Another Tragic Death Due to Covid Misinformation

BarryLaverty

I had my doubts that our country could get any more misguided and mentally off, until Covid started to kill people, and people started spreading rumors and lies. 

Washington Post

Family urges others to get vaccinated after bride-to-be dies of covid: 'Misinformation killed her'

Jessica Lipscomb

After dating for more than 10 years, Samantha Wendell and her fiance, Austin Eskew, were ready to settle down and have kids.

Following their engagement in 2019, the couple set a wedding date for Aug. 21, 2021, at a church in Lisle, Ill., where Wendell's parents had married years earlier. They planned to start a family soon after.

Subscribe to The Post Most newsletter for the most important and interesting stories from The Washington Post.

Wendell was eager to have children, so when she heard false claims that the coronavirus vaccine could affect her fertility, she decided to hold off on getting immunized, her family members told NBC News. But over the summer, Wendell, a surgical technician in Grand Rivers, Ky., changed her mind and scheduled a vaccine appointment for the end of July. It was too late - days before the appointment, she and Eskew tested positive for the virus.

After a long hospitalization, during which she was placed on a ventilator, Wendell died Sept. 10. She was 29.

"Misinformation killed her," Maria Vibandor Hayes, Wendell's cousin, wrote in a Facebook post the next day.

Scroll back up to restore default view.

Wendell and Eskew met in 2010 at their college orientation at Olivet Nazarene University, a private Christian school in Illinois. They started dating that September, according to their wedding website.

After getting engaged, the two set about planning their wedding and a honeymoon in Mexico. Over the summer, loved ones threw a bridal shower for Wendell, and in July, she and her friends traveled to Nashville for a bachelorette party.

Wendell and Eskew were supposed to get vaccinated later that month, but days before, she began feeling ill. She could not stop coughing, Eskew told NBC News. About a week after her symptoms started, she went to the hospital for treatment.

As the wedding date approached, it became clearer that Wendell would not be able to make it down the aisle. Five days before the planned ceremony, doctors placed her on a ventilator. Relatives told their social media followers about the grim realities of her covid hospitalization.

"Please consider getting vaccinated for I would never want any family or friends to endure what is happening to my niece right now and to her family and friends," Wendell's aunt Denise Picicci posted on Facebook. "No one can visit, no one to hold her hand and talk to her and give her encouragement to fight this."

Wendell never regained the ability to breathe on her own, NBC News reported, and on Sept. 10, her family made the difficult choice to take her off life support.

On Saturday, her funeral was held at Trinity Lutheran Church, where she and Eskew planned to marry.

Eskew told NBC News that his fiancee had "just kind of panicked" about the unproven claims that the coronavirus vaccine could affect her ability to have children.

Misinformation tying the vaccine to infertility has proliferated on social media, and to date, only 25 percent of pregnant Americans have received at least one shot, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But CDC officials say there is no evidence showing that the coronavirus vaccine causes fertility problems - the agency recommends that those who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant get vaccinated.

Wendell's relatives say they hope her death will encourage others who are hesitant about the vaccine to get immunized. Several people have already done so, Wendell's mother, Jeaneen Wendell, wrote in a Facebook comment.

"I can't tell you how many people told me they got vaccinated because they heard about Samantha. Her life meant something," she wrote last week. "Even if it was just a few who got vaccinated that means something."

For once you are right...misinformation DID kill her...the meds she received in the hospital that are supposed to cure her...killed her. If she had been treated with the correct drugs she would never have gotten this sick. 

"After a long hospitalization, during which she was placed on a ventilator, Wendell died Sept. 10. She was 29.

"Misinformation killed her," Maria Vibandor Hayes, Wendell's cousin, wrote in a Facebook post the next day."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

People are so irrational about all of this, until it hits close to home, but by then, it has shown to be too late, tragically over and over again. 

Were the unmasked at the Met Gala and the Emmys irrational? "Oh, they followed protocols". So? Doesn't current guidance still say to wear a mask indoors within a large group?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Were the unmasked at the Met Gala and the Emmys irrational? "Oh, they followed protocols". So? Doesn't current guidance still say to wear a mask indoors within a large group?

I absolutely think they were irresponsable, but I also believe that they were vaccinated. That's the missing component for too many. And, why are you taking that tack, as you are vaccinated? Just couldn't help your reflex? 

3 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Won't change my views one bit......

