours.  Maybe Scooter was?  He played WR with us but I seem to remember him playing back up QB as well some.

I know he played QB against New Boston in the play offs. Dude ran all over them. 

1 hour ago, BEARDEDGOAT said:

Didn't Edwin play QB?

Edwin played RB/Flanker with the offense Coach Stan Williams ran. He was with Reggie Boyd as RB. Both got carries, the game against Southlake Carrol is what I remember most. The Tigers won in Greenville coming off the previous year that Southlake blew us out under D.A. 

26 minutes ago, GoBigBlue said:

Are you talking about Edwin or his son Edwin?  Both great athletes.  Scooter Stewart was the QB in 89.  I just confirmed it.

I just remember Scooter as a WR that ran a perfect out&up route. He was like a Freshman on the 86 team. The game vs Springtown sticks out most when I think of scooter. Still under D.A. as coach. 

52 minutes ago, GoBigBlue said:

Are you talking about Edwin or his son Edwin?  Both great athletes.  Scooter Stewart was the QB in 89.  I just confirmed it.

Well BB the way I thought it went was with Jamie Evans 85-86, Eric Turner/Greg Evans in 87-88. Then maybe Nakia Smith(Fernando Smith younger bro as Qb from 89-92... I could be wrong because Nat would've been like a Fresh/Sophomore in 89..  

1 hour ago, GoBigBlue said:

I think he's talking about son when we beat New Boston in Mt Pleasant. He ran a kickoff back for a TD is the closing minute in the game. That's when NB had that RB that went to Oregon State and the TB (Gladney)that went to TCU. Gladney played DB in college, maybe even went pro.. I'm not real sure.

50 minutes ago, BEARDEDGOAT said:

yeah I was talking about Jr. but I heard senior was the truth too. 

He was really real BG.  A very good/standout player on a good team.  Tough and with good speed and he displayed that against really good teams in the years where it was just one 3A. I always make reference to one 3A because back then Dfield may had 400 students in high school compared to Carthage or Gilmer with 600. Didn't matter, if we were all 3A, then we played ball. No D1 & D2..

The big name players are fun to talk about, but what really makes a great team are the guys that start and don't get the accolades.  1 that comes to mind in 83 was Tim Lipham.  Dude started 16 games at Defensive end.  The rest of that defense had stars at almost every position, but Tim was just that steady player who never made a mistake.  

I've always been partial to those guys, since I was one of them myself.

3 hours ago, coachc45 said:

The big name players are fun to talk about, but what really makes a great team are the guys that start and don't get the accolades.  1 that comes to mind in 83 was Tim Lipham.  Dude started 16 games at Defensive end.  The rest of that defense had stars at almost every position, but Tim was just that steady player who never made a mistake.  

I've always been partial to those guys, since I was one of them myself.

No doubt about it 45. Hats off to all Tiger players because they all played a important role in the overall success of the Tiger Program. It takes all players and good coaching to be great. Again I appreciate you and all players that have built Tiger Pride.  I wasn't a game changer or standout player myself, but even if I were Smoaky readers would never know it. If I talked about myself on Smoaky I'd say I  was Valedictorian of my class, but that would be a lie 🤣. I'm a fan and supporter of the Tigers now. Bones too brittle anyway lol