Is THIS What You Had In Mind, Monte?

BarryLaverty

I don't really think so...
https://www.thedailybeast.com/southlake-texas-school-official-gina-peddy-asks-teachers-to-balance-holocaust-books-with-opposing-narratives

Texas School Official Tell Teachers to Balance Holocaust Books with ‘Opposing’ Narratives

UH, NO

GettyImages-141930592_ewxadd

Andrew Burton/Getty

Teachers at the Carroll Independent School District in Southlake, Texas, were shocked last week when a top district official asked them to offer students “opposing” viewpoints if they kept books about the Holocaust in their classrooms. An Oct. 8 audio recording obtained by NBC News captured Gina Peddy trying to explain a new Texas education law during a teachers’ training session on classroom library guidelines. The law, House Bill 3979, requires teachers to present “both sides” when discussing “widely debated and currently controversial issues.” Peddy said, “Make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust, that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

NBC News spoke to six Carroll educators, including four who were in the room when Peddy made her remarks. They said they were worried about inconsistent, confusing messaging issued by district officials, and fear they won’t be backed up by the board if an issue arises. Days before the training, after a parent complained, the school board voted 3-2 to reprimand a teacher for having a copy of This Book Is Anti-Racist in her classroom. “Teachers are literally afraid that we’re going to be punished for having books in our classes,” one elementary school teacher said. “There are no children’s books that show the ‘opposing perspective’ of the Holocaust or the ‘opposing perspective’ of slavery. Are we supposed to get rid of all of the books on those subjects?”

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I don't really think so...
https://www.thedailybeast.com/southlake-texas-school-official-gina-peddy-asks-teachers-to-balance-holocaust-books-with-opposing-narratives

Texas School Official Tell Teachers to Balance Holocaust Books with ‘Opposing’ Narratives

UH, NO

GettyImages-141930592_ewxadd

Andrew Burton/Getty

Teachers at the Carroll Independent School District in Southlake, Texas, were shocked last week when a top district official asked them to offer students “opposing” viewpoints if they kept books about the Holocaust in their classrooms. An Oct. 8 audio recording obtained by NBC News captured Gina Peddy trying to explain a new Texas education law during a teachers’ training session on classroom library guidelines. The law, House Bill 3979, requires teachers to present “both sides” when discussing “widely debated and currently controversial issues.” Peddy said, “Make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust, that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

NBC News spoke to six Carroll educators, including four who were in the room when Peddy made her remarks. They said they were worried about inconsistent, confusing messaging issued by district officials, and fear they won’t be backed up by the board if an issue arises. Days before the training, after a parent complained, the school board voted 3-2 to reprimand a teacher for having a copy of This Book Is Anti-Racist in her classroom. “Teachers are literally afraid that we’re going to be punished for having books in our classes,” one elementary school teacher said. “There are no children’s books that show the ‘opposing perspective’ of the Holocaust or the ‘opposing perspective’ of slavery. Are we supposed to get rid of all of the books on those subjects?”

While I believe in doing this in a classroom of older students, I would love to know of a book that talks about the German view of the Holocaust? Most of the books on the Holocaust that I have read are saying how bad it was for the Jewish people, now they want books that talk about the Germans view--which would be the opposite view. But in elementary? 

Seems like people are bending over backwards to appease others, and we saw where that got Chamberlain!!!!:rofl:

42 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

@BarryLaverty Sure. If you're constructing a strawman.

No 'straw man'. Been telling you for months what the consequences would be and what the real intent was, which was to use CRT as a bludgeon to destroy all discussion and thought regarding history that might be unfavorable to extremist viewpoints and prop up revisionists. Here it is...

9 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

No 'straw man'. Been telling you for months what the consequences would be and what the real intent was, which was to use CRT as a bludgeon to destroy all discussion and thought regarding history that might be unfavorable to extremist viewpoints and prop up revisionists. Here it is...

You're misinformed, then. As is the lady in the article.

