Week Eight: Longview vs Sherman

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (5-2) vs Sherman Bearcats (3-3)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Sherman in a close one
    • Sherman in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2021 at 12:30 AM

longview.pngsherman.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (5-2, 2-1) VS SHERMAN BEARCATS (3-3, 1-1)

DATE: Friday, October 15th, 2021
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
SHERMAN BROADCAST: MADROCK 102.5 FM
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview Gameday

sherman.pngBEARCATS LEAD SERIES 1-0-0 sherman.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The Bearcats have a 1-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Bearcats have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Sherman.
Sherman won the last meeting against the Lobos.
The two schools have never played at Lobo Stadium.
The two schools have never played on October 15th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
11.19.1976 - Sherman 10, Longview 3 - Texas Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Frustration. Disappointment. Heartbreak. All the words and more that can sum up Longview's 21-16 loss at Highland Park last Friday night. The Lobos headed to University Park for the first time since 1966, and walked out with a five point loss in the second straight meeting against the Scots that ended by five points admist a ton of Longview errors. Trailing 7-3 at half, the Lobos saw a forced fumble returned for a score to open the second and that was that. While Longview fought back and had the ball with under 20 seconds to go, it was for naught as Longview could get no closer than those five points. The loss all but confirms that Longview's chance at a district crown has gone by the waist side for a second straight season. If a loss doesn't happen for the Scots, the Lobos will fail to win distrcit for the second straight season for the first time in the John King era. The win for the Scots also pushed them to a 3-game series lead against the Lobos. They currently sit as the only team in Texas to hold more than a 2-game lead over the Lobos, and one of just two teams in the county. Shreveport Byrd's 8-game lead is the worst series deficit for the Lobos, currently. The Lobos will now return home to take on the Sherman Bearcats, the first meeting in nearly 45 years. Last season, Longview was set to travel to Sherman for the first time before the Bearcats cited COVID reasoning and canceled the contest. That has not set well with many Longview fans in the last year, as many Sherman players and coaches went to twitter on Thursday morning claiming they were free to play. Whatever the fact, the game did not occur and Longview as not able to visit historic Bearcat Stadium. So this season, the Lobos welcome Sherman to Longview for the first time in a series that has more canceled games in it than it does games played. In 1955, the Lobos and Bearcats came to an agreement to play each other in Sherman. However, realignment forced the game to be canceled as Sherman had too many district opponent to play. The one game the two programs did face off in came back in 1976, when the two met at Texas Stadium in the Bi-District round of the 4A playoffs. A blocked punt led directly to Sherman's lone touchdown of the game. Jim Tutt's 33-yard field goal in the first quarter helped Longview get back into the game, but a 10-3 halftime deficit would be too much for the Lobos to overcome. The Lobos were able to get down to the Sherman 13 yard line on one drive late in the game, but an interception by Sherman would seal the deal and send the No. 2 ranked Lobos to an early exit from the post season. Longview returns to Lobo Stadium looking to win their 200th game at their stadium. Opened in 1976, the Lobos have played 243 contests heading into tonight. Since that opening game, an 18-0 win over Dallas Carter, the Lobos have compiled a 199-38-6 record Lobo Stadium. Longview is currently holding a 5-game winning streak at home.

WEEK SEVEN RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Longview 16 Highland Park 21
McKinney North 28 Wylie East 21
Tyler 31 West Mesquite 18
Sherman - OFF

WEEK EIGHT 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Highland Park at McKinney North
Sherman at Longview
Tyler at Wylie East
West Mesquite - OFF

