Melissa at Paris

CrankyOldMan

Melissa picked up a big win last week over a good Midlothian Heritage team. You could see some of the talent the Cardinals have finally pair up with some growth and maturity. I would absolutely not count the Cardinals out of anything just yet, ESPECIALLY if they can win this game on Friday.

In terms of this matchup, Paris certainly played Celina better, although the outcome was similar in both games. After a close game at first, the Bobcats finally pulled away and dominated the later halves of both games. The Celina/Paris score was closer than the game actually was. And I felt similarly about the Celina/Melissa score. That one could have been a bit worse too.

Melissa does have a really stout defensive line, and they'll be up against it this week. The Cardinals will have a size advantage, but I'm telling you, the Paris offensive line is impressive. Those guys aren't the biggest, but they're strong, play pretty disciplined, and they are athletic. Very quick, which bodes well with their offensive scheme. The Wildcats have a couple of explosive ball carriers too that can take it to the house on any given play, especially if they get into that second level of defenders. I suspect they'll break 1 or 2 long TD runs this week. And I continue to be impressed with Hohenberger. He played his heart about against the Bobcats. Paris really focused on throwing the football against Celina, and it paid dividends at times. Hohenberger doesn't have blazing speed, but he's so big and strong that he can extend plays and drives with his legs, so if Melissa wants to win, they'll need to find ways to keep him bottled up in the backfield.

The Cardinals defensive line will need to be very disciplined this week. They'll need to control the gaps, and the ends will HAVE to set the edge, otherwise, Paris's speed will dismantle the Melissa defense. If the d-line can keep the LBs free, I think Melissa's dudes are good enough to slow down the Wildcats. But again, do not underestimate this Paris offensive line. They are good.

Offensively, I think Paris's speed will create some problems for Melissa. Celina just lived in the Cardinals backfield, and Paris has a good enough front to do the same thing. If Melissa can't find ways to buy Fennegan time, it's going to be a long night. If the offensive line holds up, though, I still think Fennegan has the weapons around him to make you pay.

I think this is a very underrated game this week, but I'm excited about it. I look for it to be back and forth for most of the game. Hard to make a pick, but right now, I'm thinking Paris pulls this one out late, something in the neighborhood of 34-27.

This is a "good watch" kind of game.....two opposing and imposing totally different types of offenses.  Both teams have athletes and speed all over the field.  Both teams play a different scheme on defense also.  Paris will be a bit more physical both offensively and defensively while Melissa will try to beat you technically at the point of attack.  Both teams are loaded with very good football players.......Paris and Melissa definitely know how to play football, for sure.  This is a very good watch in Class 4A-D1 if you love opposing matchups, folks.  Hohenberger leads a ground attack for Paris in that Wing-T that is pure and deftly performed with excellence. It's so difficult to stop defensively......similar to Liberty Hill's with Coach Hohenberger allowing senior QB Hohenberger more free reign this season to pass or keep it. Of course Sam Fennegan of Melissa is all about passing the ball to a plethora of very athletic receivers in his senior season also.  Melissa IS loaded with athletes, for sure.......can Paris keep Melissa's scoring down a bit with ball control and quality defense to win this game???  I'm leaning toward Melissa......they have so much they can go with and just keep coming at you. Both teams can score on big plays and in one play.  Melissa may have the speed to run down some of the speedy Paris backs......or they may not be able to once the RB breaks into the open.  This will be a very interesting game, folks.

BTW.......I think it matters quite a bit that this is a home game in Paris.  I'm pretty certain this part of the equation definitely favors Paris.  If this game was played in Melissa then it would be very tough for Paris to come away with a win, IMHO.  Paris has already proven they can win on the road against quality teams, and so has Melissa.......but I think the home field advantage really matters when these two teams face each other.  

Melissa played a very good Midlothian Heritage team last week and really looked sharp offensively and very impressive defensively.  That was a game they needed at this point in the season.  Paris took their Bye Week last week......so they will have had two weeks to focus on how to defend Melissa and execute their offense while getting healthy for this game.......another interesting factor to consider.  Now Paris has the video Livestream of last week's Heritage game vs Melissa to study to further prepare for Melissa this week.