• Like 1

I don't believe this should happen.  The Holocaust did happen, and while many of those that survived are dying and will never be able to bear witness what happened it did.  Whoever made this decision should be fired for spreading falsehood.  I would think the left would be supportive of this, because if people believe it never happened just as the murder of citizens in Russia, China, Cambodia, Uganda, North Korea, Armenia, Japan, Congo, Cuba, and Venezuela just to name a few.  They wanted to remove dissidents of their country.  If they did it there they can do it here, and we see how much the left hates the right and want our voices silenced by removing the Second Amendment.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I don't believe this should happen.  The Holocaust did happen, and while many of those that survived are dying and will never be able to bear witness what happened it did.  Whoever made this decision should be fired for spreading falsehood.  I would think the left would be supportive of this, because if people believe it never happened just as the murder of citizens in Russia, China, Cambodia, Uganda, North Korea, Armenia, Japan, Congo, Cuba, and Venezuela just to name a few.  They wanted to remove dissidents of their country.  If they did it there they can do it here, and we see how much the left hates the right and want our voices silenced by removing the Second Amendment.  

Not gonna lie, you had me with the first half but the second half was complete ignorance. 

44 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Congratulations!

This thread has turned into a straw man, non-sequitur, Motte-and-bailey, false equivalence, psychologist's fallacy, faulty generalization, post hoc ergo propter hoc, irrelevant conclusion, red herring, poisoning the well, and probably several other fallacies.

If you think I'm wrong, refute me. I don't think I am.

That’s all they know

3 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Congratulations!

This thread has turned into a straw man, non-sequitur, Motte-and-bailey, false equivalence, psychologist's fallacy, faulty generalization, post hoc ergo propter hoc, irrelevant conclusion, red herring, poisoning the well, and probably several other fallacies.

If you think I'm wrong, refute me. I don't think I am.

Gotta love it when Monte is so wrong that he starts sputtering out every phrase he can find to try and cover himself! :rofl:

I told you repeatedly that this CRT garbage tactic was a cover to erase all uncomfortable history and that it would chill discussions of anything controversial, and that's EXACTLY what is going on and what the root motivation was. You who claims to be so studied and is such an ardent defender of poor white people and attacker of all media got this one so, so wrong. You got played. That's okay, because your whole tribe did in your silo. 

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Gotta love it when Monte is so wrong that he starts sputtering out every phrase he can find to try and cover himself! :rofl:

I told you repeatedly that this CRT garbage tactic was a cover to erase all uncomfortable history and that it would chill discussions of anything controversial, and that's EXACTLY what is going on and what the root motivation was. You who claims to be so studied and is such an ardent defender of poor white people and attacker of all media got this one so, so wrong. You got played. That's okay, because your whole tribe did in your silo. 

Ad hominem.

How about explaining how I'm wrong, using actual examples, instead of resorting to yet another fallacy?

You continue to underestimate me, Barry.

And I'm not an attacker of all media. Just dishonest media. I view media with a skeptical eye, just like I do politicians.

21 hours ago, PepeSilvia said:

Not gonna lie, you had me with the first half but the second half was complete ignorance. 

Actually it's not.  We are already seeing your tactics in regards to what the left considers hate speech and how people are being cancelled.  As for every country that I posted I can name the years that they killed their citizens for political dissent.  

9 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

If they would present CRT has a theory to be picked apart for its many lies in it then I would say go ahead and bring it.  Yet, many teachers and school districts want to teach it as facts just as they do evolution.  I have no problems with evolution being taught in schools either, but it should be taught as a theory which it is and not as a scientific law.  You probably accept it as fact.  I can not fully accept it as fact, and believe there is some truth in it just as their is with CRT.  The problem is they want it taught as all true.  Please.  Even in 1875 a pension was finally given to Mack Smith for fighting at the Battle of San Jacinto.  African-Americans at San Jacinto | TSLAC (texas.gov)

A year earlier he had requested that Mack's name be added to the bronze plaque.  In 1874, Captain Billingsley stepped forward to insist that the name of a black soldier, Maxlin “Mack” Smith be inscribed on the San Jacinto honor role after his name had been omitted from the bronze plaque listing those who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto.  Jesse Billingsley Texas Hero and Pet Lover – People's History in Texas (peopleshistoryintexas.org) 

