GILMER AT CARTHAGE

Sportsguru02

GILMER AT CARTHAGE  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

16 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Gilmer would love to be the team that ends Carthage 32 game win streak.

Carthage really needs to get the run game going in this one to be able to help shorten the game and help out the D. Carthage can definitely get some stops but you can’t expect the Carthage D to completely shut down Gilmer’s offense. 

Yeah, on paper, it doesn't seem like there's any way to completely stop Gilmer's offense. Just so much explosiveness all over the field. The key will be in the trenches. If Carthage finds a way to get pressure on Tennison with just their front four, then it's going to be a long night for the Buckeyes, and I doubt they'll get to 20 points.

BUT ... if the Buckeyes offensive line can give Tennison time, then he's got the receivers to make plays downfield. And if not, he's got the wheels to stretch the defense with his legs. That being said, the Dawgs have guys on defense that can run Tennison down. But, if the Buckeye front can allow Tennison to sit in the pocket and find his guys, it's going to force Carthage to bring more people into the box, which will in turn open up some more holes to find an open receiver.

It's hard to picture many teams having much success on the ground against Carthage, but if Gilmer is somehow able to get their ground game going against the Dawgs, then I think they've got as good a shot as anyone will have all year in knocking off Carthage.

On the flip side of things, I think the key for Carthage (and some have already said this) will be establishing the running game. The Dawgs, when healthy, have an advantage over Gilmer in the trenches, and they need to be able to flex that this week. I've been fairly impressed with the Buckeyes front and their LBs so far, but I'd say they have not gone up against an o-line quite like Carthage yet.

Gilmer will need to "win" first down more times than they lose it, and keep the Dawgs behind the chains. If they can do that, and keep Carthage in passing situations, I do think the Buckeyes have the athletes in the secondary to make things a touch difficult for the Dawgs.

One other key is Gilmer will have to make sure they don't fold in those really tight moments where Surratt usually makes hay. If they can rise up and match Carthage in those key moments, on those key fourth downs where Surratt keeps the offense on the field, the Buckeyes will be right there with a real chance at the end.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

On the flip side of things, I think the key for Carthage (and some have already said this) will be establishing the running game. The Dawgs, when healthy, have an advantage over Gilmer in the trenches, and they need to be able to flex that this week. I've been fairly impressed with the Buckeyes front and their LBs so far, but I'd say they have not gone up against an o-line quite like Carthage yet.

Gilmer will need to "win" first down more times than they lose it, and keep the Dawgs behind the chains. If they can do that, and keep Carthage in passing situations, I do think the Buckeyes have the athletes in the secondary to make things a touch difficult for the Dawgs.

One other key is Gilmer will have to make sure they don't fold in those really tight moments where Surratt usually makes hay. If they can rise up and match Carthage in those key moments, on those key fourth downs where Surratt keeps the offense on the field, the Buckeyes will be right there with a real chance at the end.

They’ve faced a line like Carthage and that’s the last two yrs of Carthage line. So I don’t think this line is nothing like they haven’t seen. 

4 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

They’ve faced a line like Carthage and that’s the last two yrs of Carthage line. So I don’t think this line is nothing like they haven’t seen. 

I understand what you're saying, but I meant THIS Gilmer team THIS year has not faced an opposing offensive line as good as what THIS Carthage team will be on Friday.

This is a much different offense from Carthage than what it was a year ago. I'm not going to say it's worse than last year's, because I feel like the jury is still out. I don't think the Dawgs will be as good, offensively, as they were a year ago, but they may not need to be. And Horton/Courtney were just different, man. Just absolutely different. And I'm not taking away from anybody Carthage has this year, but they don't have a Horton or a Courtney.

They're still pretty dang good, though. But I think Gilmer's defense has improved enough to attack the Dawgs in ways they simply couldn't a year ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

Carthage at home with an extra week to get ready....folks let’s not act crazy. 35-14 final 

Looking back on MaxPreps at Carthage following a bye week, Surratt is 11-3 following a bye. Win percentage of 0.785% which is just a little under his overall win percentage of 0.865% (obviously with a much smaller sample size). So obviously giving a great coach like Surratt extra time to prepare for a game is gonna help, but it doesn’t mean it’s automatic.

BTW, some Kilgore superfan has gone on MaxPreps and changed every game Kilgore and Carthage have played to a Kilgore win. So now basically the only thing you could rely on MaxPreps for is not even accurate. This must’ve been done pretty recent because I look back at previous years schedule quite a bit and haven’t seen it before today. For the fan that did that (which I’m sure they look at SDC), way to go. You really accomplished something by doing that!

1 minute ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Looking back on MaxPreps at Carthage following a bye week, Surratt is 11-3 following a bye. Win percentage of 0.785% which is just a little under his overall win percentage of 0.865% (obviously with a much smaller sample size). So obviously giving a great coach like Surratt extra time to prepare for a game is gonna help, it doesn’t mean it’s automatic.

BTW, some Kilgore superfan has gone on MaxPreps and changed every game Kilgore and Carthage have played to a Kilgore win. So now basically the only thing you could rely on MaxPreps for is not even accurate. This must’ve been don pretty recent because I look back at previous years schedule quite a bit and haven’t seen it before today. For the fan that did that (which I’m sure the look at SDC), way to go. You really accomplished something by doing that!

No Doubt a Dominion operative...😂