On 9/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, regaleagle said:

Melissa played a very good Midlothian Heritage team last week and really looked sharp offensively and very impressive defensively.  That was a game they needed at this point in the season.  Paris took their Bye Week last week......so they will have had two weeks to focus on how to defend Melissa and execute their offense while getting healthy for this game.......another interesting factor to consider.

Edited by CrankyOldMan

2 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

Argyle is also getting a week off before Melissa.  Not that they need it but certainly is not favorable from Melissa‘s standpoint even though that game will be in Melissa.  

Yes, most definitely the Bye Week this week fell perfectly for Argyle after such a competitive schedule to start this season with a "newbie" QB leading the offense.  This will give Argyle the time and rest the team needs to focus more on the offensive side of the ball for that long run the rest of the season.  IMO, the Bye Week this week for Argyle could not have happened at a better time for them.  Melissa will definitely have their two most difficult opponents in District 7 to meet back to back.  I guess they would rather play Argyle at home than Paris at home......given the choice and the circumstances.

2 hours ago, Footballalltheway said:

Big game to see who finishes 2nd in D7.  Who you got?  Looks like Melissa is kinda figuring it out but it’s a home game for Paris.  Common opponent is Celina and Paris played them better on the road then Melissa did at home though.  Melissa’s D-line is stout but Paris will have the speed to get to the edges.  Overall best defense wins this one so I gonna say Paris in a tight one.  

This is definitely a huge game in the District 7 opener for both teams, but not necessarily "to see who finishes 2nd" in D7.  Kaufman and Anna are both (4-0) and undefeated, and Terrell(3-1) lost a very tight game last week to a very talented and highly ranked Aubrey team in Celina's district......just sayin'.  So this District 7-4A D-1 has 6 teams good enough to win in any week against each other.  I would admit that Argyle, Melissa, and Paris are favored over Kaufman, Anna, and Terrell......but the quality of all of these teams is present for any team to win against the other this season.

The last 3 times these teams have met since 2018 have all been incredibly exciting games.

18- Paris won 28-25

19- Mel won 54-46

20 playoffs- Paris won 54-49

I think think big thing to watch for tonight is the Melisaa run D. They appear to be much improved over past few years having only allowed a total of 310 yards rushing in 4 games against a strong schedule. In the recent past Melissa has allowed close to that amount of rushing yards in a half! Holding Celina and Midlo Heritage to each under 150 yards rushing is impressive. Don't think the Cards will shut down Paris wing-T but if they can limit them and force them into passing sutuations will Paris be able to throw the ball with success? Melissa's DBs seem to be their only big weakness so...

A couple other notes- I left the JV game last night with 1 min left in 3rd quarter and Melissa up 32-0. I was told coming into game Cards JV was 1-3 but looked great against Paris, who only had 22 players dressed to Melissa's 40+.

I also understand I former Paris player from last years team OL #57 Chandler Sykes tragically passed away earlier this week at age 18. This hurts my heart. Gone waaaay too soon, RIP Chandler

The one thing I will be watching the most when Melissa has the ball is how quickly QB Sam Fennegan will be able to deliver those throws to his receivers......and whether they can get open fast enough.  Paris has a way of keeping the edges sealed on D, and that will keep Fennegan bottled up inside the tackles more than he would like to be.  IF the secondary for Paris can at least cover and contain some of those receivers and speedy RB's out of the backfield, then I think Paris may be able to cause a turnover or two, and to get some stops to keep Melissa from scoring so much.  The   Wildcats offense is a ball control type and can definitely shorten a game while still being able to put up 4 or 5 TD's in a game.

1 minute ago, Texski said:

The last 3 times these teams have met since 2018 have all been incredibly exciting games.

18- Paris won 28-25

19- Mel won 54-46

20 playoffs- Paris won 54-49

I think think big thing to watch for tonight is the Melisaa run D. They appear to be much improved over past few years having only allowed a total of 310 yards rushing in 4 games against a strong schedule. In the recent past Melissa has allowed close to that amount of rushing yards in a half! Holding Celina and Midlo Heritage to each under 150 yards rushing is impressive. Don't think the Cards will shut down Paris wing-T but if they can limit them and force them into passing sutuations will Paris be able to throw the ball with success? Melissa's DBs seem to be their only big weakness so...

