The Official East Texas needs a professional Hockey team Thread

CalallenWildcat

Originally posted by coachb

how much seating does the oil palace have when all the floor space is used for an event? it doesnt seem like much.

Can't recall...it's been a long time since I've been in the building. Regulation ice surface measures 200' X 85' plus the bench area on one side. Then you've got to have room for the refrigeration equipment, zamboni garage and team dressing rooms. All of that will probably eat up the entire floor space, plus some.

Yeah -- I've been trying to replay in my mind all of the concerts I've been to in the building . . . I just can't fit a sheet of ice, dressing rooms & 3,500+ fans :no:

A town our size should have a 8,000-10,000 convention center, anyway.

Rhino, the Ford Park idea might work (perhaps between Tyler and Longview). The only obstacle is securing enough funding for that type of project.

Cheaptrick, I'd say the target size for an arena *inside Tyler city limits* would be 5,500, and between Longview and Tyler 6,000. I wouldn't put the arena in Longview, as that is too close to Bossier City for the league's liking. In Tyler, I would advocate an expansion of Harvey Convention Center to include an additional corridor of banquet rooms as well as an arena.

Originally posted by LoboTub9498

IF East Texas got a CHL team, it would be hard for me to root against the Mudbugs. I've been a die-hard fan since 2001 and know several of the booster club members over there. Anyone realize that there IS an East Texas hockey team? It's in Texarkana. IF it were to get the funding, and actually happen, I'd be there. It'd be a matter of getting the word out and getting the fan support built up.

I agree with everything you said about the fan support and such. Texarkana's team is a junior league-equivalent team in the NAHL. But it is NOT an East Texas hockey team. They play at Four States Fairgrounds in Arkansas.

I think between Longview and Tyler would do fine. Cheaptrick and I would have to travel the same distance so neither of us can complain about that :rolleyes: .

But yea 6,000 sounds good to me personally. We could nick name it the Woods (as the CTC is nicknamed the Swamp with the swamp right by it and the ET arena would be in the East Texas Pineywoods..ok that was cheesey LOL)

Originally posted by LoboFan07

I think between Longview and Tyler would do fine. Cheaptrick and I would have to travel the same distance so neither of us can complain about that

The Gladewater Glaciers ??? :ermm:

:whome:

• 4 months later...

Galveston does have a team.....in Corpus Christi. I think if there was a team in Galveston, it'd be too close where both teams would hurt for attendance.

Could also be said about the Mudbugs and a team in the Tyler/Longview area though.

plus, Houston has the Aeros. That might hurt Galveston's bid for a team too...IF there was one. But, I'm all for more teams, as long as it doesn't get watered down. And, yeah, you're right about Longview/Bossier being close, that could hurt our chances for a team too....plus Fort Worth is still "close".

plus, Houston has the Aeros. That might hurt Galveston's bid for a team too...IF there was one. But, I'm all for more teams, as long as it doesn't get watered down. And, yeah, you're right about Longview/Bossier being close, that could hurt our chances for a team too....plus Fort Worth is still "close".

Well we might have to rule out the FW factor now...especially if they can't come to term with the city and the arena and such. I seriously doubt we'll see them back in the CHL. Just a hunch, hope I'm wrong.

I think the Brahmas WILL be back next year. IF they aren't, then that just might open the door for an East Texas team....who knows. It would be cool to have one here, but I would still be a die-hard Mudbugs fan. I couldn't root against them.

• 5 weeks later...