Evolution, Creationism, or both????

jasonattsu

Please enlighten me etfpktc. How can you look at the complexity of even a tree and not tell that it was designed by an intelligent creator? Recently, a life long vocal proponent of atheism admitted that due to the complexity of creation that there had to be some kind of creative God that designed all creation and gave it purpose. If you looked at a mouse trap could you tell that it was designed by someone and created for a certain purpose? Ofcourse, then why can't you look at the complexity of human life and see that it must have been intelligently designed by a creative being of a higher existence?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes no sense. We're supposed to look at anything we don't understand and see proof of the God of the Old Testament?

Nature exists. If things didn't happen the way they did, none of us would be here, and we wouldn't need to be debating it.

I don't understand how a car works, but I'm not building a shrine to Henry Ford.

Originally posted by JPure

Please enlighten me etfpktc. How can you look at the complexity of even a tree and not tell that it was designed by an intelligent creator? Recently, a life long vocal proponent of atheism admitted that due to the complexity of creation that there had to be some kind of creative God that designed all creation and gave it purpose. If you looked at a mouse trap could you tell that it was designed by someone and created for a certain purpose? Ofcourse, then why can't you look at the complexity of human life and see that it must have been intelligently designed by a creative being of a higher existence?

When did I say there wasn't a higher being? It's the thinking like that which causes problems.

You're insulting God by saying evolution isn't possible. It's like God is too basic to have something like that happen.

Like we'd ever be able to understand it. Things just didn't go *poof* and exist. God created them within the bounds of the universe that he set the rules in. How hard is that to understand?

Evolution and God cannot co-exist. Theistic evolution is false. You either believe that God did it just as He said He did in Genesis or you deny it and therefore the rest of the Bible as absolute truth. You are insulting God by saying that He can't say *poof* and it exist. You are insulting God by saying that He needs evolution to create.

You are insulting God by saying that He can't say *poof* and it exist. You are insulting God by saying that He needs evolution to create.

I don't think that's what he was saying right there ... I think he meant that everything just didn't appear ... God did it.

If God created by evolutionary means then why didn't God say that. He (God) did not say that He created a one-cell organism and then over thousands years it somehow became a two-cell organism and so on and so on. God created the animals in the seas and the animals on land "according to their kinds" on the fifth and sixth days of creation-not over thousands of years! Evolution was created by man and has been used to challenge the existance of God and it is not proven by science! Science disproves evolution. Dinosaurs, the ice age, mammoths,etc... can all be explained using the Bible and good science.

I feel sorry for you Pure. Really really sorry. If you honestly believe that things just 'existed' out of nowhere, sigh...

God created the universe, right? And within his universe, he created rules. Of course, God can override these rules if he wants right? But why would he place something not created within the bounds of HIS rules?

I'm sure you really don't know much about the topic, other than anyone who believes in evolution must be an athiest out to get rid of God.

If God created by evolutionary means then why didn't God say that

Ahem, did God (Well, not really God, I mean the book written by man inspired by God...) tell us in the bible that we were all made up of tiny little atoms which consisted of neutrons, protons, and electrons? Did it say that within those atom particles, there are even smaller ones that they break up into? On the opposite side, I want to say I've heard somewhere before, but some things in the bible, after all of the SCIENTIFIC findings, made sense because we knew of them. More specifically, I want to say it was something about our solar system. What I'm trying to say here is, the answer might be right there in the Bible, and we just don't know enough yet to realize it.

You know about cell division right? You know where babies come from right? We start as two 'cells'. Those cells meet and the chromosomes which tell things what to do begin to make things happen. That cell separates, and those two cells separate, and so on. Eventually, the cells come together and make a heart, a liver, a brain...etc. The rudimentary settings of evolution are around us. God set them up so they would happen. Why is it hard to think that maybe God wanted to be entertained? We are, after all, a big 'TV' show right? When he got mad at where the TV show was going, he had a worldwide purging of humans. He let one of the characters know, and that character made an arc. Then came the spin-off.

