How many of you remember these places in Tyler?

Agdad

The Derrick

Weber's Root Beer

Zuider Zee

Captain Spaceburger

Jerry's Cafe

Rose Garden Drive in

Fun Forest Miniature Golf

Courtesy Nissan

Andrews-Riverie

Meyer & Schmidt

Hurwitz Men's Shop

Vaughns Bakery

Weingarten's

Antione's Record Store

Montgomery Wards

Gibson's

The Counter

Red Acker's

Duemont's Mister Burger

The Tiki(loved that #4-chili cheese with onions)

Cade's Lumber Co. (remember the fire?)

Pope & Turner Furniture

Bill Atkins and KGKB Radio

Neil-Simpson Drug Stores

The Tyler, Liberty, and Arcadia Theaters

Brookshire & Johnston Feed Store

I remember these (most at a very young age) :

Rose Garden Drive in

Courtesy Nissan

Hurwitz Men's Shop

Montgomery Wards

Gibson's

Red Acker's

The Tiki

Cade's Lumber Co.

Pope & Turner Furniture

Bill Atkins (KGKB was before my time)

The Tyler Theater

The rest I know only through stories from my parents and grandparents :)

Here are some more:

Melody Shop

Skillern's Drug Store

T.G. & Y.

John Bass on sports

Molitor's Toy Store

The Original Magazine And Book Store

El Sombrero

Burgers, Fries And Greens

Record Town

Lettuce Works

The Red Barn (restaurant)

Perry's

Odoms Food Store (deep south Tyler - where Texas Bank & Trust now sits)

Hightower Lumber Co.

Men's softball at Fun Forest

Softball at Northside on the Loop - where old pieces of tire, cans and bottles would appear in the infield since they built it on a landfill.

The Tiki used to have those chicken fried steak sandwiches where the meat stuck out an inch and 1/2 out from the bun .... all the way around the bun.

I used to be full ... and I hadn't eaten a bite of the bun yet!!! :smile2:

How about Kip Kippenbrock with his cheesy "pencil-thin"

moustache handling the weather on KLTV ??

The few times my family visited Tyler when I was a

young lad we would invariably happen upon the

Rose Garden Drive In.

My late great dad really liked that place.

RJ

I bet every single one of these places you guys are mentioning beat the hell out of the stripmall chains that Tyler's infested with now.

It's a shame all towns look the same.

Edit: Let me say I'm not pointing out Tyler directly. I mean every city in America has done this, destroyed local flavor for national blandness.

Some day in the not so distant future people will be reminiscing about the time when there were more than 8 global corporate entities. “I remember the time when we could choose between three grocery stores and remember the gas price wars among the convenience stores; boy, those were the days.”.....:updown:

:cat:

Kip Kippenbrock was the weatherman on local tv, and sometimes used to do the weather from the top of one of the hotels in downtown Tyler (now across the street from the City Jail).

He'd be in his swimming trucks with a couple of young ladies in their "one-piece swimsuits" .. I believe they were one-piece .. after all, this was back int he early 60's conservative East Texas. Anyway ... he'd give the weather from the heated pool ... in the middle of winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 12 years later...
  • 2 months later...

The first credit card I ever received was at Montgomery Ward's.  Other's El Chico, Wyatt's Cafeteria, Hasting's, Pancho's, Cace's, Pelican's, Mardi Gras, Fat Cat's Sharkey's, Musicland, Finn's (David used to do remotes there), Hickory Fare, Hank's Discount Fine Furniture, Sbarro, and Gaslight Movie Theater.  

Here's an old commercial by Jeff Dunham in the big city of Tyler, TX in 1980.  It's in the article :  http://awesomejelly.com/jeff-dunhams-1980-car-commercial-makes-the-internet-smile/

22 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Hank's had memorable commercials.  

I worked there for 6 months in 1996.  He gave everyone a $500 Christmas bonus, and was a really nice guy from Arkansas.  He lost the Tyler, Longview, Texarkana, and Shreveport stores in his divorce.  I hated that for the guy.  Another place I remember is JJ's Videos on Troup Hwy and 5th and the Loop.  They would let you get bags of popcorn with your movie rental from their pop corn machine.  I forgot the name of the Baseball Card shop at Paluxy and the Loop and the one on 5th St..  Tyler also had two Hot Biscuits one on Broadway, and one on Gentry and the Loop.  

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I worked there for 6 months in 1996.  He gave everyone a $500 Christmas bonus, and was a really nice guy from Arkansas.  He lost the Tyler, Longview, Texarkana, and Shreveport stores in his divorce.  I hated that for the guy.  Another place I remember is JJ's Videos on Troup Hwy and 5th and the Loop.  They would let you get bags of popcorn with your movie rental from their pop corn machine.  I forgot the name of the Baseball Card shop at Paluxy and the Loop and the one on 5th St..  Tyler also had two Hot Biscuits one on Broadway, and one on Gentry and the Loop.  

Nacogdoches used to have a Kettle that later turned into a Hot Biscuit ... I used to eat breakfast and/or drink coffee there a lot before I joined the AF back in the 70s .... they had some really nice waitresses .... my favorite ran off with the short order cook ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • LOL! 1

• 2 years later...

I was a cook at the Tiki on both Broadway and 5th Street. There was a Woolworth’s on the  downtown square where you could get a chocolate or cherry coke at the fountain.  Don’t forget Faust’s BBQ and convenient store in Green Acres Shopping Center.  And then there were those cheap burritos at El Sombrero.  What did they put in that sauce in the squeeze bottles at Gilbert’s El Charro?  The original Der Wienerschnitzel wasn’t bad if you didn’t think about what goes into hot dogs.

• Like 1