Red River Shootout

Stoney

Red River Shootout  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Oklahoma
    • Texas
  2. 2. How many flags thrown for Horns down?

• More than 1
  3. 3. Higher number?

• Bijan carries total
    • Rattlers pass attempts

Alright, so this is not me being a sore loser. Texas is 2-4 in the games I've seen at the Cotton Bowl. It is what it is. These are some things that I want to point out, that were definite game changers.

1 - 12:22 to go in the 1st QTR. 3rd and 10, Rattler scrambles, chunks the ball downfield, receiver catches it on the sideline. While I did understand why they couldn't overturn it, because I'm almost sure that you can't review for illegal touching (maybe you can), but it was definitely illegal touching. I'm not sure how they didn't catch it, or even that they ruled the Texas DB pushed him out, because I've come back and watched it on TV rather than in person, and it's blatantly obvious he ran out of bounds. That would have made it 4th and 10, punt situation, Texas already up 14-0. 

2 - The muffed punt. I can see how that play could have gone either way. If the Texas defender hadn't been there, Stoops would have still ran into the returner. I don't really see how this could not have been Texas ball, because Stoops ran into him, not the other way around, and thus hit his own return man. 

3 - 14:36 to go in the 4th. Williams arm is hit as he's attempting to throw. Arm is going forward, hand is questionable. Not reviewed. If the DE hadn't been held, it would have been a sack at the very least. 

4- Let me clarify on this, because I do think that the Refs did a TERRIBLE job of watching for holding in this game. I am sitting here going through the video, and I can just make picture after picture after picture... but mostly in the 2nd half. The holding was an adjustment that OU made at halftime. They knew Texas was getting pressure. They knew it had been the problem when Rattler was in. The holding was an adjustment that OU made, and it just didn't get caught on to until it was too late. Props to OU for figuring out something that worked. If I could hold all game and not get called for it, I would to. OU wasn't penalized until 6 minutes were left in the 4th qtr. I was going to make a collage but it's everywhere, but I did grab a few just to prove a point.

Ultimately, I think Alex Grinch made great defensive adjustments, if only to stop Texas long enough for OU to get back in the game. I think this game would have been over a lot earlier had Texas gotten ANY of the calls early on, it would have gotten out of reach. It took Texas a little too long to plug something back in during the 2nd half and get going again. 

I think Texas will be okay. They will continue to improve. Nobody questioned the ability of Texas' offense after this game, or during it for that matter. Man is it nice to see a team that can move the ball, and isn't afraid to test you down field. 

Casey Thompson - He's that dude. Keep in mind, he's still getting his feet under him. 4 starts under his belt, and he's balling.

Bijan Robinson - Just wow. The kid is a human highlight real. He's even grabbing the attention of Reggie Bush.

Xavier Worthy - True freshman and is making MOVES. This kid is going to be special.

O-line - Played well for a large portion of the game. You can tell they're getting thin though. Denzel Okafor being out didn't help, and I noticed they lost a couple during the game, at different times. Not sure if any were long-term injuries.

D-line - Played excellent until OU made adjustments at the offensive line. In the first half, Texas was getting great pressure. 2nd half of course OU had made their changes (whatever you want to call it), and Texas 3 man wasn't getting there, but coverage was pretty good. A lot of OU's big gains were off of broken plays.

Secondary - For the most part I thought they played well. If the receivers are having to push off, or go up and make spectacular catches,  you have to be doing right. It just seemed that most 50/50 balls, OU came down with, and you can't make any bones about some of the great catches that were made.

OU - Rattler will transfer. There's no chance he goes back in. Though I don't think it was entirely Rattler's fault that everything went the way it did, I admire Williams or coming in and doing what he did. He absolutely balled out. Kid will be special, no doubt. 

OU.png

OU2.png

• Like 1

I believe that it was in the first half that OU threw a pass into the flat that fell incomplete and Foster picked it up and ran it into the endzone without much fanfare other than the ref calling it incomplete.  The pass at the time looked very close to being a lateral.  I have not gone back and looked for it in a replay so I may be wrong.  I do know that they did not show a replay during the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Alright, so this is not me being a sore loser. Texas is 2-4 in the games I've seen at the Cotton Bowl. It is what it is. These are some things that I want to point out, that were definite game changers.

1 - 12:22 to go in the 1st QTR. 3rd and 10, Rattler scrambles, chunks the ball downfield, receiver catches it on the sideline. While I did understand why they couldn't overturn it, because I'm almost sure that you can't review for illegal touching (maybe you can), but it was definitely illegal touching. I'm not sure how they didn't catch it, or even that they ruled the Texas DB pushed him out, because I've come back and watched it on TV rather than in person, and it's blatantly obvious he ran out of bounds. That would have made it 4th and 10, punt situation, Texas already up 14-0. 