Evolution was created by man and has been used to challenge the existance of God
Guess what thumpy? Man created God. Not in the sense of 'he wasn't there before us', but think about it. God put something in us that gives us the ability to comprehend he is there. If you look at any culture, from any place in the world, they believe in some sort of overall GOD. God put in us the ability to create him in our level of being. He gave us the ability to create ways to communicate, worship, and follow his teachings. Sometimes the levels are skewed, for example, the inspired writings of the Bible, or the implications of Jesus Christ.

Newsflash: You can't understand God. Niether can I, niether can any of us. The 'word of god', or the Bible, is merely a tool to become a better person, through parables, and also to teach of Jesus and God, through their 'words'. If it's from God, then it has done exactly what it was supposed to do, insite goodwill among men. Of course there have been times when the word has been misused, but it has done a lot of good, and will continue so for a long, long time. I'm sure you read it literally, so I'll stop wasting webspace by trying to explain things to you.

Like I said before, maybe there's a reason we don't know. As you can see things are getting entirely too complicated to explain now. Maybe we did *poof* appear. Maybe we evolved from something. The point is, who cares? We have no reason to wonder how we got here. What we do have reason to do, however, is be thankful we are here and go on with life without worrying how we came about. Everyone has their opinions and chances are they won't change so there's no need in trying to get someone to change their mind by getting mad at them and calling them ignorant. No one can say "you're right"or "you're wrong" because the truth is none of us know, which is why this thread got started.

Originally posted by woodgie07

Like I said before, maybe there's a reason we don't know. As you can see things are getting entirely too complicated to explain now. Maybe we did *poof* appear. Maybe we evolved from something. The point is, who cares? We have no reason to wonder how we got here. What we do have reason to do, however, is be thankful we are here and go on with life without worrying how we came about. Everyone has their opinions and chances are they won't change so there's no need in trying to get someone to change their mind by getting mad at them and calling them ignorant. No one can say "you're right"or "you're wrong" because the truth is none of us know, which is why this thread got started.

Yikes. This man said it better than I could. I completely agree. I applaud you woodgie.

Originally posted by woodgie07

I applaud this Agnostic form of thinking.

etfpkc-

So either God was lying to Moses when He told him that he created the animals of the sea and land on the 5th and 6th days of creation "according to their kinds" or you choose to ignore this statement?

What disturbs me about your opinions is that you claim to believe in God but you don't believe His word. The reason I believe "creation", as described in the Bible, is so important is because if you can prove that it is incorrect or 'symbolic' then you can assume that about the rest of the Bible. If you can disprove the existance of the first man, Adam, and therefore his sin that caused the fall of man/creation (the curse/death) then you eliminate the need for the Son of Man to come to Earth and make atonement for us. That is why atheists support evolution. Not because it is scientific fact, but because it supports there beliefs about God or rather the lack of a god. If they get Christians to even buy into theistic evolution then they are succeeding because they have caused you to question the truthfulness of the God inspired word (Bible). Did you see the article in the paper today titled-

"Fossil shows mammal ate dinosaur- Discovery contradicts evolutionary "THEORY", suggests period much different than believed"

It is a "THEORY" and the more scientists discover or don't discover for that matter continues to contradict it.

Now, to unbelieving scientists "creation" by God is a theory as well. But creation by God continues to gain credence even from their unbelieving perspectives. Take away the flawed carbon-14 dating and you will find that everything fits into the Biblical account of creation, the flood, ice ages, etc. How many times have you heard a scientist go from believing in God to not believing in God because of his studies? Now, how many have you heard going the other way? Christian scientists don't turn to atheism, but atheists are steadily turning to a belief in a god if not the God.

Again, (sorry I kinda got off track) I believe this argument is so important because if you can disprove or eliminate the inerrantness of the scripture concerning creation then you can assume the rest of the Bible is also symbolic or untrue. That is why I am so passionate about this subject, and I am sorry if that offends you.

Take away the flawed carbon-14 dating and you will find that everything fits into the Biblical account of creation, the flood, ice ages, etc.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/carbon-142.htm

If you are implying that man creates/designs machines to prove his theories, would you apply that view to modern medicine?...:whistle:

:cat:

oldsot-

Alright, I read your article; now, read mine.