I agree.  I've heard of the side effects, and it's not worth it.  I don't want a rash covering the side of my body, cardiac issues, possible paralysis, and even death.  I have O- blood which also decreases my risks.  Type O Blood Linked to Lower Rates of COVID-19 (verywellhealth.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

I absolutely think they were irresponsable, but I also believe that they were vaccinated. That's the missing component for too many. And, why are you taking that tack, as you are vaccinated? Just couldn't help your reflex? 

You admitted they were vaccinated, but at the same time said they were irresponsible. Don't you think it's a little bit of a mixed message when we have folks telling even those of us who are vaccinated to mask up in groups, whereas a bunch of celebrities, at a televised event aren't? Where's Biden's condemnation of them? I'm sure it's coming any day now.

48 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

You admitted they were vaccinated, but at the same time said they were irresponsible. Don't you think it's a little bit of a mixed message when we have folks telling even those of us who are vaccinated to mask up in groups, whereas a bunch of celebrities, at a televised event aren't? Where's Biden's condemnation of them? I'm sure it's coming any day now.

Maybe some jackass will tweet about it. 

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

When it is time your number is up. You can’t prevent this. Masks are basically useless. The vaccines are not 100% and we have no idea of long term consequences.

Thank you for telling me you’re uneducated without telling me you’re uneducated. 

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Show the data where this exists. Surely you’re not talking about preventing your demise. Even you aren’t that stupid. In order for masks to actually work you need the appropriate masks which no one is remotely using. Please refrain  from the ridiculous yahoo/cnn or fake CDC articles .

I actually posted a thread on here just the other day about the efficacy of masks. I think the guy is a legit doctor (although I'll have to have Barry or someone in the MSM tell me if he is just to make sure). The guy pointed to a pre-print (not yet peer reviewed) study showing that cloth masks had little efficacy, and the only ones that really did were surgical masks or N95's. Let me see if I can find it...

Here:

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I agree.  I've heard of the side effects, and it's not worth it.  I don't want a rash covering the side of my body, cardiac issues, possible paralysis, and even death.  I have O- blood which also decreases my risks.  Type O Blood Linked to Lower Rates of COVID-19 (verywellhealth.com)

The blood type theory has been proven incorrect as well.  There have been several studies prove that blood type doesn’t matter.  

12 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Evidence????

Evidence??  Lol..  you wouldn’t believe it anyway….

Eastern India drs.  Same ones that have proven it takes 1500mg of ivermectin to smother Covid 19 in a test tube.  

you do know that google is a search engine, right?!  I’m digging you some info.  It might not be from wnd.com though so I doubt you’ll trust it.  The blood type rumor came out 10 months to a year ago so I see colmesneil gets their “news” a little late…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X01g3Gyq-_A

20 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Evidence??  Lol..  you wouldn’t believe it anyway….

Eastern India drs.  Same ones that have proven it takes 1500mg of ivermectin to smother Covid 19 in a test tube.  

you do know that google is a search engine, right?!  I’m digging you some info.  It might not be from wnd.com though so I doubt you’ll trust it.  The blood type rumor came out 10 months to a year ago so I see colmesneil gets their “news” a little late…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X01g3Gyq-_A

Google is a communist owned site and cannot be trusted to take anyone to the correct information on things that have political overtones.....The people in Colmesneil don't believe information from sources that have been proven to have lied in the past........

4 hours ago, PepeSilvia said:

Thank you for telling me you’re uneducated without telling me you’re uneducated. 

Ah yes, Pepe and his rope a dope style of debating. Call someone uneducated without providing any evidence to back anything up. Straight out of the liberal jerkoff handbook

8 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Google is a communist owned site and cannot be trusted to take anyone to the correct information on things that have political overtones.....The people in Colmesneil don't believe information from sources that have been proven to have lied in the past........

You can type what you want to find.  You can find what you want.  The correct info is out there.  You have to sort through it.  Do you still believe being type O keeps you from getting Covid? Studies from 4 months ago have shown it doesn’t show and link between the two.  

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

You can type what you want to find.  You can find what you want.  The correct info is out there.  You have to sort through it.  Do you still believe being type O keeps you from getting Covid? Studies from 4 months ago have shown it doesn’t show and link between the two.  

I don't have type 0, so it's irrelevant......:sleep:

1 hour ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

How about DuckDuckGo?