2 - The muffed punt. I can see how that play could have gone either way. If the Texas defender hadn't been there, Stoops would have still ran into the returner. I don't really see how this could not have been Texas ball, because Stoops ran into him, not the other way around, and thus hit his own return man. 

3 - 14:36 to go in the 4th. Williams arm is hit as he's attempting to throw. Arm is going forward, hand is questionable. Not reviewed. If the DE hadn't been held, it would have been a sack at the very least. 

4- Let me clarify on this, because I do think that the Refs did a TERRIBLE job of watching for holding in this game. I am sitting here going through the video, and I can just make picture after picture after picture... but mostly in the 2nd half. The holding was an adjustment that OU made at halftime. They knew Texas was getting pressure. They knew it had been the problem when Rattler was in. The holding was an adjustment that OU made, and it just didn't get caught on to until it was too late. Props to OU for figuring out something that worked. If I could hold all game and not get called for it, I would to. OU wasn't penalized until 6 minutes were left in the 4th qtr. I was going to make a collage but it's everywhere, but I did grab a few just to prove a point.

Ultimately, I think Alex Grinch made great defensive adjustments, if only to stop Texas long enough for OU to get back in the game. I think this game would have been over a lot earlier had Texas gotten ANY of the calls early on, it would have gotten out of reach. It took Texas a little too long to plug something back in during the 2nd half and get going again. 

I think Texas will be okay. They will continue to improve. Nobody questioned the ability of Texas' offense after this game, or during it for that matter. Man is it nice to see a team that can move the ball, and isn't afraid to test you down field. 

Casey Thompson - He's that dude. Keep in mind, he's still getting his feet under him. 4 starts under his belt, and he's balling.

Bijan Robinson - Just wow. The kid is a human highlight real. He's even grabbing the attention of Reggie Bush.

Xavier Worthy - True freshman and is making MOVES. This kid is going to be special.

O-line - Played well for a large portion of the game. You can tell they're getting thin though. Denzel Okafor being out didn't help, and I noticed they lost a couple during the game, at different times. Not sure if any were long-term injuries.

D-line - Played excellent until OU made adjustments at the offensive line. In the first half, Texas was getting great pressure. 2nd half of course OU had made their changes (whatever you want to call it), and Texas 3 man wasn't getting there, but coverage was pretty good. A lot of OU's big gains were off of broken plays.

Secondary - For the most part I thought they played well. If the receivers are having to push off, or go up and make spectacular catches,  you have to be doing right. It just seemed that most 50/50 balls, OU came down with, and you can't make any bones about some of the great catches that were made.

OU - Rattler will transfer. There's no chance he goes back in. Though I don't think it was entirely Rattler's fault that everything went the way it did, I admire Williams or coming in and doing what he did. He absolutely balled out. Kid will be special, no doubt. 

OU.png

OU2.png

Regarding #2 the punt hit the Texas player on the shoulder. That’s why OU got the ball not because of catch interference. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I believe that it was in the first half that OU threw a pass into the flat that fell incomplete and Foster picked it up and ran it into the endzone without much fanfare other than the ref calling it incomplete.  The pass at the time looked very close to being a lateral.  I have not gone back and looked for it in a replay so I may be wrong.  I do know that they did not show a replay during the game.

It wasn’t a backwards pass but it definitely was close enough sideways to be reviewed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

It was backwards, barely

2 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

It wasn’t a backwards pass but it definitely was close enough sideways to be reviewed. 

Can’t review it if you blow it dead as soon as it hits the ground.  That play should’ve been a turnover and 6 points for Texas.  It was backwards, barely but backwards

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Regarding #2 the punt hit the Texas player on the shoulder. That’s why OU got the ball not because of catch interference. 

Wow I just noticed that. That's stuff they don't announce or say anything about if you're at the game. Not that you could hear it either way lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

user generated

Ref blew it dead immediately.  Should have let it play out particularly with the receiver reaching backwards while running parallel to the LOS.  The ball was picked up by Foster and taken into the endzone.  Looks like a lateral.

Yep. Officials are trained to let the play go on and then overturn it if need be. If they blow it dead, they can't magically review it and say, "They get a TD". 

Definitely looks backwards. Or at the very least lateral, meaning fumble. 

2 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

So funny story, they can review if he was forced out and call it incomplete. 