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Highland Park (5-1, 2-0)
2nd. Tyler (4-2, 2-0)
3rd. Longview (5-2, 2-1)
4th. McKinney North (3-4, 2-1)
5th. Sherman (3-3, 1-1)
6th. Wylie East (2-4, 0-3)
7th. West Mesquite (2-5, 0-3)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last game - Cleveland fell to New Caney 63-12, Conroe Caney Creek fell to New Caney Porter 31-17, Lufkin fell to College Station 56-7, Waller fell to Magnolia 42-6, Magnolia West is off.
This week - College Station hosts Cleveland, Magnolia hosts Magnolia West, New Caney hosts Conroe Caney Creek, New Caney Porter hosts Waller, Lufkin is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 5-1 (2-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (193-42 in 18 seasons) (Playoffs: 43-16)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 752-353-52 (Playoffs: 72-43-1)
Playoff Appearances: 46
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Denton Ryan (in Frisco) - Loss 40-7
09.03 - vs Marshall - Win 14-0
09.10 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 46-20
09.17 - vs Bryant, AR - Win 24-21
09.23 - at West Mesquite - Win 56-28
10.01 - vs Wylie East - Win 56-0
10.08 - at Highland Park - Loss 21-16
10.15 - vs Sherman
10.28 - at McKinney North
11.05 - vs Tyler

SHERMAN BEARCATS
Record: 3-3 (1-1)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Cory Cain (3-3 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1901
All-Time Record: 643-456-47 (Playoffs: 24-32-3)
Playoff Appearances: 35
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, 5A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (0): None
SCHEDULE:
08.27 - vs Denison - Loss 37-13
09.03 - at Mount Pleasant - Win 36-35
09.10 - at Saginaw - Win 52-10
09.17 - vs McKinney - Loss 56-0
09.24 - at Wylie East - Win 38-17
10.01 - vs Highland Park - Loss 35-17
10.15 - at Longview
10.22 - vs McKinney North
10.29 - at Tyler
11.05 - vs West Mesquite

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 15th
In 1920, Atlanta hosted Longview and dominated in a 45-6 victory.
In 1926, Longview’s Williams and Ross led the way to a 25-0 win over Troup at Fair Park.
In 1937, Dick Miller scored twice and freshmen Don Fambrough tallied in the 4th as Longview defeated Kilgore, 46-0, at Lobo Stadium, holding the Bulldogs to 65 total yards.
In 1943, Jimmy Blakeley scored three times to open the game while John Dunaway tallied twice as the Lobos rushed for 365 yards in a 45-0 win over Texas High at Grim Park.
In 1948, O’Neal Brightwell rushed in from 5 yards out while Joe Skelton rushed in from 12 in a 13-0 Henderson victory over Longview at Lion Stadium.
In 1954, Tony Rothrock rushed for three touchdowns while Bobby Randel added another in a 27-6 win over Mount Pleasant at Lobo Stadium.
In 1971, Chuck Boyd rushed for two scores while four other Lobos tallied once in a 41-7 victory over Palestine at Lobo Stadium. Longview rushed for 307 yards, while holding the Wildcats to 107 total yards.
In 1976, David Morris and two Tim Martin touchdowns overturned a John Tyler 12-0 halftime lead into a 22-12 Longview victory as the Lobos knocked off the Lions at Rose Stadium.
In 1982, after Lufkin led 6-0 after one quarter, Kenneth Hendrix got the show going for the Lobos..leading to 26 unanswered points in a 26-6 Longview victory at Lobo Stadium over the Pack. Lufkin managed just 120 yards on the night.
In 1993, trailing 10-7 late in the 3rd quarter, L’Vendric Fine rushed in from 7 yards out before Chris Butcher and Monte Rollins tallied fourth quarter scores in a 27-10 victory over Nacogdoches at Lobo Stadium.
In 1999, DeMarques Jones hauled in two touchdowns while Shawn Todd kicked a 25-yard field goal as Lufkin defeated Longview, 17-7, at Abe Martin Stadium. Walter Sharp hauled in the only Lobo touchdown of the night from 7 yards out.
In 2004, Andy Tanner’s 6-yard touchdown reception gave Rockwall the lead with 5:37 to go in the game before Vondrell McGee finished off a 10-play drive from 5 yards out with 2:12 to go to give Longview a 14-10 victory over the Yellowjackets at Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium.
In 2010, J’Haston Faggans rushed for two scores and Longview held Mesquite Horn on a 4th and short late in the 4th quarter to preserve the lead as the Lobos knocked off the Jags, 13-8, in the first of two meetings between the schools that season.
In 2020, Jalen Hale tallied twice while Kaden Meredith rushed for five scores and 243 yards in a 51-28 victory over Beaumont West Brook at Abe Martin Stadium. The two teams combined for 946 yards of total offense.

lobohowl2.GIF
  • Like 1

Really good test here. Sherman's a step down from HP, but they're no slouch and they're not gonna roll over and take a beating. I expect them to come in and hit us right in the mouth. 