Go to answersingenesis.org and click 'Q and A Topics'. Then look on the left side of the page and you will see 'Top 10 Questions'. Click question #10- 'How accurate is the carbon-14 dating method?'

After you have read it, tell me what you think.

"Fossil shows mammal ate dinosaur- Discovery contradicts evolutionary "THEORY", suggests period much different than believed"

It is a "THEORY" and the more scientists discover or don't discover for that matter continues to contradict it.

i guess relativity and gravity are flawed because they are "THEORIES"

JPure, the following is just an example of the contradictions in the Bible. The hand of man made many mistakes in the book of God. How can you pretend that every word of the Bible is truth when even the author's did'nt appear to know all the facts?

God creates animals and then man - Gen 1:25-26

God creates man and then the animals - Gen 2:18-19

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arpachshad's son was Shelah - Gen 11:12

Arpachshad's grandson was Shelah - Luke 3:35-36

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noah takes 7 pairs of each type of animal onto the ark - Gen 7:2-3

Noah takes one pair of animal onto the ark - Gen 6:19

Terah's lifespan.

According to Gen 11:26, Terah was 70 when Abraham was born and Abraham was 75 when he left Haran. Therefore he lived 70 years (ie. his age when Abraham was born) plus 75 years (the age of Abraham when he left Haran - as stated in Gen 12:4). He did not live beyond this as Acts 7:4 states Terah was dead when Abraham left Haran. So 70 + 75 = 145 years in total. However, Gen 11:32 states he lived 205 years.

God promises Abraham the land of Canaan to live in - Gen 17:8

God did not allow Abraham to live in the promised land - Acts 7:5, Heb 11:8,9,13

Jacob's offspring in Egypt totalled 70 - Gen 46:26-27, Ex 1:5

Jacob's offspring in Egypt totalled 75 - Acts 7:14

Jacob was buried in a cave in Machpelah's field that was bought from Ephron the Hittite - Gen 50:13

Jacob was buried in a tomb at Shechem bought from the sons of Hamor - Acts 7:15-16

The Hebrews dwelt in Egypt for 430 years - Ex 12:40

The Hebrews dwelt in Egypt for 400 years - Acts 7:6

God's plague kills 24,000 - Num 25:9

God's plague kills 23,000 - 1 Cor 10:8

The Hebrews' journeying - Mount Hor (where Aaron dies), Zalmonah, Punon - Num 33:37,38,41,42

The Hebrews' journeying - Beeroth Benejaakan, Moserah (where Aaron dies), Gudgodah, Jotbathah - Deut 10:6,7

God forbids killing - Ex 20:13

God commands killing - Ex 32:27

Solomon's reign.

Acts 13:16-22 numbers the years from when the Hebrews left Egypt to David beginning his reign as 40 (Wilderness) + 450 (Judges) + 40 (Saul) = 530 years. According to 1 Chron 29:27, David reigned 40 years, so Solomon became king (when David died) 530 + 40 years (of David's reign) = 570 years. However, 1 Kings 6:1 states Solomon's 4th year of rule (when he began the Temple building) was 480 years after the Hebrews left Egypt, ie. he began his rule 476 years after the Hebrews left. Therefore there is a contradiction of (570 - 476) 94 years.

Saul inquired of God, but God did not answer him - 1 Sam 28:6

Saul died because he did not seek guidance from God - 1 Chron 10:13,14

Jesse had eight children - 1 Sam 16:10-13

Jesse had seven children - 1 Chron 2:13-15

David slays Goliath - 1 Sam 17:4,7,50

Elhanan slays Goliath - 2 Sam 21:19

Joram his son, Ahaziah his son, Joash his son, Amaziah his son, Azariah his son, Jotham his son - 1 Chron 3:11,12

