What, no more Baseball Card shops in the Tyler vicinity ???

cheaptrick77

I ventured out on 110 South this afternoon, only to find out that the only Tyler area Baseball Card shop was no longer there .......... nothing but a big THIS SPACE FOR RENT sign.

I had to go to Ground Zero to purchase my 9-pocket notebook sheets.

Another casualty of the Internet age, I suppose .......... :cry:

Originally posted by MantleLives4Ever
Originally posted by sppunk

I have a Babe Ruth (as a Red Sox, mind you!) card, and a signed Mickey Mantle rookie card. BOOOYA COLSTON! :)

Prove it.

It's in a safety security box in my parent's hometown. No way I'll keep those around my lovely little apartment!

I think it's a 1917 card ... I haven't seen it in ages. My grandfather willed it to me, along with the Mantle rookie and a baseball signed by most of the '28 Yankees, when he passed a few years ago.

I loved my grandfather ... too bad he had season tickets to watch the Yankees play for 63 years!

• 10 years later...

OK, it is my turn to dig deep into the SDC archives... #dusty

'sez here that there is a Card Shop in Longview called Sports Card Shop - on Gilmer Road.

Can anyone confirm and recommend ???

Going to Hastings just ain't the same as going to Benchwarmers or Allan's was. Hadden's Sandwich shop had the old cardboard longboxes. Depending on the Beckett you could get alot of cards for a buck. I mean if an old Topps Ed Too Tall Jones was a quarter a little kids allowance could go along way. The mylar smell. The "gum" that if you dared to chew it tasted like a baseball card. Great memories. Kids need a place like that nowadays.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a sports card store in years. I don't even see them in convenience stores anymore. I think the likes of Fleer, Donruss, Upper Deck, and Pro Set destroyed the collecting of baseball cards. While many people don't like a monopoly, Topp's made card collecting fun and valuable.

I only recall one baseball card shop in Longview when I was growing up, but they also had old comic books, and a coinless arcade (you paid $3 an hour to play Sega games) that was next to the Hastings cater-cornered from the loop from the mall by Hastings. In Tyler, I remember two one on Paluxy Dr. behind the old KTBB/Liang's building and around the corner from Hastings, and the one on 5th Street. I liked the guy at the Paluxy Dr. location, because he didn't charge an arm and a leg for some of the vintage cards that I wanted. He made me reasonable offers on cards, but I never sold any to him.