Blalock to the Marlins?

woodgie07

Originally posted by woodgie07

It's been rumored that Texas and Florida are in talks over a deal that would send Hank Blalock and either Thomas Diamond or John Danks to the Marlins for Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell. Here's my question: Why hasn't Texas finalized this deal yet?

Exactly. I would get the papers drawn up and signed ASAP with that one. Or whatever they have to do.

Originally posted by rabbitts&canes

i like the blalock for beckett trade as long as it DOESN'T involve pitching prospects.

Same here -- I know potential is just that, but I want Diamond and Danks' future more than Beckett's present.

Give 'em Mench and Soriano for Beckett and a Minor League infielder ;)

No way I would give up Diamond and Danks. I hope they know what they are doing. I will always keep in mind that prospects usually end up missing rather than reaching stardom...........but Diamond and Danks have been promoted so much by the media and you feel like they are old vets and they haven't been anywhere but the minors...so far.:sweat::sweat: !!

Mench and Soriano would be a bad deal for everyone. One, Texas would be getting ripped. Two, it would cause a mess in Flordia, unless...

Texas gets either Juan Pierre or Luis Castillio, and let Soriano play where the other one goes. Even though Soriano will never move to the outfield, and the Marlins will not deal Castillio. If they give up Mench and Soriano it would be horrible but Blalock and one of the young guys. Your not going to get a guy of Beckets stature without giving something up.

In order to achieve success, you have to be willing to take risks. The Rangers have taken several risks in the past that don't make sense. This deal makes a lot of sense. You give up a guy who could be a flop for a guy who is a proven big league pitcher. Like I said earlier, the addition of Lowell will make you forget about Blalock. Lowell can put up similar, if not better, numbers.

This trade is good because beckett is a good pitcher but i dont know if they should get rid of blalock because hes coming off of a decent season and lowell is coming off his worst season yet. I just feel like it hurt them to get rid of blalock and exspecially Thomas Diamond who is an excellent young pitcher in the minors, but thats just the way i feel.

I have absolutely no problem dealing Blalock. He can't hit lefties and the past 2 seasons has tanked after the All-Star break. Plus, getting Lowell gives them a better hitter against left-handed pitching, which is a weakness in the Rangers lineup.

As for Danks, I'm not sure. I'd rather give him up than Hurley, Volquez or Diamond, but I don't know if I want to give any of them up.

One rumor that I am hearing is that the Rangers are holding up the deal to try and see if they can move 1B prospect Adrian Gonzalez to another team for a pitching prospect that the Marlins would take rather than any of the prospects that are currently in the Ranger system.

yah im not a ranger fan or a marlins fan, but i personally see this trade as being a bust for the Rangers....i know the rangers need pitching, but they need PROVEN pitching....Becket is great at times, but he's been over-hyped since the world series a few years back and really has never been the same....if u look at his record its not the greatest, somewhere around .500 and thats with most of his games at pitcher friendly marlin stadium or whatever they call it now....he's been suspect at best....lowell will come in and be adequate replacement for blalock...im not a ranger fan so i dont know for sure, but isnt blalock a fan favorite? also the marlins have been known to get the better ends of deals especially when it comes to pitching prospects....a few years back they traded for a prospect that no one ever heard of name Dontrelle Willis...the two ranger prospects are know and being called cant miss...you gotta think the marlins know what they're doing trying to get one of them....

From today's Dallas Morning News

By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News

The Rangers are ready to make the necessary compromises in order to complete a deal to acquire potential ace right-hander Josh Beckett from Florida.

Now, it's up to Florida to make a decision.

While the Rangers, according to a club source, inched forward Sunday and agreed to include one of their top two pitching prospects along with third baseman Hank Blalock in a deal for Beckett and Mike Lowell, the Marlins were also considering an offer from Boston.

"It doesn't benefit anyone for me to comment on trade speculation," said Rangers GM Jon Daniels.

On Saturday, Rangers sources said if the team included left-hander John Danks, the club's top pick in 2003, a deal could be struck by the end of the weekend. The Rangers were not willing to go that far on Saturday, but had reconsidered Sunday. The Rangers are now willing to give Florida its choice of Danks or 2004 No. 1 pick Thomas Diamond.

The Red Sox are the lone remaining obstacle. Boston is reportedly offering shortstop prospect Hanley Ramirez and one of its own pitching prospects, either right-hander Anibal Sanchez or left-hander Jon Lester.

What is clear is that the Marlins want to shed serious amounts of payroll. Dealing Beckett, and especially Lowell, will help them accomplish that. Lowell is due $18 million over the next two years. Beckett, who is eligible for salary arbitration, is expected to make about $4 million in 2006.

Who ends up with Beckett could in large part depend on just how drastically the Marlins want to reduce payroll. Blalock, 25, will make $3 million in 2006 and another $10 million over the next two seasons. That would be a large commitment for the Marlins to undertake – if they don't turn around and trade Blalock for more young players. Under that scenario, Florida could potentially realize more return from dealing with the Rangers than with Boston.

The advantage for Florida of dealing with Boston is in cost. Ramirez, who turns 22 in December, would make only the major league minimum ($316,000) in 2006 and would allow the Marlins to fill a hole created by the free agency departure of Alex Gonzalez. Boston, however, could up the ante by including more in the deal. The Red Sox's biggest shortcoming in failing to return to the World Series was a lack of starting pitching.

For the Rangers, the lure is Beckett, plain and simple. The Rangers have long sought an ace-type pitcher in free agency and have come away empty. They also came up short in trade talks with Toronto about Roger Clemens before the 1999 season. The Yankees ended up with Clemens.

Beckett, 25, has already pitched like an ace in the 2003 postseason, when he compiled a 2.11 ERA in 42 2/3 innings and shut out the New York Yankees in Game 6 of the World Series to win the World Series MVP.

He has not, however, had a true breakout season. He went 15-8 in 2005, but it was the first time in his career he's won more than nine games. He has not yet reached 30 starts or 180 innings in a season. And he's been on the DL, mostly with blister problems, seven times in the last four seasons.

He comes with risk. All pitchers do. But the Rangers feel like they may be about to acquire the kind of pitcher whose rewards far outweigh the risks involved.

The Rangers are now willing to give Florida its choice of Danks or 2004 No. 1 pick Thomas Diamond.

Oh boy -- my mental crystal ball sees Beckett going 12-16 with the 2006 Rangers, 9-12 with the 2007 Rangers & Thomas Diamond going 20-7 with the 2009 Marlins :wacko:

... I'm hating this deal more and more each minute.