Jax vs Nac

Jets

I'm picking Nac.... but the Dragons would be wise to take Jax seriously.  Their record is deceiving.

While Jacksonville's defense is a major liability... their offense has a lot of talent.  McCuin is a beast and he's hard to stop.  The QB is young...and makes some mistakes, but he can launch the ball.

If Nac's offense struggles... or if their defense lets McCuin run wild... Jax could get the upset and ruin Nac's playoff hopes.

• Like 1

making the playoffs last year I thought maybe nac was looking up...is this coach in his 3rd or 4th year?? I know losing defensive player was hard...he was really good last year . hard game to pick ..gotta think Jax at home wins ... qb and wr McClain?? both are very good

Love the NDNs but if you just listen to players  which I'm around a ton. They are done. The once Pride to play at the Tomato Bowl is over.  What needs to be done to bring life back?  How do you get them to play hard? Needs to be answered to get it back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cat51993 said:

Love the NDNs but if you just listen to players  which I'm around a ton. They are done. The once Pride to play at the Tomato Bowl is over.  What needs to be done to bring life back?  How do you get them to play hard? Needs to be answered to get it back.

Sad to hear that

There is absolutely no reason Nac should lose this game UNLESS they go in overlooking Jacksonville. 

Jax is not devoid of talent this season.

Now as far as to my theories as to why Jax has struggled the last decade….. I have ideas.   And I’ll be the first to admit I could very well be wrong.  I’m an outsider looking in.  But I have my theories. And they would be very unpopular to accept by the community. And even harder to change.   But absolutely not impossible to change. 

But coaching and boostering football in 2021 is different from the way it was done in 1995. Especially in East Texas.  Adapt lest you perish.   Some programs have chosen to perish.   Even if the choice was made passively instead of actively. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

There is absolutely no reason Nac should lose this game UNLESS they go in overlooking Jacksonville. 

Jax is not devoid of talent this season.

Now as far as to my theories as to why Jax has struggled the last decade….. I have ideas.   And I’ll be the first to admit I could very well be wrong.  I’m an outsider looking in.  But I have my theories. And they would be very unpopular to accept by the community. And even harder to change.   But absolutely not impossible to change. 

But coaching and boostering football in 2021 is different from the way it was done in 1995. Especially in East Texas.  Adapt lest you perish.   Some programs have chosen to perish.   Even if the choice was made passively instead of actively. 

I watched the game on their live stream and from what I’ve seen the coaches have given up. There were two ejections of jville players and I saw zero concern from some of the coaches. Discipline has been lacking lately and that is unacceptable. I can take not winning (not easy), but I can’t take a team without discipline. It is doing these kids no favors on being taught how to be men. I’m my opinion, the coaching has run it’s course and  needs an overhaul. 

it’s sad to see the Tomato Bowl what it is now. Yes, it’s a lot nicer with renovations, but there is no fear from opponents like there once was.  Teams used to go to the Tomato Bowl for a battle that they would more than likely lose. Now they are going for field trip and a W. The tribe only has 1 win since renovation and that is very hard to accept from former players. 

And I may be completely wrong about what I said about coaches giving up, but that’s what I noticed from the live stream. 

• Like 3

Like I said....I'm an outsider looking in.  And I could be TOTALLY off-base with my thoughts.  But this is what I've observed from Jacksonville as a possiblity:

The demographics at Jacksonville HS (and most of the 5A schools in East Texas) have changed since the mid 90's.  The hispanic population at JHS has exploded.

There is a misconception and and near-stereotypical view that hispanic students have no interest in football...or worse that they "can't" play football.

We've all seen it insinuated and sometimes blatantly said on message forums.

The thought that they "can't" play football is absolutely ridiculous.

The statement they have no interest in football is where being a coach and a booster has changed from the way they were 20-25 years ago.

It's imperative that an athletic director and head football coach ACTIVELY involve the hispanic community in football.  Enrolling them in city league football prior to 7th grade.  Getting them on the field in middle school... then into HS playing freshman and JV ball.