Offense needs to play clean and press opportunities. Defense...  well...  just keep doing what you're doing. 

I think adjustments will be made, and in the cozy confines of home field the Lobos roll to a 20+ point win.  👍

• Like 1

The calls for the offense to ply clean is just pointless at this point.

They are who they are. They’re not changing.

The defense is good, but they’re still gonna make bone headed plays.

Is what it is. We can call and scream for them to clean up their act. But the fact is, we’re a turnover machine on offense and the team as a whole is on pace to be the most penalized team both in penalties and in yardage in the history of this program.

King’s play calling isn’t changing. The time management isn’t changing. He’s been the same way since he first took over, and we’ve lost potential state championship game appearances in the past because of it. Definitely not changing with this year’s bunch. 

Would love nothing more than for our program to become a Highland Park in terms of discipline, but that’s a joke just thinking about it. QB play isn’t changing. 

We are who we are. Faster I and others realize that the better off we’ll be.

I’m not gonna lie. We’ve had some teams in the past I was pretty much over with after game 3 or 4, 2016 being there most obvious. 2014 as well. But this one is just hitting me on another level. There is so much talent. So much. And yes we are young. But the young ones are the ones stepping up and saving our season. They’re the only reason we have a shot at the post season. I just am so beyond frustrated with how right there this season is. How on the cusp of being a state title contender this year we are, but we’re not one because of one position. It’s disheartening to know no matter what we do, we’re stuck with it. 

That and we’re going to get to go through the exact same thing again next year. All me a pessimist or whatever, but King is set in his ways and nothing is changing. I can hope and hope and hope but it’s for no good. And we saw that with the play calling last Friday.

You can hold Highland Park, in two meetings, to 4 total touchdowns and 71 TOTAL rushing yards…yet still find a way to lose both games in almost identical fashion. It’s just beyond defeating and disheartening. 

I know people don’t agree with what I’m saying, or how I’m feeling, or the way I called out a player in the HP thread. But if I’m gonna celebrate and scream how good a player is going to be one week, they should also get that same feedback when they’re playing poorly in my eyes. You shouldn’t have it one way.

We’ve become a program just under being actually elite/one of the bests these last two years, and I really feel it’s because of one position that refuses to be addressed. Now I know I don’t see the daily ins or outs. I’m not there and I have no reason to be. I see what I see, and also hear what I hear. But King has been leading this program for nearly 20 years now. The things that got on at Longview are as predictable as King’s play calling. It took us getting blown out just for him to start his own son.

Is what it is. Will be there at most games the rest of the way, but that realization of where we are and where we’re going has definitely hit. And it’s nothing to Arlington unless something changes.

• Like 8

I saw Sherman play at the first of the season.......and what I saw then is not the same Sherman that gave HP all they wanted for a bit. It is called progress and making adjustments as the season goes on. SMH! 

I would love for my Lobos to beat Sherman into submission for the way they weaseled out of playing us last year, but alas...........

As long as a typhoon is not going on, I will be there. 

GO LOBOS!!

BTHOBEARCATS

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LOBOFAN84 said:

I saw Sherman play at the first of the season.......and what I saw then is not the same Sherman that gave HP all they wanted for a bit. It is called progress and making adjustments as the season goes on. SMH! 

I would love for my Lobos to beat Sherman into submission for the way they weaseled out of playing us last year, but alas...........

As long as a typhoon is not going on, I will be there. 

GO LOBOS!!

BTHOBEARCATS

This is a bye week lobos by 100

• LOL! 2

On 10/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Is what it is. We can call and scream for them to clean up their act. But the fact is, we’re a turnover machine on offense and the team as a whole is on pace to be the most penalized team both in penalties and in yardage in the history of this program.

King’s play calling isn’t changing. The time management isn’t changing. He’s been the same way since he first took over, and we’ve lost potential state championship game appearances in the past because of it. Definitely not changing with this year’s bunch. 

