Longview VS. Tyler

Voted4Dubya

Longview and Tyler are so different, they cater to different types of people. Longview is best for accessibility, traffic, TREES, population density, public school facilities, school district choices, cost of living and character. Tyler has better health care, aesthetics, education, small business opportunities, entertainment and growth. I prefer working in Longview, but a lot of my friends are in Tyler. Tyler has always been a sizable small city. Longview kind of "sprung forth" in the 1930s and 40s, and because of that has done well considering Tyler's head start. Oh, and Longview has a longer airport runway and covers more area.

tyler i think.. bigger.. more opportunities for jobs and places to go.. it's just up and coming... i like it better. i've been around longview more.. and it just seems to get a little trashier every year. not all of it but a lot of it just doesn't sit well with me

Originally posted by The Spirit!

Longview is a very ugly town....lots more crime than Tyler......Its just not as good as Tyler ....

Actually, Tyler has more of the high-profile crime and has the auto-theft increases. Longview has 80.3 with a high school education, compared to 78.8 percent in Tyler. The median household income isn't very different — Tyler $34,163, Longview $33,858. Tyler's estimated July 2002 population is 87,030 within 49.3 square miles. Longview's is 74,330 with 54.7 square miles.

During high school I usually went to Longview more often, mainly for traffic reasons. Now that I live in Tyler, I am getting used to the area. There have been a couple of shootings at our apartment complex though.:unsure:

The folks in Gregg County aren't chuckling about it, but there is a certain "mm-hmm" going around considering that most Tylerites are of the assumption that Longview is a crime haven. I know every location in Longview, just about, and I feel safe to walk down every single street — from Fourth Street to Highland avenue and Nelson Street. If Tylerites feel the same way, then there's no problem.

Originally posted by FreshClub22

longview has so much better people, and golf courses, and so much eaiser to get through traffic...Tyler might be bigger, but longview is a way better city

Hmm ok traffic is soo bad bc of the construction, and have you ever been to ALL of the golf courses in Tyler?? Doubtful, there are so many! And people, ehh theyre are good and bad in both cities, you just have to know the right people so to speak!

Traffic in Tyler is bad when NO construction is under way. Tyler has a few thousand more people than Longview and they're all squished into a city significantly smaller than Longview. Because of that, you are going to have a nightmarish traffic problem.

Lived in both (well, White Oak, but whatever) for some time. Let me just say: I felt WAY more safe in Longview.

In Tyler, I didn't feel safe at all. I've been/lived in big-time cities. I feel safer walking around New York City at midnight than in Tyler ... I can't explain why really, but I just do.

Tyler has a LOT of shady characters. Longview's a much more accessible city as well, with better restaurants and not as bad traffic. I prefer Tyler for various other reasons (shopping in Longview is really, really bad), but if I had a family and raised kids they wouldn't be living in Tyler, I can assure you.

I also think LHS kicks the mess out of both JT and REL in a multitude of ways. That said, WO kicks them all. :)

Originally posted by Eizek

The folks in Gregg County aren't chuckling about it, but there is a certain "mm-hmm" going around considering that most Tylerites are of the assumption that Longview is a crime haven. I know every location in Longview, just about, and I feel safe to walk down every single street — from Fourth Street to Highland avenue and Nelson Street. If Tylerites feel the same way, then there's no problem.

Eizek NAILED IT !!

I'll walk ANYWHERE in Longview...at anytime and have done so with no problems whatsoever.

Many Tylerites would NEVER do the same within certain parts

of their city limits.

RJ