Your band size

Wondered what the average band size is now. Friday nights, I see the bands aren't as big as they were when I played.

When I was at Spring Hill, back in the yonder years, band director pulled up some out of the junior high band and we marched and were in concert... we had a little over 100, I think it was - boy, those were some eye-opening years for a very young junior high person to be in the high school band!

Of course back then, you didn't have to buy your own instruments.... the good ole days!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My freshman year at Carthage (fall 1991), we marched 245 our first football game of the year at Palestine. It was awesome to be in a band of that size. I believe we took about 8 school buses to get us all to where we were going. Carthage's student population has dropped and so has the band size. I wish the students in band now could experience that feeling I had when we took the field. I have heard they are in the 130-150 range for this football season.

My band this year will start out with around 105...then it will shrink due to failures and lack of comitment...

parentofredheads have you ever seen a band like Allans? 500+ member band...awesome sight to see...they take up the whole feild endzone to endzone

Last football season, Center started out with around 123...But, due to grades, attitudes, whatever...we marched 81. I think this year there's supposed to be about 116. I'm really excited for them, the freshman class is great. Possibly the best of the band (how often do u hear that?!)

As far as buying instruments, certain instruments in Center have to be bought but others are furnished. When I started out, I bought my own alto but I moved to tenor and played a not-so-good school horn. When they realized that I was serious and had potential, they bought me a 6000 dollar nice one! That was my BABY! Oh lordy, I hated to give that thing back...Ain't that pitiful?

Pantsonfire, that is so cool! It was down right freaky to visit your administration building and see all the "kids" I went to school with, not to mention the majority of the board members - that's just weird... I am so glad my alma mater doesn't make the students furnish their instruments - things are still good in Panther World!

TexasHurdler, where the heck is Allan's? Hey, to me, the band absolutely makes the football game....if the school has a great band, it just seems it helps the team for some reason.

Harmony's picked up a bit since they got the new band director. THey may be small, but their sound is a whole lot better!

it helps the team for some reason.

Harmony's picked up a bit since they got the new band director. THey may be small, but their sound is a whole lot better!

and actually the band has grown quite a bit the last year... this year is going to be a good one for our band

Jasper has roughly 120 but i'm pretty sure some people didn't show up for summer band so that number will fall off...

NSU has about 250 currently enrolled not including guard and the purple pizzazz...but when you add them together, the band will be over 300 i suppose...

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Texashurdler

What happened? Palestine i thought yall had a decent sized band?

Ours has gone down ones again to just over 70-75...we did have over 100

We've fielded small bands ever since I've been in high school. This year is the smallest, but our sound is actually very good...

Originally posted by woodgie07
Originally posted by Texashurdler

What happened? Palestine i thought yall had a decent sized band?

Ours has gone down ones again to just over 70-75...we did have over 100

We've fielded small bands ever since I've been in high school. This year is the smallest, but our sound is actually very good...

Us too we have excellent sound...Trombones are by far the loudest!! My section...and there are only 3 of us!!!