Gunter 6-0 vs Leonard 4-1

wingtveer

Yep kinda like Carthage. Lol. The good thing is a lot of kids are getting valuable playing time. I’m ready for the playoffs but don’t want to wish away the regular season. You wait so long for it to get here and it seems to evaporate quickly. 

• Like 1

Running the numbers for all games, and I get something similar to Bells.  Actually a bit closer.  42-15, 42-20.  Still unreliable I think.  When I run only district games (tiny sample size), I get a Gunter runaway.  I tend to lean toward the runaway even though it's a small sample.  I think Gunter wins handily if they protect the ball.

Gunter wins 55-12, but at a cost.  One of our best defensive players went down with a bad leg injury early in the second half.  Play was stopped for 20-30 minutes while they stabilized the leg and he was carted off on a stretcher.  I've heard nothing on what it actually was, but players were frantically waving toward the sideline immediately, so I assume it looked pretty bad.  It had the feel of something like a broken leg - but this is pure speculation.  Big play-maker on defense.  Someone has big shoes to fill.

4 hours ago, Pax said:

Gunter wins 55-12, but at a cost.  One of our best defensive players went down with a bad leg injury early in the second half.  Play was stopped for 20-30 minutes while they stabilized the leg and he was carted off on a stretcher.  I've heard nothing on what it actually was, but players were frantically waving toward the sideline immediately, so I assume it looked pretty bad.  It had the feel of something like a broken leg - but this is pure speculation.  Big play-maker on defense.  Someone has big shoes to fill.

Prayers for him. He is a very good player. Hope he can heal in time to salvage some of this season. Someone will step up , fill in , and do a great job. We will have to wait and see. 

12 hours ago, Pax said:

reports from this morning are that he broke his tibia and fibula, out for the rest of the season. 

On 10/8/2021 at 11:23 PM, Pax said:

This is the problem with juggernaut programs, such as Gunter. Regular season games, especially district games, are over by half. Before half sometimes. Smart thing to do would be sit all your starters for the second half. But if a coach does that and doesn’t give the starters at least 3 quarters of play, it’ll show up 3-4 rounds deep when you play other quality programs. Hate it for the young man. Just an impossible position for a coach to have to be in really. 

1 hour ago, BarryGoldwater said:

This is the problem with juggernaut programs, such as Gunter. Regular season games, especially district games, are over by half. Before half sometimes. Smart thing to do would be sit all your starters for the second half. But if a coach does that and doesn’t give the starters at least 3 quarters of play, it’ll show up 3-4 rounds deep when you play other quality programs. Hate it for the young man. Just an impossible position for a coach to have to be in really. 

The refugio effect….saw a documentary about his views on keeping starters in to avoid a lapse late when playoffs arrive. He keeps #1’s in for 4 qtrs and scores 70-80 at times. 
Gunter has good varsity players from all grade levels because coach Fieszel gets them playing time. They play a lot and really contribute, especially come playoff time.  His system is working great. If someone beats them in the playoffs it’s usually a very good team and a late round game. TPW!!

19 hours ago, BarryGoldwater said:

I'm on the fence with this one.  This concept is really easy to subscribe to when a starter gets injured.  The fact is, that could have happened at any point in the game.  It was a freak play.  Also, I don't really buy into the idea that teams that sit their starters for the entire second half are not prepared for a tight game in the playoffs - for a couple reasons.  One - the most obvious argument would be that they aren't used to playing 4 quarters and therefore are tired in games where they have to play an entire game.  I don't buy it - at all.  These kids aren't getting in shape on Friday nights; they are getting in shape in the off-season, in practice, on a day-to-day basis.  If they needed to go 4 quarters, the teams that have worked their rears off to get in shape in practice will be the ones ready to go in the 4th quarter.  Playing two more quarters of football - once a week - isn't getting you in any more shape, and if that's what you're relying on, the teams that busted their at practice week in and week out will be in far better shape than you.

Second - You can go back any number of years, and the teams that make it 3, 4, 5 rounds deep in the playoffs are almost always playing in games that are over by halftime during the regular season/district play with few exceptions.  Of course there is something to be said about having experience in tight games that go down to the wire, but generally speaking, the teams that make it to the dance - final 8, final 4 - aren't dealing with that at all on a week-to-week basis.

I totally understand your argument though - and it's a popular one.  I for one have absolutely no problem with our coach's decision to keep some starters in.  At the end of the day, they are playing a game.  The run that Gunter has been on has been incredible - very few programs have matched what they have been able to do, but at the end of the day, these are kids playing a game - and some of these kids won't ever put pads on again in their life when this run ends.  That - to me - is far more important than depriving a young kid of playing time.  That's just my opinion.

33 minutes ago, Pax said:

I'm on the fence with this one.  This concept is really easy to subscribe to when a starter gets injured.  The fact is, that could have happened at any point in the game.  It was a freak play.  Also, I don't really buy into the idea that teams that sit their starters for the entire second half are not prepared for a tight game in the playoffs - for a couple reasons.  One - the most obvious argument would be that they aren't used to playing 4 quarters and therefore are tired in games where they have to play an entire game.  I don't buy it - at all.  These kids aren't getting in shape on Friday nights; they are getting in shape in the off-season, in practice, on a day-to-day basis.  If they needed to go 4 quarters, the teams that have worked their rears off to get in shape in practice will be the ones ready to go in the 4th quarter.  Playing two more quarters of football - once a week - isn't getting you in any more shape, and if that's what you're relying on, the teams that busted their at practice week in and week out will be in far better shape than you.

Second - You can go back any number of years, and the teams that make it 3, 4, 5 rounds deep in the playoffs are almost always playing in games that are over by halftime during the regular season/district play with few exceptions.  Of course there is something to be said about having experience in tight games that go down to the wire, but generally speaking, the teams that make it to the dance - final 8, final 4 - aren't dealing with that at all on a week-to-week basis.

I totally understand your argument though - and it's a popular one.  I for one have absolutely no problem with our coach's decision to keep some starters in.  At the end of the day, they are playing a game.  The run that Gunter has been on has been incredible - very few programs have matched what they have been able to do, but at the end of the day, these are kids playing a game - and some of these kids won't ever put pads on again in their life when this run ends.  That - to me - is far more important than depriving a young kid of playing time.  That's just my opinion.

I agree. That’s why I said it’s a dubious position for a coach to be in. Especially in lower classifications. Gunter may be 3AD2 but their football participation is greater than a lot of 4A schools. Partly because they have an excellent program you eluded to. A prime example to me would be Newton. The 2019 squad was spectacular. Those final two games though were down to the wire. Conditioning had to have played some role. Their talent level was just on another level so they overcame that. Last year they were still a very talented bunch. When they played Pewitt lack of conditioning reared it’s ugly head before half on the defensive side. Their offense still scored at will, but the defense was just to winded to slow down the run though. I see the pros and cons of both. Gunter is definitely an elite program. 

• Like 1