#7 Texas A&M vs #16 Arkansas

Stoney

Aggies versus Razorbacks   

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Texas A&M
    • Arkansas
  2. 2. Rushing yards gained by the Razorbacks?

• 100 or less
    • 150 or less
    • 200 or less
    • 201+ or more
  3. 3. Margin of victory

• Arkansas by 1-9
    • Arkansas by 10+
    • Texas A&M by 1-9
    • Texas A&M by 10+

I'm SOOO glad Arkansas beat Texas and is ranked for this game. I'm not going to lie I've chalked this as a win for so long now that I forgot how fun it could be when arkansas has a pulse. I know the games are always close but the build up to the game isn't as fun when everyone thinks A&M is a 2td+ favorite. 

A&M comes to play defensively and flexes on the piggies. 21-12 Ags. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

If the A&M OL doesn’t play better they will lose this one. 

I think they will. There's been some banged up pieces last week that will likely be back. Jimbo recognizes the importance of winning this one and I dont expect anyone to sit for caution like we have seen the last 3 weeks. 

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Hopefully, Kenyon is back at RT. A healthy Layden Robinson would be huge too. Who knows what we can get out of Luke Mathews. If the o-line can keep Calzada calm and upright, we should be in good shape. 

Foster is the center now. Luke Matthews is just a wasted scholly at this point. I think the guy has nfl potential but is made of glass and will never play a meaningful game here. 

27 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Foster is the center now. Luke Matthews is just a wasted scholly at this point. I think the guy has nfl potential but is made of glass and will never play a meaningful game here. 

D9BC8481-8263-402E-AE8D-DCD0C261E374.jpeg

You look at the depth chart and it’s interesting. Not counting Johnson because he’s a transfer, Kenyon is the only Junior or Senior making an impact as a starter or backup. There’s young talent coming up but it’s still young. Looking at the ‘18 class and it was a wash. Colten Blanton, Barton Clement, Tank Jenkins, Luke Mathews. ‘19 we hit on Kenyon and Layden, missed on Trainor. 

32 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I don’t know. I’ve felt like Arkansas was due one. Especially with how close some of these games have been. I just hope it isn’t this weekend.

The problem with this matchup is the times when A&M was at its most vulnerable arkansas was awful as well. Arkansas is improving but A&M is as well. 

I think this will be the typical game between the two but A&M has learned how to win these close ones under Fisher. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LOL said:

I think this is gonna be close early on, with A&M's rushing game eventually pulling them away.

Aggies over Piggies by 13.

Man you're more optimistic than I am. But that is a good point. 

The A&M OL has struggled...... in pass pro. They can still run the ball well, just not as well as last year. The problem is that Jimbo hasn't even tried to establish the run like he did last year. In game 1 he was trying to force Haynes to make good reads and throws before leaning on the run game in the 4th quarter. Then did the same thing in game 3 against UNM. Game 2 was just the same- forcing Calzada to get into game speed which was tough since he came off the bench and you could tell he had no intention of playing that day. 

We'll see how Jimbo calls Saturday. It'll be the first conference game and the first serious, must-win game of the season. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The problem is that Jimbo hasn't even tried to establish the run like he did last year. In game 1 he was trying to force Haynes to make good reads and throws before leaning on the run game in the 4th quarter. Then did the same thing in game 3 against UNM. Game 2 was just the same- forcing Calzada to get into game speed which was tough since he came off the bench and you could tell he had no intention of playing that day. 

Yeah, I really feel like Jimbo's been trying to "handicap" himself early on this season...  

Okay...  tinfoil hat time:  :tinfoil:

I've just got this weird feeling like Jimbo feels like he brought Kellen Mond along too slowly, and thus stunted his development somewhat. It's like he's throwing these young QBs out there and acting like A&M can't rely on its running game and that they have to pass the ball downfield. I think he's trusting his defense to keep games close, but forcing his QBs to grow up quickly under the pressure of being The Man from day one. 

Of course, this tactic really works when you've got a QB like Haynes (who already went through something somewhat like this on the high school level), but I don't think Calzada came up in the quite same level of pressure in Georgia. Oh sure, he was probably an important cog in a big powerful machine, and groomed gradually against inferior competition. 

That said: now that the non-conference schedule is over and the games "just mean more," I expect Jimbo to adjust his tactics accordingly. I expect more of a conventional Jimbo Fisher attack of mixing inside power running with counters off the perimeter and even a jet sweep or two. Oh, he'll still have the passing game to keep the defense honest, but it won't be quite the same anomalous downfield throwing we've seen thus far. 

With this approach, I think A&M wears down Arkansas down the stretch. In fact, I believe Texas could've won as well, had they tried this approach...   

...but that, is another thread.  ;) 

I can’t remember the last time I’ve said this, but the defense will keep this game close. What will the offense look like? Pound the rock with some shots down the field with Calzada? Try to have a balanced approach? It’ll be fun to see.

I think I gotta go with Arkansas on this one. I can certainly see A&M winning this, but the Hogs are hot and have A LOT of confidence. They steamrolled Georgia So. and while its Georgia So., that would be a game Arkie would normally struggle with, especially after coming off a huge win against Texas. KJ Jefferson looked more confident and their run game is strong. Defensively they have improved and are pretty solid for the most part. I don't think Arkie is anything spectacular, but I would not be surprised if they jumped on A&M early. I still don't know how Calzada will fair in a big game environment. Last week was an improvement from the CU game, but for me it's not enough to feel confident in picking the Aggies right now.

Needless to say, I'll be at this game and I'm really pumped for it. Should be fun to watch!

49 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I think I gotta go with Arkansas on this one. I can certainly see A&M winning this, but the Hogs are hot and have A LOT of confidence. They steamrolled Georgia So. and while its Georgia So., that would be a game Arkie would normally struggle with, especially after coming off a huge win against Texas. KJ Jefferson looked more confident and their run game is strong. Defensively they have improved and are pretty solid for the most part. I don't think Arkie is anything spectacular, but I would not be surprised if they jumped on A&M early. I still don't know how Calzada will fair in a big game environment. Last week was an improvement from the CU game, but for me it's not enough to feel confident in picking the Aggies right now.

Needless to say, I'll be at this game and I'm really pumped for it. Should be fun to watch!

I think that its going to be a very good environment compared to normal. I expect it to be a good game as well. 

This one just feels like a flex game to me. Its one of those games where we are all expecting a good game and then one team comes out and owns the LOS and its a 17 point game late... 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I think that its going to be a very good environment compared to normal. I expect it to be a good game as well. 

This one just feels like a flex game to me. Its one of those games where we are all expecting a good game and then one team comes out and owns the LOS and its a 17 point game late... 

It could very well go that way. This is the first year I can confidently say that I'm not 100% confident in who wins (if that makes sense?🤔) lol.

It's always a great game, but I always expected A&M to win. They've just been better the past 10 years. But I'm genuinely intrigued by Arkansas. They don't look completely incompetent like they have the past few years. Match that with a good A&M team and I expect another thriller.

• Like 2