Republicans refuse to honor Springsteen

cheaptrick77

(by Donna De La Cruz, Associated Press Writer)

WASHINGTON -- Bruce Springsteen famously was "born in the USA," but he's getting scorned in the U.S. Senate.

An effort by New Jersey's two Democratic senators to honor the veteran rocker was shot down Friday by Republicans who are apparently still miffed a year after the Boss lent his voice to the campaign of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

The chamber's GOP leaders refused to bring up for consideration a resolution, introduced by Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Jon Corzine, that honored Springsteen's long career and the 1975 release of his iconic album, Born to Run.

No reason was given, said Lautenberg spokesman Alex Formuzis. "Resolutions like this pass all the time in the U.S. Senate, usually by unanimous consent," he said.

Telephone calls to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's office seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Lautenberg said he couldn't understand why anyone would object to the resolution.

"Even if the Republicans don't like (Springsteen's) tunes, I would hope they appreciated his contributions to American culture," Lautenberg said.

Corzine said he, Lautenberg and other Americans appreciated Springsteen's contributions to American culture.

"We'll never surrender looking for ways to honor our local hero who made it big in this land of hopes and dreams," Corzine said.

Springsteen endorsed Kerry last year, and made campaign appearances that drew huge crowds who came to hear music described in the resolution as "a cultural milestone that has touched the lives of millions of people."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is getting ridiculous ! :no:

I’m not a huge Springsteen fan, but there is no doubt that he is one of the best songwriters of our generation. Born To Run is an essential recording.

'betcha the GOP would bend over backwards to honor that no-talent bumpkin Toby Keith :whistle:

"Born in the U.S.A." by Springsteen did not paint a very complimentary picture of the U.S.A. . :thumbdown:It shouldn't matter that Springsteen was ,or was not honored by Washington. His work should be the only thing he is judged by.:guitar: May be New Jersy can erect a huge statue of Bruce in the harbor to compete with the Statue of Liberty.:no:

Originally posted by reddmutt1898

"Born in the U.S.A." by Springsteen did not paint a very complimentary picture of the U.S.A. . :thumbdown:

your right, all patriotic music is good, everything else is bad. Where is a statue of Lee Greenwood? god i hate liberals, they have that stuff called taste........

Originally posted by Seminole44

the fact that congress is voting on bs stuff like this is ridiculous in the first place....shouldnt they be doing more productive things like figuring out the social security problem or something....leave the honoring of musicians to the Grammy's....

i agree that its pretty much a waste of paper, but on these little honorary votes it takes them about 2 minuets to vote of it, and its pretty dang easy to approve. i just dont see why they wouldnt say "I" and get it over with

Originally posted by Seminole44

the fact that congress is voting on bs stuff like this is ridiculous in the first place

Oh, I agree -- perhaps I should have expanded on my point.

These "honorary" bills happen all the time (and only take a few minutes, as Colligula said).

Maybe I am wrong, but I can't seem to remember one of these ever being refused for consideration before.

The sheer partisanship was my main complaint ...

Originally posted by Camusmind

Just like Toby Keith made music that people growing up in trailers could relate to...Springsteen made music that told the story of millions of blue collar Americans.

With that statement, Im convinced that your collar is yellow just like your spine.:w00t::whome:;)

Originally posted by Voted4Dubya

[ C E N S O R E D ] Springsteen

We should pass a resolution honoring the Man in Black

Amen. Springsteen will just have to wait until his liberal friends are in charge in Congress again......................looks like he may NEVER get the recoginition. :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Originally posted by sppunk
Originally posted by reddmutt1898

"Born in the U.S.A." by Springsteen did not paint a very complimentary picture of the U.S.A. . :thumbdown:

Neither did the prisoner abuse, but you still support the troops.

:there:

You mean the prisioners being held at "gittmo"? They are and have always been treated better than they would treat any person that they would hold prisioner. Yes I support the troops they are assuring that the war is not fought here in our back yard. The troops deserve all of the support that can be given to them.