People in Tyler

Voted4Dubya

tell me if anyone has noticed this, and tell me if it is not unique only to Tyler. But have you ever noticed that when your out and about in Tyler, no matter where (driving, shopping, eating, etc.), people act like they are the only ones that exist.

For example, I observe a lot working at Target, and a big thing I have noticed is that there is almost no communication between other people. A person with a buggy (and maybe a kid) usually says nothing to anyone, nor do they even acknowledge that anyone else besides them is in the store. You should see how many times people's carts collide because most people dont look out for anything, because they think they are the only ones and that everyone else will get out of the way, and vice versa.

And I notice this everywhere I go. Being from a small town, this was never the case, so maybe thats just the way it is in bigger cities like Tyler.

you are going to get that in a bigger town. Tyler has always been like that for years. You would be surprised how many people from small towns are in Tyler. I think they change when they cross the city limits:w00t:

This is very true Soccer! When i moved he there was a signifigant change in the way the people acted in my old homestead to my new here in tyler! Some of them you have to talk to first to get anything out of them, they are scared, well atleast scared to talk to people they dont know! As most people would say, the ice just needs a little breaking and the people wont seem so bad! If not, just kill them with kindness, it always works!

True and true FreshClub.

I don't really notice what V4D is talking about, but I notice something very similar though. I notice people who look like they think they stand higher than everyone. People who think all of their needs and/or wants come 1st before anyone else's. There is a guy that comes into Applebee's all the time that I can't stand because he thinks he's better than everyone. He never smiles or anything and is rude. The other day he was in there and someone put on some lotion by him and he could smell it. He got all p'oed about it and gets up and goes accross the restaurant because he didn't like it and was talking trash about whoever did it. He said that he should go blow cigar smoke right in her freakin' face. What a freakin' jerk!!

Originally posted by Voted4Dubya

tell me if anyone has noticed this, and tell me if it is not unique only to Tyler. But have you ever noticed that when your out and about in Tyler, no matter where (driving, shopping, eating, etc.), people act like they are the only ones that exist.

For example, I observe a lot working at Target, and a big thing I have noticed is that there is almost no communication between other people. A person with a buggy (and maybe a kid) usually says nothing to anyone, nor do they even acknowledge that anyone else besides them is in the store. You should see how many times people's carts collide because most people dont look out for anything, because they think they are the only ones and that everyone else will get out of the way, and vice versa.

And I notice this everywhere I go. Being from a small town, this was never the case, so maybe thats just the way it is in bigger cities like Tyler.

AWH someone needs a hug!

Originally posted by Colligula

Do yall ever notice that no matter what time of day it is, there is always traffic.

LOL.....I notice that all the time. Does anyone every work? There is always traffic...all day long.

How many times are you walking down the mall and if you didn't move you would run right into people.......that makes me mad!

Originally posted by Voted4Dubya

have you ever noticed that when your out and about in Tyler, no matter where (driving, shopping, eating, etc.), people act like they are the only ones that exist.

I have noticed that people tend to be this way in all larger cities, while in most small towns there is more interaction in public places.

One day last summer I actually tried to stop and talk to people on the street in downtown Fort Worth and I would say about 95% of the people completely ignored me. I lost $10 cause my buddy bet me the majority of people would ignore me. He was trying to act like a genius since he had just got his psych degree.

Originally posted by SOCCERBUFF
Originally posted by Colligula

Do yall ever notice that no matter what time of day it is, there is always traffic.

LOL.....I notice that all the time. Does anyone every work? There is always traffic...all day long.

How many times are you walking down the mall and if you didn't move you would run right into people.......that makes me mad!

That is expected. Tyler has an estimated 90,000 people inside its city limits and tens of thousands more in Smith County. Take into account that Tyler is actually smaller in area than Longview, which has just 73,000 people with far more overpasses and four- and five-lane north-south streets.

I heard that a certain area engineer from decades ago decided that he didn't want overpasses in Tyler, and that was that. Tyler desperately needs a north-south controlled access highway. I measured one day, and it took 14 minutes to drive from Cumberland Drive to Front Street on South Broadway. That's not good, considering it takes about six minutes to drive from Hewitt-Robinson to the Brazos River in Waco. The city of Tyler really isn't very big, area-wise, but it's just so densely populated and congested.

Austin's biggest problem is that there is no alternative to I-35 and no real east-west freeways either. San Antonio's traffic is the best among Texas big cities because it was built for it, and there are several arteries.

And by the way, Loop 49 is not going to alleviate traffic at 323 and Broadway.

Yeah, but there's nothing you can do about it. A traffic signal is needed at Crystal Farms Road and North Hill Street (Hwy. 149), but there hasn't been enough fatalities at the intersection. I wish Hwy. 149 was redone so that the gutters didn't scrap a car's undercarriage when entering/exiting nearby businesses. I also wish that Highway 43 east looked as nice as Highway 43 west, because the railroad underpass is hideous and the rows of trailers doesn't help.

I knew a guy from Jefferson who one day told me, "Whenever I drove to Austin or Henderson, I always thought Tatum was the smallest, ugliest town in the world. But when I was driving from Carthage to Longview one day, I was shocked. It was night and day."