Steroids redux - and involving a WS MVP?

sppunk

AL Playoff Outfielder Tests Positive for Steroids

USA Today Sports Weekly:

"An American League outfielder on a postseason team tested positive for steroids, according to his agent, but the player is appealing the results."

Certainly interesting, but I didn't make much of it until we talked to Baseball Prospectus' Will Carroll on today's Sports Bloggers Live. Will writes a weekly column for BP that Peter Gammons has called an "industry standard," and he also wrote a book called 'The Juice' earlier this year. His response when told of the rumor?

Carroll: "I really can't talk about it right now. It should be coming out within the next two weeks."

SBL: "Is this a name we're actually going to care about?"

Carroll: "Yes."

SBL: "Is it a World Series champion?"

Carroll: "I really can't talk about it."

SBL: "I would hope not, because that might turn those White Sox black... Will, cough once if he's on the White Sox... Cough twice if it's Gary Sheffield."

Carroll: "I was involved in the appeals process so I can't comment at all."

Here's the full audio interview. The dialogue dictated here takes place between 6:20 and 7:00.

If this is true, there's a 1-in-4 chance someone on the White Sox used steroids this season and then contributed to Chicago's first World Series victory since 1917. And there's a 100% chance a player used and then participated in the playoffs. So... Who was it? And what would Selig do if that player was the World Series MVP or the Game 2 hero? Would it be a Black Sox-level fiasco? Say it ain't so, Jermaine!

Given what we presume to know -- that the guy is in the AL, made the playoffs, is relatively significant and plays outfield -- the list of possibilities is only 12-deep:

· Chicago: Podsednik, Dye, Rowand

· Anaheim: Anderson, Guerrero, Finley

· New York: Matsui, Sheffield, Williams

· Boston: Ramirez, Damon, Nixon

As a fan of the game and none of the teams or players involved here (actually, Vlad is rad), I hope none of them are guilty. But if one is, I certainly hope he isn't on the White Sox.

http://journals.aol.com/dcsportsguy/mrirre...nt/entries/2162

From each team, my guess:

Chicago: Rowand

LAA: Guerrero

NYY: Sheffield

Boston: Nixon

I remember reading somewhere that last month, when the Yanks were in Boston, a drunken Giambi was at a restaurant loudly shooting off his mouth to his table about how Matsui was the biggest juicer in the AL, or something to that effect.

One thing to consider, though - how would 'roids aid in recovering from back injuries? Because there are at least a couple of candidates listed to whom that logic may apply.

If it is Damon, here's a story that would make him look like the biggest #### in the world.

And, it could be Podsednik - I mean, the dude hit two postseason HRs!

And, one more though on this:

A player who failed a steroid test was allowed to play in the post season?

With the consent of Major League Baseball?

That's not good ...

Yeah, more than a black sox scandle, this would be an MLB scandle. Letting Palmeiro appeal and get to a milestone is one thing, allowing the WS outcome to be affected is a whole new ballgame!

Might the Astros get a championship anyway? lol