District 7-4A D1

Texski

Many have stated the past 2 years that District 7-4A D1 is the best 4A D1 district in the state. 

I'm not sure it was true last year. Argyle was the best D1 team in the state and ran the table never really being challanged. Paris and Melissa were 2A & 2B and were both very good teams, but the rest of the 4 teams in the district were not very good at all and Rachview was terrible.

Fast forward to this year and it IS likely this is the best 4A D1 district in the state.

The current non-district standings are...

Argyle   3-0 

Kaufman 3-0

Terrell   3-0

Anna  3-0

Paris  2-1

Melissa  1-2

Ranchview  0-3

Argyle is still Argyling. Just do not see anybody in the district coming within 3 TDs of them. Nobody may challnge them til very deep in playoffs.

IMO Paris and Melissa still 2A & 2B. Paris is still very good and always seems to have a stable of RBs and a 3 year year starter at QB.

Melissa is better than the 1-2 record indicates, but perhaps just the homer in me. they were 13-13 with a very good Celina team in the 3rd q and were 35-35 with a very underrated and dangerous Frisco Memeorial team late in 3rd q before the wheels fell off. IMO Memorial is a 5A D2 top 25 team but are also in a loaded district. They have a great QB and 2 stud WRs along with a big phyisal D. I think the Cardinals have a solid chance to knock off state ranked Midlo Heritage if they protect the ball and cut down on penalties. Melissa absolutely demolished Carter last week 60-7. Carter not a good team but not a bad team either as they defeated an always average 5A Cleburne the week before. At one point in the 3rd q Melissa had outgained Carter 480 to -12.

The gap between the rest of the district appears to have closed or at a minimum the rest of the district has improved quite a bit minus Ranchview, who is still terrible.

Kaufman won the state 7 on 7 in the spring so it was obvious there was talent there and the now have a knack for winning close games against decent opponents. 

You could tell last year that Kanye Nix would be a future star for Terrell and looks like he is as Terrell has rolled to a 3-0 start albeit against a weak schedule. It gets much tougher for the Tigers against a very good Aubrey team this week. Don't think Terrell has quite enough to win but if they do or keep it close we will know they are for real.

I've said for a while that Anna could be a sleeping giant. They had a home run hire that seems to be paying instant divedends. There has always been some talented players for the Coyotes but just no depth and little community support. The tide seems to be changing now. The schedule hasn't been the toughest but the 2 TD win over WF Hirschi was an eye-opener. Anna should roll at home against N. Lamar this week and would put them at 4-0. Not sure the last time that has happened.

Looking forward to district play starting next week and hoping for some closer games between teams 2-6. IMO Argyle won't be challenged and Ranchview won't challange anybody.

My predictions for last week of 7-4A D1 non-district. Except Paris who did the somewhat odd move of scheduling Wylie East on 10/28.

Argyle at LaVega  -Argyle by 22              38-16

Midlo Heritage at Melissa -Melissa by 2  29-27

N. Lamar at Anna  -Anna by 32                44-12

Aubrey at Terrell  -Aubrey by 9                41-32

Alvarado at Kaufman  -Kaufman by 15    36-21