Joram the father of Uzziah, and Uzziah the father of Jotham - Matt 1:8,9

Asa removes the high places - 2 Chron 14:2

Asa did not remove the high places - 1 Kings 15:11-14

Uzzah dies at the threshing-floor of Nacon - 2 Samuel 6:6

Uzzah dies at the threshing-floor of Chidon - 1 Chron 13:9

David takes 1700 horsemen - 2 Sam 8:4

David takes 7000 horsemen - 1 Chron 18:4

David destroys 700 chariots - 2 Sam 10:18

David destroys 7000 chariots - 1 Chron 19:18

Satan incites David to number the people - 1 Chron 21:1

God incites David to number the people - 2 Sam 24:1

Joab's numbering of the army. 1,100,00 soldiers in Israel; 470,000 soldiers in Judah - 1 Chron 21:5

Joab's numbering of the army. 800,000 soldiers in Israel; 500,000 in Judah - 2 Sam 24:9

David buys the land for the altar from Ornan for 600 shekels of gold - 1 Chron 21:24-25

David buys the land for the altar from Araunah for 50 shekels - 2 Sam 24:24

Solomon had 4,000 stalls and 12,000 horsemen - 2 Chron 9:25

Solomon had 40,000 stalls and 12,000 horsemen - 1 Kings 4:26

The Temple pillars were 18 cubits - 1 Kings 7:15

The Temple pillars were 35 cubits - 2 Chron 3:15

The molten sea held 2000 baths - 1 Kings 7:23,26

The molten sea held over 3000 baths - 2 Chron 4:2,5

The importance of wisdom - Proverbs 4:7

The unimportance of wisdom - 1 Cor 1:19

The joy of wisdom - Proverbs 3:13-15

The misery of wisdom - Ecc 1:18

How the righteous suffer like the wicked - Ecc 9:2, Isaiah 57:1

How the righteous flourish - Psalm 92:12-13

No ills befall the righteous - Proverbs 12:21

How the righteous suffer - Job 12:4,6, Hebrews 11:35-37

The wicked will die prematurely and will suffer - Psalm 55:23, Proverbs 10:27, Job 18:5,11,18,19

The wicked lifespan is long and they enjoy life - Psalm 73:3-5,12, Job 21:7-9

Man is to be holy - Leviticus 11:44, 19:2, 20:7

Only God is holy - Revelation 15:4

Drinking alcohol is acceptable - Deuteronomy 14:26, John 2:7-11, 1 Timothy 5:23

Drinking alcohol is not acceptable - Proverbs 20:1, 23:31-34, Hosea 4:11

Jehoiachin was 8 years old when he began his reign - 2 Chron 36:9

Jehoiachin was 18 years old when he began his reign - 2 Kings 24:8

The captain takes 5 men of the king's council - 2 Kings 25:19

The captain takes 7 men of the king's council - Jeremiah 52:25

Baasha dies and his son Ela begins his reign over Israel - this was in the 26th year of king Asa of Judah - 1 Kings 16:6,8

In the 36th year of Asa's reign, Baasha attacks Judah - 2 Chron 16:1

NB. 2 Chron has Baasha still fighting 10 years after 1 Kings says he died!

The infancy narratives.

According to Luke 2:21-39, Jesus is taken to the Jerusalem Temple eight days after he is born; the family then go up to Nazareth. In Matt 2:14-23, after being born the family flee in Egypt and stay there until Herod dies; even on returning, they avoid Judea and go up to Nazareth.

Jesus began ministry after John the Baptist is imprisoned - Mark 1:14,15,17

Jesus's began ministry whilst John was free and before imprisoned - John 1:28-29, 3:25-30

Jesus baptised - John 3:22

Jesus did not baptise - John 4:2

The exorcism of Legion - being 2 men - Matt 8:28

The exorcism of Legion - being 1 man - Mark 5:1,2

The healing on leaving Jericho was 1 blind man - Mark 10:46,47

The healing on leaving Jericho was 2 blind men - Matt 20:29,30

No one has ascended into heaven before Jesus - John 3:13

Elijah ascended into heaven - 2 Kings 2:11

Respect for parents taught - Exodus 20:12, Leviticus 19:3, Deuteronomy 5:16, Ephesians 6:1-2

Disrespect and rejection of parents taught - Matt 8:21- 22, 10:37, 19:29, 23:9, Luke 12:51,53, 14:26

