2005 World Series is lowest-rated ever

cheaptrick77

(but what does the average US televison viewer know anyway?) :whistle:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Chicago White Sox's first world championship in 88 years was also the lowest-rated World Series ever.

Chicago's four-game sweep of the Houston Astros averaged an 11.1 national rating with a 19 share on Fox. That's down about 7 percent from the previous low, an 11.9 with a 20 share for the 2002 World Series between the Anaheim Angels and the San Francisco Giants.

While the 2002 World Series, which went seven games, rated higher overall, it was only averaging an 11.0 through four games.

This year was a drop of almost 30 percent from last year's series, in which the Boston Red Sox swept the St. Louis Cardinals for their first title in 86 years. That had a 15.8 rating with a 25 share.

Wednesday night's 1-0 Chicago win had a 13.0 preliminary national rating with a 21 share. It was the highest-rated prime-time show on Fox since the final of American Idol :ermm: in May, but still not enough to save the series from being the lowest-rated.

Despite rating so low in comparison to other World Series, the four games of this series were each the highest rated prime-time network programs on their respective nights.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

all I can say is: America, you missed arguably the greatest four-game World Series of all-time .......... it’s your loss ;)

Originally posted by Ratface

Now we have to wait four months or so until spring training starts. It's a long winter.

Ah -- it will be here before you know it ! :)

* pitchers and catchers report in 112 days *

We need to spend this off-season trying to attract a Tyler franchise in the American Association !!

It is not surprising that it was the "lowest rated" to me and I figured it would be. Certainly, Boston or NY representation will result in higher viewer ratings, because of a larger fan base. Having two teams from one general geographic (southwest/midwest) area is probably not good either as it appears the SF - Angel series was the previous low.

Yet, I think many Texas or surrounding State "semi" baseball fans watched part of the Series this year, just because Houston was in it when they might not have in prior years.

I thought each of the games was outstanding from a baseball standpoint though (although I didn't like the outcome) and it would be hard to find 3 or even 4 consecutive games that were so close, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my take on why the 2005 World Series was the lowest rated ever. It's because the people at Fox, ESPN and other major networks do nothing but pump up the Yankees, Red Sox, and a few other select teams ALL YEAR LONG. If they provided more balanced coverage throughout the season you would see that more fans around the country be interested when other teams make the series. This World Series had so many great stories in it that it should have been one of the highest rated ones ever.