The "good ole boy" network of giving the starting positions to the kids with a "rich daddy" or "booster dad" are gone.  And that's REALLY HARD for some of these towns in East Texas to let that power go.  They have always run the show.....and relinquishing that is going to require a culture change in a community.

Thinking about the more successful 5A/6A programs in East Texas.  Longview, Tyler, Marshall, Texas High.... what have they all done successfully?  They have integrated their growing hispanic enrollments into the growth of football.  Yeah... they are still playing soccer in the spring... but in the Fall...they are donning the pads.

I see several schools in our district that are struggling to do this.... and their W/L column is showing it.  They are still letting the rich white kid who's dad is a lawyer or owns the lumber yard call the shots.

That just doesn't fly in 2021 anymore.  Not when your pool of players is shrinking every year..... 

1.  Gotta trash the good ole boy network
2.  Gotta actively recruit and teach hispanic kids football just like you have white and black kids for decades.
3.  Gotta involve the hispanic community in the game, boosters, fundraising, etc, etc.......

That won't guarantee wins...... but it will at least address the fact that your talent pool is getting smaller and smaller as your demographics continue to change.

Like I said.... I could be WAY off base.  But it's just something I've seen trend in several schools in the region.  And it seems like Jax has fallen into that trap of being stuck in 1995.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Like I said....I'm an outsider looking in.  And I could be TOTALLY off-base with my thoughts.  But this is what I've observed from Jacksonville as a possiblity:

The demographics at Jacksonville HS (and most of the 5A schools in East Texas) have changed since the mid 90's.  The hispanic population at JHS has exploded.

There is a misconception and and near-stereotypical view that hispanic students have no interest in football...or worse that they "can't" play football.

We've all seen it insinuated and sometimes blatantly said on message forums.

The thought that they "can't" play football is absolutely ridiculous.

The statement they have no interest in football is where being a coach and a booster has changed from the way they were 20-25 years ago.

It's imperative that an athletic director and head football coach ACTIVELY involve the hispanic community in football.  Enrolling them in city league football prior to 7th grade.  Getting them on the field in middle school... then into HS playing freshman and JV ball.

The "good ole boy" network of giving the starting positions to the kids with a "rich daddy" or "booster dad" are gone.  And that's REALLY HARD for some of these towns in East Texas to let that power go.  They have always run the show.....and relinquishing that is going to require a culture change in a community.

Thinking about the more successful 5A/6A programs in East Texas.  Longview, Tyler, Marshall, Texas High.... what have they all done successfully?  They have integrated their growing hispanic enrollments into the growth of football.  Yeah... they are still playing soccer in the spring... but in the Fall...they are donning the pads.

I see several schools in our district that are struggling to do this.... and their W/L column is showing it.  They are still letting the rich white kid who's dad is a lawyer or owns the lumber yard call the shots.

That just doesn't fly in 2021 anymore.  Not when your pool of players is shrinking every year..... 

1.  Gotta trash the good ole boy network
2.  Gotta actively recruit and teach hispanic kids football just like you have white and black kids for decades.
3.  Gotta involve the hispanic community in the game, boosters, fundraising, etc, etc.......

That won't guarantee wins...... but it will at least address the fact that your talent pool is getting smaller and smaller as your demographics continue to change.

Like I said.... I could be WAY off base.  But it's just something I've seen trend in several schools in the region.  And it seems like Jax has fallen into that trap of being stuck in 1995.

While I don't necessarily believe in single causational theory ... I do observe strong signs of a reactionary philosophy within the community power structure ... and I can say that some people apparently prefer a horse and buggy.  Some places are built around character, while others are built around characters.  Does this apply here - don't know, that would merely be an opinion and everybody has one of those ... but I imagine it is a fact that there is no doubt it is hard to compete in 5A-D2 when your perceived available gene pool sits with 4A-D2 numbers.  It is what it is and what it is may not be desirable for some to change.  Some people prefer to ride their own horse; even if they ride it into the ground. And like an old coach once told me - "There are two kinds of horses - show ponies and real hosses. And show ponies usually get you fired."  But like Dad said, "An opinion is usually worth about the same as a bucket of warm spit" and "Never take advice from someone whose not holding hands with you in the same fire."