While this is in regard to "Forget the Alamo" that is just one of the things that CRT wants to present that the Texas Revolution was all about slavery.  If that were the case then why did blacks fight for slavery both slaves and freemen ?  Details - African Americans in the Texas Revolution - Atlas Number 5507013929 - Atlas: Texas Historical Commission (state.tx.us)

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

If they would present CRT has a theory to be picked apart for its many lies in it then I would say go ahead and bring it.  Yet, many teachers and school districts want to teach it as facts just as they do evolution.  I have no problems with evolution being taught in schools either, but it should be taught as a theory which it is and not as a scientific law.  You probably accept it as fact.  I can not fully accept it as fact, and believe there is some truth in it just as their is with CRT.  The problem is they want it taught as all true.  Please.  Even in 1875 a pension was finally given to Mack Smith for fighting at the Battle of San Jacinto.  African-Americans at San Jacinto | TSLAC (texas.gov)

A year earlier he had requested that Mack's name be added to the bronze plaque.  In 1874, Captain Billingsley stepped forward to insist that the name of a black soldier, Maxlin “Mack” Smith be inscribed on the San Jacinto honor role after his name had been omitted from the bronze plaque listing those who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto.  Jesse Billingsley Texas Hero and Pet Lover – People's History in Texas (peopleshistoryintexas.org) 

While this is in regard to "Forget the Alamo" that is just one of the things that CRT wants to present that the Texas Revolution was all about slavery.  If that were the case then why did blacks fight for slavery both slaves and freemen ?  Details - African Americans in the Texas Revolution - Atlas Number 5507013929 - Atlas: Texas Historical Commission (state.tx.us)

You are reading propaganda or you are being very misinformed and drawing your own conclusions from what source I don't know. CRT is not being taught and hasn't been taught in public schools. The attacks using it are dishonest and fear mongering to drive a political agenda. Usual GOP move to create fear and smear. Bonus for them that it diminishes racial issues and equality. 

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

You are reading propaganda or you are being very misinformed and drawing your own conclusions from what source I don't know. CRT is not being taught and hasn't been taught in public schools. The attacks using it are dishonest and fear mongering to drive a political agenda. Usual GOP move to create fear and smear. Bonus for them that it diminishes racial issues and equality. 

Teach History and not propaganda as the 1619 project claims.  I've read History since I was a young child, and it is my favorite subject.  Let's lay out the facts, and what people wrote in their diaries in regards to the Revolutionary War, the Texas Revolution, the Civil War, WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, and today.  If you want to say that not a single free black man lived in Texas before Mexico took over, then you need to read a Texas History book again.  I know blacks in Texas weren't always considered equal. How many of you have read this fact ?  Dec. 11, 1917: Black Soldiers Executed for Houston Riot - Zinn Education Project (zinnedproject.org) .  It was wrong then, and it is wrong now.  You want to paint Conservatives as racist, but do some research.  Conservatives that I know desire equality for all, not some, but all races.  If you think that 1619 project aka CRT isn't being taught then why are do you hate an Italian so much ?  I have no problem with Cristobol Colon, he didn't sail across the Atlantic to massacre people.  He was looking for a trade route to the East Indies.  Even the small pox narrative that the left has used in regards to Colon are unfounded.  Yet, you want to think that it's true.  Did Colonists Give Infected Blankets to Native Americans as Biological Warfare? - HISTORY   

It’s also not clear whether or not the attempt at biological warfare had the intended effect. According to Fenn’s article, the Native Americans around Fort Pitt were “struck hard” by smallpox in the spring and summer of 1763. “We can’t be sure,” Kelton says. Around that time, “we know that smallpox was circulating in the area, but they [Native Americans] could have come down with the disease by other means.”

Historian Philip Ranlet of Hunter College and author of a 2000 article on the smallpox blanket incident in Pennsylvania History: A Journal of Mid-Atlantic Studies, also casts doubt. “There is no evidence that the scheme worked,” Ranlet says. “The infection on the blankets was apparently old, so no one could catch smallpox from the blankets. Besides, the Indians just had smallpox—the smallpox that reached Fort Pitt had come from Indians—and anyone susceptible to smallpox had already had it.”

The most important indication that the scheme was a bust, Ranlet says, “is that Trent would have bragged in his journal if the scheme had worked. He is silent as to what happened.”