Braves Name McDowell Pitching Coach

woodgie07

Just saw this on the Braves' website:

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Braves announced today that they have named Roger McDowell as the club's pitching coach. Terms of the deal were not announced. McDowell replaces Leo Mazzone, who joined the Baltimore Orioles staff on October 21.

The 44-year-old McDowell spent the last two seasons as the pitching coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers' Triple-A franchise, the Las Vegas 51s. He was the pitching coach for the Class-A South Georgia Waves in 2002-03.

McDowell was one of the game's premier relievers during a 12-year career that spanned the 1985-96 seasons with the Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Rangers and Orioles. He pitched in 723 games in his big-league career and posted a 70-70 record with 159 saves and a 3.30 ERA. In 1986 he was a member of the Mets' World Championship team and posted a 14-9 record with 22 saves in 75 games out of the bullpen.

"We are absolutely thrilled to add Roger to our staff," Manager Bobby Cox said. "He is one of the true up-and-coming teachers of the game. He has a great knowledge of pitching and the reviews and evaluations we had on him were tremendous. Roger was a great competitor as a player -- he started, he relieved and he even fought through arm problems, so he comes in a with great level of experience that our pitchers will learn from."

"I am very excited and honored by this opportunity to join the Braves coaching staff," McDowell said. "I have such strong respect for Bobby Cox and [braves General Manager] John Schuerholz -- they have built a very highly-regarded organization and one that I am proud to represent. This is a very exciting time for my family and I'm looking forward to meeting the challenges and expectations that are synonymous with Atlanta Braves baseball."

Anyone know anything about him? I imagine he must be good for the Braves to hire him. He has some pretty big shoes to fill...