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Well if it any consolation Jacksonville may be headed there way to 4a. Teams typically have greater success because closer than enrollment. The region in the playoffs typically is far easier than what you meet in 5a. ( Huntsville College station, A&M ect.

Henderson won state and Lindale played for state having their best season ever.  I don’t think Jacksonville will have that kinda of success but playoff contender is not out of the question.  Jacksonville post 2005 or so hasn’t been good since. I remember when it was actually respected to play Jacksonville. 

When I played for Jax in 93 we went to Henderson and won 10-6, Henderson had Adrian Dudley then

It’s not just a numbers issue IMHO.   

Is it a factor?  Sure.  There is a legit reason why UIL aligns schools. 

But I don’t think Jax dropping to 4A Div I automatically makes them a district title contender.  

They need a cultural change no matter what classification they are in.   But that’s jmho. 

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

It’s not just a numbers issue IMHO.   

Is it a factor?  Sure.  There is a legit reason why UIL aligns schools. 

But I don’t think Jax dropping to 4A Div I automatically makes them a district title contender.  

They need a cultural change no matter what classification they are in.   But that’s jmho. 

I agree with you completely.  It will have to start with a culture change. I may be hated by people from Jacksonville with this opinion. If you happen to be one of the ones who don’t like the opinion and you’re happy with losing then that’s on you. I understand rebuilding but it shouldn’t take 16 years. I appreciate where I come from, but it doesn’t mean I have to like the culture that we have become. We have done these kids an injustice by letting them slide without consequences. I want to see these kids get their butts chewed out on the sidelines for making bad decisions, then the coach give them a pat. Let the kids know you love them but you will be the first person to rip into them. We don’t come from an affluent area and tough love is what these kids need. Too much sugar coating.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, formertribesman said:

I agree with you completely.  It will have to start with a culture change. I may be hated by people from Jacksonville with this opinion. If you happen to be one of the ones who don’t like the opinion and you’re happy with losing then that’s on you. I understand rebuilding but it shouldn’t take 16 years. I appreciate where I come from, but it doesn’t mean I have to like the culture that we have become. We have done these kids an injustice by letting them slide without consequences. I want to see these kids get their butts chewed out on the sidelines for making bad decisions, then the coach give them a pat. Let the kids know you love them but you will be the first person to rip into them. We don’t come from an affluent area and tough love is what these kids need. Too much sugar coating.

I’m a transplant to Jacksonville and I see what you see. One thing I have seen is that it starts in the stands as well. The culture of winning starts with the town. From what I have seen the games in Jacksonville is more of a social gathering then supporting the team and their accomplishments. I saw at least decent turn out but the atmosphere wasn’t what I have experienced in other places. Winning culture has to start with expectations from the town. It can be bad in some cases as expectations can be too high but it without any expectation of winning you will never build the culture. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jets said:

I've spoken at length to both Danny long and Wayne Coleman on the Hispanic issue, I won't repeat what they said. I feel it's an excuse, you have to get it done with what you have period

If you have a male pool that is one-third (or more) hispanic....and they are largely not participating in football....you aren't getting it done with what you have.  You're trying to do it with LESS than you actually have.

When you're already at a disadvantage with a smaller enrollment..... to ignore a large swath of your male population makes that pool even smaller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

If you have a male pool that is one-third (or more) hispanic....and they are largely not participating in football....you aren't getting it done with what you have.  You're trying to do it with LESS than you actually have.

When you're already at a disadvantage with a smaller enrollment..... to ignore a large swath of your male population makes that pool even smaller.

If what your saying is true, why doesn't marshall have a lot of Hispanic players on their team?