Would love nothing more than for our program to become a Highland Park in terms of discipline, but that’s a joke just thinking about it. QB play isn’t changing. 

We are who we are. Faster I and others realize that the better off we’ll be.

I’m not gonna lie. We’ve had some teams in the past I was pretty much over with after game 3 or 4, 2016 being there most obvious. 2014 as well. But this one is just hitting me on another level. There is so much talent. So much. And yes we are young. But the young ones are the ones stepping up and saving our season. They’re the only reason we have a shot at the post season. I just am so beyond frustrated with how right there this season is. How on the cusp of being a state title contender this year we are, but we’re not one because of one position. It’s disheartening to know no matter what we do, we’re stuck with it. 

That and we’re going to get to go through the exact same thing again next year. All me a pessimist or whatever, but King is set in his ways and nothing is changing. I can hope and hope and hope but it’s for no good. And we saw that with the play calling last Friday.

You can hold Highland Park, in two meetings, to 4 total touchdowns and 71 TOTAL rushing yards…yet still find a way to lose both games in almost identical fashion. It’s just beyond defeating and disheartening. 

I know people don’t agree with what I’m saying, or how I’m feeling, or the way I called out a player in the HP thread. But if I’m gonna celebrate and scream how good a player is going to be one week, they should also get that same feedback when they’re playing poorly in my eyes. You shouldn’t have it one way.

We’ve become a program just under being actually elite/one of the bests these last two years, and I really feel it’s because of one position that refuses to be addressed. Now I know I don’t see the daily ins or outs. I’m not there and I have no reason to be. I see what I see, and also hear what I hear. But King has been leading this program for nearly 20 years now. The things that got on at Longview are as predictable as King’s play calling. It took us getting blown out just for him to start his own son.

Is what it is. Will be there at most games the rest of the way, but that realization of where we are and where we’re going has definitely hit. And it’s nothing to Arlington unless something changes.

I don't disagree with a lot of this. Good post. I don't disagree with your assessment of said players, but maybe in how some of it is said sometimes. 

Coach King is a very loyal coach. Like, to a fault loyal. I'm like you- excited to see how well this team can play and then deflated because of how they beat themselves time and time again. At this point I'm hoping to see us improve week to week and hopefully cut down on some mistakes. 

• Like 1

How boring would it be if everyone thought the same thing? Nah, I like a broad spectrum of views. It's how we all learn, grow, and come to appreciate one another. I feel privileged to be part of such a passionate and insightful fanbase. 

On 10/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Is what it is.

I

Brother....I completely understand what you are saying.  I am a few weeks ahead of you on how I feel about all of this.  Blessed we have a John King but frustrated in some of the things he does.  I also fully acknowledge that he has probably forgotten more about football than I'll every know and deals with things I couldn't imagine, but I can be a fan who has an opinion, none the less.

The part I highlighted above is who we are and will always be.  It will take a generational player to elevate us (every so often) to being elite for that particular year.  I honestly don't think we will see any better than this.  I don't think it is apathy...for me, it is a realization of where we are located, the talent we have, and what we are in terms of the program and coaching.  Again I do recognize we are really in an incredible place as a non urban program.  So I am going to sit back, let him do his thing and keep my expectations accordingly.  I grew up in the days of Bero...I'll take John King over him or any other.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Maybe this is the highest ceiling this team can hit? Anybody ever thought about that???

Nope. Not with the defense this team has, not with the receivers this team has. I truly believe we are one position away from competing for state this season. It just so happens that one position is the most important in football at this current time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LOL said:

How boring would it be if everyone thought the same thing? Nah, I like a broad spectrum of views. It's how we all learn, grow, and come to appreciate one another. I feel privileged to be part of such a passionate and insightful fanbase. 

Well I for one am happy you're around, even if I give you #### about the broadcasts. 🤣

• LOL! 1

First post updated. Preview coming tomorrow evening. Sorry for late updates, been extremely busy week and haven't had much motivation post work.

Win won't clinch a playoff berth, but it'd make it pretty certain going into the bye week.