They didn’t review him going out, they reviewed catch or not.  The ref threw his hat but not a flag iirc.  If there were a flag thrown the out of bounds could’ve been reviewed.  They reviewed if the receiver caught the ball and got his feet down from what I understood 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

They didn’t review him going out, they reviewed catch or not.  The ref threw his hat but not a flag iirc.  If there were a flag thrown the out of bounds could’ve been reviewed.  They reviewed if the receiver caught the ball and got his feet down from what I understood 

Well see, I felt like they couldn't review it because there was no flag thrown for illegal touching, but the way the announcers made it seem, was that they could in fact go back and review if he was pushed out or stepped out on his own on the catch.

It's just mind-blowing to me that this stuff ALWAYS goes unnoticed when playing OU. It's like in the Big 12 championship on that 3rd and 10 touchdown pass they threw when they only had 6 players lined up on the line of scrimmage. That kind of stuff never slips through the cracks otherwise. There's literally a referee that's main purpose is to watch the line of scrimmage. 

2 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Well see, I felt like they couldn't review it because there was no flag thrown for illegal touching, but the way the announcers made it seem, was that they could in fact go back and review if he was pushed out or stepped out on his own on the catch.

It's just mind-blowing to me that this stuff ALWAYS goes unnoticed when playing OU. It's like in the Big 12 championship on that 3rd and 10 touchdown pass they threw when they only had 6 players lined up on the line of scrimmage. That kind of stuff never slips through the cracks otherwise. There's literally a referee that's main purpose is to watch the line of scrimmage. 

They holding too…smh.  All game long

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

2nd half was horrible Saturday. I feel like you notice things like that more in person, and it was bad. It was an adjustment OU made though. Texas was getting consistent pressure on Rattler in the first half. 

I still think Texas will be alright. Year 1 under Sark and 6 games in, I can see a difference. The offense is just lethal. 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Yeah but our guys don’t fight real hard to get away except to keep running. No dip and rip, no swat and swim, no push and pull. It seemed like our game plan was just to keep the QB in the pocket. Hard to get holding penalties when your bull rushing at a stalemate. 

• Like 1

I hated that we didn't pull that I-formation defense out a couple times at some big moments.

I too am always amazed at the calls (like the catch / illegal catch by the WR) that go to review and get missed. I'm trying to not see it from my side of the coin (as a fan of the team)...it's very difficult...and hard to understand why it wasn't litigated. 

This was the first Red River Shootout w/ my new wife (she is trying to be a good sport about my "sports obsession", but it's far from in her DNA - though another of her teacher friends has told her numerous times..."you married a guy that's been a coach for over 20 years and played sports all his life"). Watching that first quarter, I was so fired up...screaming and hollering...going crazy! I hate to say, when OU scored the TD with the "no catch-catch" extended drive...I started to worry. I really feel like Sark had scripted the first 10 - 15 plays and the creativity he used was crushing the Sooners. Midway thru the 2nd quarter, Texas got a bit stagnant. I really thought that Bijan should have been running more...and as was mentioned in a roundabout way late, he wasn't being used in the passing game out of the backfield...made no sense. I couldn't help but also notice that within minutes of that 2nd OU touchdown, I was getting quiet except on negative plays (where I'd get frustrated loudly)...stayed like that.    

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

I hated that we didn't pull that I-formation defense out a couple times at some big moments.

I too am always amazed at the calls (like the catch / illegal catch by the WR) that go to review and get missed. I'm trying to not see it from my side of the coin (as a fan of the team)...it's very difficult...and hard to understand why it wasn't litigated. 

This was the first Red River Shootout w/ my new wife (she is trying to be a good sport about my "sports obsession", but it's far from in her DNA - though another of her teacher friends has told her numerous times..."you married a guy that's been a coach for over 20 years and played sports all his life"). Watching that first quarter, I was so fired up...screaming and hollering...going crazy! I hate to say, when OU scored the TD with the "no catch-catch" extended drive...I started to worry. I really feel like Sark had scripted the first 10 - 15 plays and the creativity he used was crushing the Sooners. Midway thru the 2nd quarter, Texas got a bit stagnant. I really thought that Bijan should have been running more...and as was mentioned in a roundabout way late, he wasn't being used in the passing game out of the backfield...made no sense. I couldn't help but also notice that within minutes of that 2nd OU touchdown, I was getting quiet except on negative plays (where I'd get frustrated loudly)...stayed like that.    

Yeah I try not to be a homer either, but it's hard when stuff like that happens. I won't ever forget the Big 12 Championship play when they allowed the play to continue after they lined up in an illegal formation. If I can see it (never ref'd a day in my life), then there's no way the ref on the line of scrimmage misses it. That was the first time I ever thought college football may be a conspiracy LOL!