People choose not to come to Jesus - John 5:40

People can only come to Jesus if God wills it - John 6:44

Jesus judges - John 5:22,27, 9:39, 2 Corinthians 5:10

Jesus does not judge - John 8:15, 12:47

Christians to hate their brothers - - Luke 14:26

Whoever hates their brother cannot have eternal life - 1 John 3:15

Jesus refuses to give signs - Matt 12:38,39, Mark 8:12, Luke 11:29

Jesus did give signs - John 3:2, 20:30, Acts 2:22

Man judged/saved by faith - John 3:15,16,36, 5:24, 20:31, Acts 2:21, 16:30,31, Rom 1:17, 5:1,9,11,18, 10:9, Gal 2:16, Phil 3:9, Eph 2:8,9

Man judged/saved by works and lifestyle - Psalm 62:12, Proverbs 24:12, Matt 7:21, 16:27, 19:16,17, 25:31- 46, Luke 14;13-14, John 5:29, Acts 10:35, Rom 2:6,7,9,10, 1 Cor 3:8

One of the disciples was lost - John 17:12

None of the disciple were lost - John 18:9

Jesus refers to David eating the consecrated bread in the time of Abithar - Mark 2:25,26

In fact David ate the consecrated bread in the time of Ahimelech - 1 Sam 21:1-6

Disciples sent out not to wear sandals - Matt 10:9,10

Disciples sent out to wear sandals - Mark 6:8,9

No man can retain the spirit after death - Eccles 8:8

Peter restores spirit of Tabitha after death - Acts 9:37,40

Believers not to worry about providing for family - Luke 14:26,33, 18:29,30

Believers must provide for family - 1 Timothy 5:8

Jesus did not bear witness to himself - John 5:31

Jesus did bear witness to himself - John 8:14,18

The law/commandments to remain for ever - Matt 5:17-19, Luke 16:17

The law has ended - Romans 7:4, Eph 2:15, Col 2:14

Simon and Andrew's home was in Capernaum - Mark 1:21,29

Simon and Andrew's home was in the same place as Philip's - Bethsaida - John 1:44

God has given all things into Jesus' hands - John 3:35

God has not given all things into Jesus' hands - Matt 20:23, John 5:19

Everyone sins - 2 Chronicles 6:36, Ecclesiastes 7:20, Rom 3:10,12,23

Believers do not sin - 1 John 3:6,9, 5:18

The anointing and entry into Jerusalem.

Matt and Mark detail how Jesus rode into Jerusalem in Matt 20:1-13, Mark 11:1-11. It was after this that he was anointed at Bethany - Matt 26:6-16, Mark 14:3- 11. But in John he is anointed (12:1-8) and it is after this that he rides into Jerusalem (12:12-15).

The Last Supper.

The Synoptics make it clear this was the Passover meal - Matt 26:19, Mark 14:16, Luke 22:13. However in John, the meal was held on the day before the Passover - 13:29, and states that even after the meal the Passover had still not begun - 18:28. Moreover, even after the trial, it was the Preparation day for the Passover - 19:31

Peter denies Jesus before the ###### crows - Luke 22:34, John 12:38

Peter denies Jesus before the ###### crows twice - Mark 14:30, 14:72

Peter is warned he will deny Jesus after the last supper and having left the upper room - Matt 26:20-34, Mark 14:17-30

Peter is warned he will deny Jesus during the last supper before leaving the upper room - Luke 22:33-39, John 13:37-38/ 18:1

Jesus' trial before the sanhedrin was at night and in morning he was taken to Pilate - Matt 26:57-68, 27:1-2

Jesus' trial before the sanhedrin and being taken to Pilate was in the morning - Luke 22:66-71, 23:1

Simon of Cyrene carries Jesus' cross - Matt 27:32

Jesus carries his cross - John 19:17,18

Jesus was physically descended from David - Romans 1:1- 3.

The genealogies in Matt 1:1-16 and Luke 3:23-38 both attempt to link Jesus with Joseph to give Jesus a place in the Davidic line (which was necessary for messiahship). However, if virgin born, Joseph would have had nothing to do with the conception and any physical/human descent would be through Mary: Jesus' only contact with humanity if virgin born. However, Luke 1:36 says Mary was related to Elizabeth who was of the Aaronic line (Luke 1:5), not the Davidic line. Therefore, if virgin born, Jesus did not have Davidic descent (a prerequisite for messiah- ship).

