OPEN DATES

DOB

Some coaches like them ... some don't ... they both have their reasons.

Interested in your thoughts as a Non-Staff Guru ...

Thoughts for an Open Date .... Some people may have better athletes, better facilities, or better whatevers ... But one thing all teams have is the same time - there are twenty-four clock hours in a day and the team and staff that makes the best use of their available time during the revolution of that clock holds a great advantage ..... Old Coach B

thoughts.jpg

Depends on the timing. I like it a little later in the year to allow for players to get some recovery. If your team plays well into the playoffs, that's a lot of wear on the kids.  It's good for them to get some time to allow their bodies to recover.  Could also be beneficial for game planning if you have a big game coming up and to work on adding some things to the scheme that you may not have time to add during a normal week of game preparation.

My thinking is that it depends on the football program and where it is in it's development.  One that is further developed probably schedule's tougher competition in predistrict and therefore is more apt to want a Bye Week after 5 or 6 games.  That program will usually have some easier games in district play and perhaps at least the first week in the playoffs against a lesser opponent to take away some of the weekly strain.  For the midmature or lesser developed programs, I would think a longer straight run of games until perhaps Week 7, 8, or 9 would be more beneficial for the players and coaching staffs to create an environment where the team could take advantage of playing every week for an extended run.  But it could work against a team.......so it really just depends on lots of variables in that particular school.