A couple other notes- I left the JV game last night with 1 min left in 3rd quarter and Melissa up 32-0. I was told coming into game Cards JV was 1-3 but looked great against Paris, who only had 22 players dressed to Melissa's 40+.

I also understand I former Paris player from last years team OL #57 Chandler Sykes tragically passed away earlier this week at age 18. This hurts my heart. Gone waaaay too soon, RIP .

Chandler Sykes #57 OL for Paris last season was a team leader and was killed on Wednesday in Abilene during a multiple car/pickup traffic mishap. Paris has asked all fans from both teams to wear white tonight in memory of him and to dedicate this game to Chandler and his family.  From what I understand, Chandler was highly respected by all in Paris and a very good football player.

Paris is a very close-knit community and very supportive of their kids.  The Paris football team has already displayed resiliency last season when all the chips were against them.  They may be able to rise above this tragedy and play their best game of the season so far.......I would not be surprised if that happened.  Paris is dedicating this game to Chandler and the Sykes family......which means tons to that team.  I expect the fans will all come out in huge support tonight from both schools and fanbases to Wildcat Stadium in Paris......this might be a really big happening tonight.  It's already billed as one of the top games in 4A-D1 tonight statewide.

Does anyone want to change their pick in this game to Paris now......besides me???   It will be very tough to stop Fennegan and that Melissa offensive attack, but Paris might just be able to do it playing this big game at home in front of all of their fans and because of these special circumstances that happened earlier this week.

Paris doesn’t have live video streaming this year so unless Melissa takes its video equipment on the road (I believe they only video home games), there will be no video tonight.

I don’t know how, or if, Chandler’s death factors into tonight’s game.  Cats have to keep their emotions in check, and that’s a tough thing to ask of teenagers.  To me, this is a matchup between Paris’ speed and Melissa’s height advantage by the Cardinals’ skill positions.  Turnovers, field position, and big plays are the key.

And yes, this is the best Paris O-line I’ve seen in years — perfect fit for that offense.

After watching and listening to this week's Cardinals Scoreboard Show, host and Cardinals broadcaster Trey Graham stated that there will be a Youtube Livestream by MCN(Melissa Cardinal Network) of tonight's game.  You can go to Youtube and enter Melissa ISD into the search area and then the livestream of this game should come up on the screen.  The pregame show starts at 7 pm and kickoff will be somewhere around 7:30 pm, pending any special acknowledgements toward Chandler Sykes and Family.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 11:17 AM, Footballalltheway said:

Big game to see who finishes 2nd in D7.  Who you got?  Looks like Melissa is kinda figuring it out but it’s a home game for Paris.  Common opponent is Celina and Paris played them better on the road then Melissa did at home though.  Melissa’s D-line is stout but Paris will have the speed to get to the edges.  Overall best defense wins this one so I gonna say Paris in a tight one.  

Celina  had a lot of starters out against Paris  though so who knows

I'm in great anticipation to see these teams matchup against each other tonight in Paris.  I just hope that Livestream goes forward without any hitches or hiccups.  This is the halfway point in the regular season, but really only the very start of seeing how top-quality teams will look going forward to the end of district play.  Tonight we should see The Real Deal all over Texas in high school football as teams should be gearing up for their very best performances of the season.  

I think many see this as another 50-40 point by each team type game..I'm thinking will be lower, something like 26-24, maybe 30-28. I'd be shocked if either team wins by more than 12. Both Ds look overall better than they were last year and Melissa O seems a little less dynamic this year, although I was surprised to see that Melissa has the #1 passer and #1 rusher in 4A and below schools in the DFW coverage area.

I will be there tonight and looking for a close intense game in perfect football weather.

25 minutes ago, Texski said:

:football:I think many see this as another 50-40 point by each team type game..I'm thinking will be lower, something like 26-24, maybe 30-28. I'd be shocked if either team wins by more than 12. Both Ds look overall better than they were last year and Melissa O seems a little less dynamic this year, although I was surprised to see that Melissa has the #1 passer and #1 rusher in 4A and below schools in the DFW coverage area.

I will be there tonight and looking for a close intense game in perfect football weather.

:thumbsup: :football: :D🎥 💻  And just past a full moon......should be a classic!