Both robbers revile Jesus - Matt 27:44

Only one robber reviles Jesus and the other believes - Luke 23:41-43

Jesus tells the believing robber he will be with him in paradise that day - Luke 23:43

Jesus was in the grave following his death and did not ascend to heaven - Acts 2:24,31, John 20:17

God forsakes Jesus - Mark 15:34

Jesus is inseparable from God - John 10:30, 14:10, 16:32

The confirmation Jesus is dead.

In Mark 15:43-45, Joseph of Arimathea asks Pilate for Jesus' body, and Pilate is unaware of whether he is dead; only after sending a centurion and receiving this confirmation does he allow Joseph to take the body. However in John 19:31-33,38, Pilate actually authorises the leg-breaking to ensure they have all died and then authorises Joseph to remove the body. NB. Mark 15:42 states it was evening, ie. the sabbath had already begun (beginning at sundown) when Joseph asks for the body. However, burial was not allowed on the sabbath, showing the fictitiousness of the story.

What you have listed is differences in perspective and observations of men. They do not point out lies, but instead brings to light the shortcomings of men, not God.

Originally posted by strawberry66

The confirmation Jesus is dead.

In Mark 15:43-45, Joseph of Arimathea asks Pilate for Jesus' body, and Pilate is unaware of whether he is dead; only after sending a centurion and receiving this confirmation does he allow Joseph to take the body. However in John 19:31-33,38, Pilate actually authorises the leg-breaking to ensure they have all died and then authorises Joseph to remove the body. NB. Mark 15:42 states it was evening, ie. the sabbath had already begun (beginning at sundown) when Joseph asks for the body. However, burial was not allowed on the sabbath, showing the fictitiousness of the story.

When Jesus came he set forth a new set of rules for believers to follow. One of those things was work on the sabbath, which Jesus did himself. The fact that Joseph wanted to bury him on the Sabbath does not discredit anything but shows that he is willing to resist and rebel the things that Jesus set forth to change.

I never said lies, thats the word you chose to use. I said contradictions, which they are. Ive found that most Christians I meet customize their faith to suit their desired lifestyle. You cant explain away everything based on faith.

A well articulated stance on possible flaws in the carbon 14 dating method. Unfortunately the Young Earthers will need to dispel the other forty or so different radiometric dating methods and the scores of other methods such as tree rings and ice cores. Until that time I shall maintain confidence in the scientific method.

The medical community uses similar technology to detect and treat cancer, that having been said, do you question the legitimacy of such cancer treatments?

:cat:

With the cancer treatments you have a method and a result. You see what it did and you can measure the results.

In using it to test or calculate a measurement for something 200 billion years ago, you have to base your findings on assumptions. You have to assume that what you're doing is relevent. Because there are no knowns.

If that makes any sense? :shrug: LOL.

Originally posted by strawberry66

I never said lies, thats the word you chose to use. I said contradictions, which they are. Ive found that most Christians I meet customize their faith to suit their desired lifestyle. You cant explain away everything based on faith.

You're right, you did not use the word "lies." But you're implying it because you're not taking into account the fact that human error has occurred.

I am a believer that the bible is devinely inspired. But I also fall in line with the given that humans, even when directed by God, will muck some things up. It's ouor nature. What can I say.

So I guess I'm trying to have it both ways. It is devinely inspired, and it shows the markings of human intervention.

The acceptance that we evolved has to be accepted on faith by the evolutionists. Evolution is a THEORY meaning that there is just as much proof of it occuring as there is the Creation. I could say that aliens planted us here and have just as much proof of my theory as evolutionists and creationists have. All theories on creation are accepted by their respective believers on faith, because there is no proof of any of them.

O.K., I will admit that there is one form of evolution that I am in favor of and do support whole-heartedly-----------------

Mitsubishi's Evolution VIII! 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and a price tag of less than $30,000! What a steal!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I was a little drained from these thought provoking notions.