Guillen, Cox Named Managers Of The Year

chase.colston

NEW YORK (AP) — Ozzie Guillen of the World Series champion Chicago White Sox was voted AL Manager of the Year, and Atlanta's Bobby Cox won the NL award for the second straight year Wednesday after leading the rookie-laden Braves to yet another division title.

Guillen received 17 first-place votes, five seconds and five thirds for 105 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Eric Wedge of the Cleveland Indians was the runner-up with six first-place votes and 71 points, while Joe Torre of the New York Yankees finished third with 43 points.

Cox became the first manager to win two years in a row, listed first on 28 ballots and second on the other four to win by a whopping 100 points. He beat out St. Louis' Tony La Russa, who also finished second last year.

Voting for all BBWAA awards takes place after the regular season and excludes the postseason.

In his second season as manager, the outspoken Guillen guided the White Sox to the best record in the AL (99-63) and a World Series sweep of Houston for their first title since 1917. His small-ball approach was a big hit in Chicago — he loved to bunt and hit-and-run all season.

Cox, whose Braves have won a record 14 straight division titles, was honored for the fourth time, tying La Russa for the most ever.

Houston's Phil Garner came in third with 38 points, 14 behind La Russa. Washington Nationals manager Frank Robinson received a pair of first-place votes and finished fourth.

The banged-up Braves were forced to use 18 rookies this year but still extended their streak of division titles. They were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by Houston again.

Cox also won Manager of the Year with Atlanta in 1991, the start of its incredible streak of division titles, and 1985 with the Toronto Blue Jays.

I can't say I'm surprised. I don't necessarily agree with Cox being Manager of the Year, but that's just me.