COLLEGE FOOTBALL TRIVIA

cheaptrick77

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

What two teams were added to the Southeastern Conference (SEC) in 1992?

Actually, it was 1991 (1st season played was 1992) - they were Arkansas (from the old SWC) and the University of South Carolina Gamecocks (former indy'). The SEC was then divided into "divisions" (like the Big XII is now).

What college team has a mascot known as the "Zips?"

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Originally posted by blip

What college baseball game scored the most points ever?

This is the question that is in play now.

And I will say that the answer is 29 set by Muhlenberg College, once in 1954 (v. St. Joseph) and once in 1997 (v. Swathmore).

Which is correct, blip?

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Who was the last LINEMEN to win the heisman trophy?

Well, I wasn't sure what to do here. There seems to be two questions in play and I figured that since one of them is a baseball question and this is a college football board that I would answer the college football one and see if that was ok with you guys.

I believe Leon Hart of Notre Dame was the last lineman to win the Heisman Trophy.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There are no Interior Lineman on either side of the ball to win the Heisman.

Without looking it up, can you name Doug Fluties' jersey number when he was at BC. Think of all the times you've seen the Hail Mary!

How many heisman trophy winners has Boston College produced?

OK Immortal, I'll give it a shot

1869 - Princeton

or is it

1936 - Minnesota - first year for the AP.

Also read where the NCAA started in 1905

but did not take on it's current name until 1910

and did not have it's first championship until 1921

and that was the National Track and Field Championships.

If that was their first year for a football champion then

I'll go with Cal. Thanks, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The answere is 6

The award went to University of Chicago running back Jay Berwanger, who had rushed for 577 yards, passed for 405 yards, returned kickoffs for 359 yards, scored 6 touchdowns and added five extra points for 41 points.

Jay Berwanger

star halfback at the University of Chicago and first winner of the Heisman Trophy in 1935; first pick at the first National Football League draft in 1936; multi-talented player, he helped lead the Maroons when they were part of the Big Ten; not sure what to do with his Downtown Athletic Club Award (renamed Heisman in 1936) he gave it to his aunt, who reportedly used it as a doorstop for years (it's now kept by his alma mater); sculpture on Heisman Trophy is based on a photo of him; drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles, but Bears coach George Halas bought his rights; his asking price of $25,000 over two seasons was too much and he never signed a contract, instead taking a job as a foam-rubber salesman; inducted into College Football Hall of Fame in 1954. He died of lung cancer.

Died: Oak Brook, Ill., June 26

-----More interesting info but no touchdown info I can find--------------

He was born John Jay Berwanger in 1914 in Dubuque, Iowa. In high school, he excelled at wrestling and track as well as football, winning renown as an all-state halfback. After graduation, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Purdue all tried to recruit him, but he opted for Chicago, which had offered only a basic tuition scholarship of $300 a year. To meet his expenses, Berwanger waited tables, cleaned the gymnasium, ran elevators and fixed leaky toilets. "Times were tough then," he said in 1986. "I wanted to attend a school that would give me a first-rate education in business, without special treatment, so that I would be prepared when opportunities were certain to return."

During his freshman year, Berwanger was coached by the legendary Amos Alonzo Stagg, who helped define the game of football as we know it today. Berwanger’s first year at Chicago was Stagg’s last. As well as captain of the football team, Berwanger was captain of the track team, senior class president, and head of his fraternity, Psi Upsilon.

Berwanger was the only Heisman recipient who was ever tackled by a future president of the United States–Gerald Ford, during a 1934 game between Chicago and Michigan. "When I tackled Jay in the second quarter, I ended up with a bloody cut and I still have the scar to prove it," Ford recalled. "Jay was most deserving of his Heisman Trophy. He could do it all. He was an outstanding runner as well a passer, he could kick, punt, and make field goals–and in those days the ball was round so it was much harder to throw. He and I had met several times in the years since that game and I remember him fondly as one of the greatest athletes I’ve known."

--------------------

And he was 6'0 195 back in 1936.

Berwanger

University of Chicago, 1935

1st Heisman Trophy™ Winnerhome_picture.jpg----------

He scored at least one in a loss to Ohio State on Nov 9th

----